Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
Well last week they released an update that bricked Windows 7 64 bit systems on reboot. It's constantly mentioned as a problem in crash dump analysis. I quit using it years ago when it caused problems and I couldn't get a reasonable response out of their forum.
Joe

i'm extremely surprised not to hear anyone endorse avira antivir personal. i have been using it for quite a long time, for exactly the reason this thread was started, and haven't had to worry about it in all of that time. it is really light on the computer's resources, and seems to take care of anything that comes along.

I had Avira once. However was satesfied with Avast more. Don't really remember the reason but something made change my mind when I was going throw anti-viruses looking with what I should replace Nod.

I Use AVG 2011, Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes, I'd personally stay away from Norton and Avira, I feel sorry for anyone that have them, but I just think they are too Bloated and too many options for my liking, and yes I'am a IT Expert and even for me they're too much.

Don't know what and why people are fussing over the AVG 2011 and the Windows 7 64bit Bricking problem I have AVG 2011 and the Windows 7 64bit Professional Version and had that update and it didn't brick any of my 3 computers which all have AVG 2011 and the Windows 7 64bit Professional, all the computers that I have seen bricked have been scanned and have had the 64Bit Aleron Root kit.

I would consider MSE and Kepasky AV or proberly Nod32, But not any of the others.

I Use AVG 2011, Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes, I'd personally stay away from Norton and Avira, I feel sorry for anyone that have them, but I just think they are too Bloated and too many options for my liking, and yes I'am a IT Expert and even for me they're too much.

Don't know what and why people are fussing over the AVG 2011 and the Windows 7 64bit Bricking problem I have AVG 2011 and the Windows 7 64bit Professional Version and had that update and it didn't brick any of my 3 computers which all have AVG 2011 and the Windows 7 64bit Professional, all the computers that I have seen bricked have been scanned and have had the 64Bit Aleron Root kit.

I would consider MSE and Kepasky AV or proberly Nod32, But not any of the others.

Your computer did not reboot before AVG fixed the issue, and that's why you didn't face the problem directly and got lucky.

How wide was that window between the update that bricked and for AVG to fix it? 2,5,10,25,45mins? because all my computers restart as soon as AVG updates. by the way my computers have AVG 2011 and Windows 64bit and certainly don't have the 64bit Aleron Rootkit and all the computers that come into work, Bricked seem to have AVG 2011, Windows 7 64bit and have found to have the 64bit Aleron Rootkit, the manager say's it has something to do with the 64bit Aleron Rootkit and the AVG 2011 update, something sus and fishy going on here?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast for WinXP because they are free, but NOD32 is better.

I use Avast on My Computer Vista 32 connected to 42 inch TV, I use Kaspersky on my Laptop running Vista 32 and will until license expires then I will switch to MSE. I use MSE on my main machine running W7 Pro 64 bit, and MSE on mt XP virtual machine

I use kapersky Internet Security 2011. When the subscription runs out I will probably go to Avast. Also aren't Anti Viruses THEMSELVES good at taking out Malware? Like I thought you don't really need something like MalwareBytes when you have some AV already installed....

I do not count on any one program to cover everything, that is why I do not use a suite. I use Maleware Bytes, Super Anti-Spyware, and Spyware Blaster on all my machines along with the AV program on the various machines. This pretty much covers all the bases, what one program might not catch the other ones usually do and will. I could add a Trojan hunter program. However since 1993 I have only found 3 Viruses/Trojan's trying to attack my machines. The various programs I was running isolated the problem and removed the problem/s

Well said Super Sarge. When dealing with an illness even on your computer, a second opinion is always a good idea. Sort of like seeing a second doctor in real life. Additional or supplemental programs using different detection methods/algorithms is genuinely a good idea and often one will find something that the other hasn't. Sort of like wearing a belt and suspenders, never hurts to take extra steps when it comes to safety and security. Of course the best antivirus/antimalware on your computer is you.

Last edited:
I used to use AVG but moved to AVAST after a number of false positives and problems downloading the AVG updates.

AVAST works just fine as far as I can tell.

I have used many of the Commercial Versions available, AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, McFee, I have switched now to Norton Internet Security, I have found the newly engineered versions NIS 10 & 11 be be the most efficient and leaves the least footprint of any, system always works, always updates and in my opinion has a top level surveilance built in. I guess that it is a matter of preference as they all have plus and minus features, as long as your preference keeps your system clean and does not slow it down that is all that you would want----I'm for Norton.

Back