Windows 10 Where are the system icons located

Vetral32

Hi so I was trying to change one of the system icons but I can't do that without knowing what dll it is in or wherever. Here is a picture.

npepnBi.png

I was talking to a person before and he said it could be done but not easily. He said to look in *imageres.dll* and *shell32.dll*. I looked but found nothing. By the way the picture was edited, I didn't actually find out how.

Thanks - Vetral32

I don't think anyone is going to have the answer for you. I can tell you from running procexp that the notification icon is part of the explorer.exe process. This is a list, at least on my system, of everything explorer.exe has a handle to. You may or may not want to look through every dll and see if you can locate the icon.

Attachments

• explorer.exe.txt
    35 KB · Views: 854
Maybe I can change it because I found it in resource tuner (right clicks explorer.exe open in resource tuner) but I need to ask my friend which is a genius of computers to see if it will break my pc. Thank you!

Good call, looks like you would need to replace Ordinals 183 - 218 with the correct sized icons as listed in Icon groups 20101-20104

I would be sure to make a backup copy of explorer.exe before you change anything.

I need an action center icon thats 16x16 but can't find an accurate one. Do you have it or no?

Everytime I open the edited explorer.exe I get this :

THIS APP CANNOT RUN ON THIS PC
Check with the application developer

help!

It may not run because it's a signed file and no longer can be verified because you made changes to it. You may have to revert back to a backup. Hopefully you followed my suggestion to keep a backup.

Yes of course I was in command prompt.

(What I did in command prompt)
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
C:
cd windows
del explorer.exe
ren explorer2.exe explorer.exe
explorer.exe (CANT RUN)
del explorer.exe
ren backupexplorer.exe explorer.exe (NO PERMISSION)
(OPEN COMMAND PROMPT ADMINISTRATOR)
C:
cd windows
ren backupexplorer.exe explorer.exe
explorer.exe
exit

Back