Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
I'm finding that Avast AV Free and Internet Security 2013 do a real good job, comparable performance to the big guys (Norton and McAfee; both of which I run on my machines and my Client business machines). Avast IS 2013 is about 1/2 the first-time purchase cost AND on the annual subscription cost compared to Norton & McAfee. I've been using Anti-Virus programs since 1980 back in the days of FPROT (before Windows was around) so I have some experience there.

Norton & McAfee are up to charging $60 a year for their subscriptions, and Avast is around $25-$50; depending on when they are having special deals. I have a Customer who just got a 2-year deal on their Avast IS for $60; so $30 a year; 1/2 the price of the big guys. And I have had Customers running Norton AND McAfee bring me in their severely disabled computers with the FBI Ransomware virus even when they are running their top of the line proudcts and are completely updated! After switching a Client with an infected computer that slipped through Norton or McAfee, I have had no repeat infestations. After all, 184 Million people run Avast now worldwide, I think that's a statement. :up:

I believe Avast is somewhere around #3 or #4 in the U.S. quality-wise and gaining market-share fast. Don't what the marketing guys have to say about sales statistics; but, if you are going to pay for professional quality protection, but your computer is still catching mass-infection malware, you have to wonder what you or your Client's are paying for.

For the Corporate IT types reading this, Avast certainly doesn't have the inroads into Enterprise Security like CA type products costing thousands, and Norton & McAfee still do the best job with the big corporate networks, but don't be surprised if you seem them soon!

I've deployed Avast now on about 25 client machines or so since 2012, and am very impressed indeed. I highly recommend their products for pay-level protection. If you are insisting on using a Free AV product or anti-spyware or anti-malware; my current model is to deploy between 4-6 Malware products running in the background as a 2nd line of defense to the Avast. This has been working well. I also suggest you look at MALWAREBYTES and TREND MICRO, who have very strong products which are both free.

My 2 cents. :nerdie:

Cheers!

BIGBEARJEDI

There is no need or sense for paying for security. Especially when there is free security that is far, far better than Norton. Most IT Pros (& countless others) know this. We run around removing Norton & giving clients, better products & better performance.

Cheers,
Drew

Ok then what is the best free AV and it is any better than MSE? I presujme that MSE is Microsoft Essentials.

Microsoft security essentials MSE is the best in my opinion free antivirus program for windows 7

Sent from my iPad using WindowsForum

MSE/Windows Defender on Windows 8. Free and doesn't affect system performance much. It does good at finding malware. In reality I personally don't really need an antivirus because I've only seen a system exploit once on a computer without the latest updates.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using WindowsForum mobile app

i just want to put some questions here as is it wise to go for freebie AV software ? are they of enough potential to put a sturdy check on sorts of threats ? and finally .. why MSE is the best among the rest?

I used Eset Smart Security but am not crazy about Firewall. So I managed to get a copy at a great deal of Webroot Antivirus but now need a good Firewall to work with it. Or just how good is Windows 7 firewall or is there something I can add to it. I have private downloaded but sometimes I think it needs an update and more options like the old Zonealarm. Just had to redo my computer so want to make sure of the best firewall to put on it. Preferrably a free one that is not complicated or has strong Hips programs that will conflict with Malware-Bytes.

I used Eset Smart Security but am not crazy about Firewall. So I managed to get a copy at a great deal of Webroot Antivirus but now need a good Firewall to work with it. Or just how good is Windows 7 firewall or is there something I can add to it. I have private downloaded but sometimes I think it needs an update and more options like the old Zonealarm. Just had to redo my computer so want to make sure of the best firewall to put on it. Preferrably a free one that is not complicated or has strong Hips programs that will conflict with Malware-Bytes.

Some of what you have written I cannot understand what you are meaning to say but, sorry, I can't make sense of it. I am not a big fan of Webroot, @ all, but, that's neither here nor there, right now. To answer your query, use the OS Firewall and, no, don't add anything to it although, again, I am not sure what you mean by that. One must only use ONE software firewall @ a time in a machine; unless one is behind a router, that is acceptable, in addition to the OS firewall.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

i just want to put some questions here as is it wise to go for freebie AV software ? are they of enough potential to put a sturdy check on sorts of threats ? and finally .. why MSE is the best among the rest?

Patti,

Depending which free one, yes, it can be quite alright.

Well, MSE is good enough to be embedded in Windows 8. Would not make any sense for MS to give End Users something crappy. It comes from the same lab fighting global malware. It plays nicely w/ others... fully auto, no fuss, no muss. Just simply works well and does it's work quietly.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

MSE/Windows Defender on Windows 8. Free and doesn't affect system performance much. It does good at finding malware. In reality, I personally don't really need an antivirus because I've only seen a system exploit once on a computer without the latest updates.

Joe,

In reality, YES YOU DO!! No computer should ever be on the Net, for any length of time, w/out protection. Nor does your reason for not needing an AV hold water... there is no logic or merit to the rational you cite. It's the same as having no health or car insurance or being HIV positive & having unprotected sex. Computers have security BEFORE they get sick or spread disease. To say go w/out because of what never happened (past tense) has NOTHING TO DO w/ prevention of what CAN happen.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Joe,

In reality, YES YOU DO!! No computer should ever be on the Net, for any length of time, w/out protection. Nor does your reason for not needing an AV hold water... there is no logic or merit to the rational you cite. It's the same as having no health or car insurance or being HIV positive & having unprotected sex. Computers have security BEFORE they get sick or spread disease. To say go w/out because of what never happened (past tense) has NOTHING TO DO w/ prevention of what CAN happen.

Cheers,
Drew

View attachment 25883

You are right that I'm basing my opinion on what my experience has been. I have faith that my web browser's sandbox will block every known security risk and patches will fix exploits as they are discovered. It is true that I'm at risk of hitting an exploit before it has been patched, but the Window UAC will contain any possible damage.

What's the worst that can happen then? I copy my days to 4 locations which aren't at risk of the virus touching. Thus, I'm not worried about data loss. They could possibly get my LastPass password, but 2 factor authentication would block them from using it. They could start looking through my documents for private information. I'm in the process of setting appropriate permissions on those files to prevent access.

I use Process Explorer often enough that any suspicious process won't go unfound for more than a day even if it uses no resources.

Part of my job is actually removing viruses from computers. Thus, I would not need to pay anyone to fix it, and if it's not obvious I wouldn't really care if I need to reinstall Windows.

So in reality my situation does not require an antivirus because I have taken the precautions that are needed in case a virus slips past an antivirus, which does happen to some people. I do have an antivirus though; it makes life a little more worry free.

I would never go without a correctly configured firewall which is technically all that is needed to connect to the internet. But when using a web browser or almost any internet client precautions need to be taken such as an antivirus.

You are right that I'm basing my opinion on what my experience has been. I have faith that my web browser's sandbox will block every known security risk and patches will fix exploits as they are discovered. It is true that I'm at risk of hitting an exploit before it has been patched, but the Window UAC will contain any possible damage.

What's the worst that can happen then? I copy my days to 4 locations which aren't at risk of the virus touching. Thus, I'm not worried about data loss. They could possibly get my LastPass password, but 2 factor authentication would block them from using it. They could start looking through my documents for private information. I'm in the process of setting appropriate permissions on those files to prevent access.

I use Process Explorer often enough that any suspicious process won't go unfound for more than a day even if it uses no resources.

Part of my job is actually removing viruses from computers. Thus, I would not need to pay anyone to fix it, and if it's not obvious I wouldn't really care if I need to reinstall Windows.

So in reality my situation does not require an antivirus because I have taken the precautions that are needed in case a virus slips past an antivirus, which does happen to some people. I do have an antivirus though; it makes life a little more worry free.

I would never go without a correctly configured firewall which is technically all that is needed to connect to the internet. But when using a web browser or almost any internet client precautions need to be taken such as an antivirus.

You are missing the point. You can risk making your own machine sick if you want. But, by using no protection you risk helping to make other computers sick. You have to right or business putting others @ risk. If you are no going to use anything, stay off the Net.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

You are missing the point. You can risk making your own machine sick if you want. But, by using no protection you risk helping to make other computers sick. You have to right or business putting others @ risk. If you are no going to use anything, stay off the Net.

Cheers,
Drew

View attachment 25885

Lol. What? If I got a virus that an antivirus would catch then how is that going to infect a computer with an antivirus?

By "Net" do you mean my own personal LAN? Any computer outside of my LAN has a firewall to protect it or it's most likely already been infected. Maybe you are taking about public Wi-Fi hotspots which Windows warns are dangerous and sets the firewall to block everything, essentially eliminating any risk.

How am I putting anyone in danger? I must be missing something.

Trying to protect your computer by eliminating the existence of risks is unrealistic and will probably never happen. You need to protect defensively to the extent that someone actively trying to hack your stuff can't get in (e.g. patch, update, firewall your own devices instead of telling other people to never get malware, because it will happen to somebody).

Lol. What? If I got a virus that an antivirus would catch then how is that going to infect a computer with an antivirus?

By "Net" do you mean my own personal LAN? Any computer outside of my LAN has a firewall to protect it or it's most likely already been infected. Maybe you are taking about public Wi-Fi hotspots which Windows warns are dangerous and sets the firewall to block everything, essentially eliminating any risk.

How am I putting anyone in danger? I must be missing something.

Trying to protect your computer by eliminating the existence of risks is unrealistic and will probably never happen. You need to protect defensively to the extent that someone actively trying to hack your stuff can't get in (e.g. patch, update, firewall your own devices instead of telling other people to never get malware, because it will happen to somebody).

No, I mean the Internet. This is not a topic to debate. Any computer connected to the Internet for any length of time must have protection. Period. It is bad & dangerous for that machine and w/ that machine being vulnerable that machine can then be used to propagate infections to other machines (on the Web). Either way running a machine on the Internet w/out security protection is just plain wrong.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Back