Windows 7 Virus = BSOD = Desperate for help

wtang00

Hi,

I desperately need help. My computer has a virus and as a Diploma Architecture student with only weeks to go until my final hand in, I am close to having a panic attack.

I opened a file that I'd downloaded and it immediately crashed my laptop - I'd scanned the file with Microsoft Security Essentials and it had said 'no virus detected' altho this has clearly been shown to be the case. In the zip I noticed that there were 2 other files with the .exe file I clicked - one being a .info file and the other being some other system type file I can't remember the ext of.

After double clicking the file, my laptop immediately restarted. When I try loading Windows 7 normally, the laptop freezes shortly after I enter my password.

If I enter safe mode, the laptop will give me the blue screen of death after I enter my password, with the message 'IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL'.

Strangely, when I tried to enter 'Safe mode with Command Prompt', it just loaded up Windows in Safe mode (no command prompt) and I would get the blue screen, as described above, although after a few attempts it finally has allowed me to reach DOS command line.

I tried to run Microsoft Security Essentials from Command Line; although on my first attempt, I yet again got the blue screen after spending about 10 mins in DOS.

I tried again, and Safe Mode+Command line seems stable on this 2nd attempt; I am currently running a full system scan using Microsoft Security Essentials from Command Line - The scan has yet to complete.

I wanted advice on how I should proceed. I'm no expert at all, but from what I read, I suspect that my registry is now corrupt and will need repairing, even if the virus scan manages to locate and delete the original virus. If I am wrong here please let me know, or otherwise confirm.

Could someone please offer me some advice on what I should do next?

Apologies for the lack of specific technical info about my laptop setup. As mentioned, I am merely a layman and not sure what info I need to post. If you need further info, please advise me what it is you need and how I can go about collecting the data.

Thanks in advance,

Will

wtang00:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
If you are convinced that it is a virus, I would recommend looking into this Link Removed - Invalid URL since you are unable to boot reliably into the operating system, this will allow you to boot from the Rescue CD and perform a comprehensive virus scan.
I recommend that you download this as well http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/guides/kasp10.0_rescuedisk_en.pdf and familarize yourself with page 51 / 52 on how to update the current signatures.
You may also consider a system restore to a restore point before the problem occured, however, if the virus is still on the machine it will not likely help much until you eliminate it.
Start System Restore from a command prompt
Backup, backup, backup.

Thanks for the help Trouble.

I managed to fix it in the end. I ended up using the command 'bootrec.exe /fixMbr from command line and everything is back to normal.

I'm guessing the .exe file I clicked on messed up my boot file and this command managed to restore it back to how it should be.

Thanks again for your helpful response; I did download the boot CD you mentioned altho I managed to resolve it whilst waiting. Will be sure to keep a copy for future use.

Back
Top Bottom