Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
been using Microsoft Security Essentials, doesn't hog resources, and it's free from the people who made your windows 7, ya know?

MS security essentials is a resource hog. My system almost ground to a halt until I uninstalled it and installed Avast.

"MS security essentials is a resource hog."

The above statement is 100% false, people... please, note this is NOT the case, in reality.

"been using Microsoft Security Essentials, doesn't hog resources, and it's free from the people who made your windows 7, ya know?"

Absolutely true & the logic does make sense, once again.

Cheers,
Drew

How do you explain the fact that when I uninstalled MS security essentials and installed Avast my PC stopped lagging? I know that you are an ardent supporter of anything Microsoft but many people had problems with security essentials using high CPU resources.

"I know that you are an ardent supporter of anything Microsoft" <--- that is not relevant, regardless of whether any truth in it or not. As an IT Pro, such as myself, one must be unbiased, accurate & factual. I do not know enough about your machine to explain any "lag"...could be due to many things but, not MSE, alone. And, MSE is NOT resource-demanding. And that is not opinion or hearsay but, simply, a fact.

Discussion is likely to be more skewed by Anti-Microsoft feelings that have been blatantly exhibited by you than anything coming from others. No offence meant, just commenting on the obvious

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
So Avast is more friendly to Win 7 than MS security essentials? Because that is exactly what I encountered. I uninstalled ONLY MS security essentials and installed Avast and my PC literally WOKE up! How do you explain that?

i used avast for awhile, it was ok, but not as good as mse, in my experience.

Last edited:
i use mse, made by windows, its free, and i think it's Much better than avg. malwarebyte's antimalware runs well with mse, too.

AVG.

But I might soon Try MSE or Malwarebytes.

What one should I choose? :)

No reason to choose.
I am running both. Windows Defender (formerly MSE) is native and installled and running by default with Windows 8 (which may be an issue when running a second Anti Virus program simultaneously). But my installation of MalwareBytes Pro runs fine alongside of Windows Defender, without any problems.
Regards
Randy

No reason to choose.
I am running both. Windows Defender (formerly MSE) is native and installled and running by default with Windows 8 (which may be an issue when running a second Anti Virus program simultaneously). But my installation of MalwareBytes Pro runs fine alongside of Windows Defender, without any problems.
Regards
Randy

As does, PCTools Threatfire, which is free and provides Real-Time protection.

Don

Jude,

Seems like I need to clarify something for you, immediately. There is no choice to be made between those 2 things as, they are 2 different things. One can NEVER put 2 anti-virus programs in the same machine simultaneously. I would recommend MSE over both AVG & Avast. However, Malwarebytes is not anti-virus; it is anti-malware. It is ok to have both MSE and Malwarebytes installed in the same machine. Although, MSE is both a-v & a-m, one can use more than one a-m utility (scanner), just not more than one a-v.

Ergo, a choice between the 2 does not apply. The recommendation is use MSE & not a bad practise to run Malwarebytes, as well, say, weekly.

Cheers,
Drew

Jude,

Seems like I need to clarify something for you, immediately. There is no choice to be made between those 2 things as, they are 2 different things. One can NEVER put 2 anti-virus programs in the same machine simultaneously. I would recommend MSE over both AVG & Avast. However, Malwarebytes is not anti-virus; it is anti-malware. It is ok to have both MSE and Malwarebytes installed in the same machine. Although, MSE is both a-v & a-m, one can use more than one a-m utility (scanner), just not more than one a-v.

Ergo, a choice between the 2 does not apply. The recommendation is use MSE & not a bad practise to run Malwarebytes, as well, say, weekly.

Cheers,
Drew
Thank you, Drew :thumbs_up:

Jude,

Cheers,
Drew
I agree with Drew here. NEVER use more than one Anti virus at the same time! One thing I like about AVAST is its SANDBOX feature. Anything suspicious or potentially harmful is opened there and cannot infect your machine! Also the ESET online scanner is very good as a once in a month choice!

Back