Windows 10 Win 10 Freezing after startup

MortenAbra

Hello Windows Forum.

When i boot my pc and log into windows I'm able to use it as normal, but after 10 - 15 minutes its freezes and I'm not able to do anything, I have to press my restart button to use it again. After the restart there is no more freezes.
It only happens after a full shutdown.

I have tried to reinstall windows 10 and tried to install windows 7, but it happens no matter what.
I've tried to start in Safe mode and that works without any problems.

My PC specs:
MOBO: MSI X99 SLI-PLUS
CPU: Intel i7 5820K
RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400MHz
HDD/SSD: 248 GB ScanDisk Ultra II SSD - Intel 520 128 GB SSD - Seagate 1TB HDD
GFX: PalitJetStream GTX 960
PSU: Cooler Master 750 Watt PSU

My pc is not overclocked.

- Morten

Attachments

• W7F_09-01-2016.zip
    278.2 KB · Views: 411
Hi,
I checked your zip file but it didn't contain any dump files. As your not actually getting any blue screens I've moved your post to the correct section.
Try running these scans:

Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

As it sounds like a driver which is causing the freezing have you checked your event logs to see if any driver is being mentioned?

Also check the Task manager under 'Start up' and see what is starting up with Windows and perhaps causing the possible freezing.

I have the exact same issue if I install newer versions of the Nvidia graphics driver. My computer will completely lock up, mouse does not work and keyboard doesn't work and it never blue screens. I ended up using the update disable diagnostic cab from Microsoft to hide the Nvidia updates.

Thanks for the input.
The first scan didn't find anything, and the second one finished without problems.
I added a picture of my Start-Up page.

Attachments

• 8db616de96f51c3f4752eb7ec2a1b175.png
    8db616de96f51c3f4752eb7ec2a1b175.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 327
Hmm... Well out of all the apps starting up the only one which might give issues ( and this is just a guess) is the Razer Synapse app. I only say this because a friend of mine had a lot of problems with it and in the end stopped using it.
If your pretty sure when the issue starts why not try monitoring your processes? You may see something start up which trips the freeze. A really good application for monitoring processes is Process Explorer:
Process Explorer

I just got another freeze, but I had Process Explorer open at the same time, so I took at picture of the Process Explorer.

Attachments

• 12516974_10208861312198091_623925243_o.jpg
    12516974_10208861312198091_623925243_o.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 289
Looking through nothing seems to jump out as a possible culprit. What about the event logs, did you manage to have a look at them?
Also has this freezing started recently or has it always done it?

The freezing have been occurring for 5 months or so...
I've just looked at the event logs at see a lot of criticals and errors, but i don't know what to look for..

Attachments

• cf0ef7e952e6dbca479d61c1746a234d.png
    cf0ef7e952e6dbca479d61c1746a234d.png
    100 KB · Views: 307
If you click on the plus next to 'Critical' you'll see what the critical events were. Post the details if you can.

Here's a picture of the critical, error, warning and some of the information tabs.
The second picture is a picture of the Adminstrative events.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 380
  • 2.png
    2.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 354
I can see you had two Event 41 which basically means the machine rebooted without shutting down cleanly first. Unfortunately however it doesn't say what caused it.
Is your system drivers and Bios the latest versions?
You can find Windows 10 drivers for your system here as well as Bios updates. Please double check all downloads are correct:
MSI Global

Which security apps do you use?

Also please ensure your settings are set like this in case you bsod:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

If changing/updating your drivers/Bios above doesn't help then it might be worth trying the driver verifier but before you do you'll need to create a recovery USB/Disk. Let me know if you already have one.

My settings are the same as the ones you wrote in case of bsod.
I had a little setback.. When I used the MSI software to update my bios it failed. So I had to to switch BIOS (I have a multi-bios switch).
My system drivers are the latest and soon the BIOS too, when its fixed. :)

Back