Windows 7 Win7 Freezes randomly

After a few more weeks I finally found the root cause for my hangups: process rasautou.exe hangs. rasautou.exe is the process which creates a dial-up connection (i think). It first occupies all my available memory and hangs my computer for about 4-5 minutes. Afterwards I regain mouse control (barely) and I can slowly open task manager and try to kill it. After 5-6 "end process" clicks, it finally dies.
I have all the network fixes found here but this did not help. I do not have a solution for this.
If anyone knows a solution, please let me know, because this has been going on ever since the first betas appears (for windows 7).

The program rasautou.exe version 6.1.7600.16385 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 103c
Start Time: 01caacb0be9af091
Termination Time: 0
Application Path: C:\Windows\system32\rasautou.exe
Report Id: 48675a34-18a4-11df-9e24-89022235c7b3
CoId={0E9E34DB-BE7C-477C-87D1-9826BE077C55}: The user BROCK-PC\BROCK dialed a connection named RDS Broadband Connection which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 651.
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: rasautou.exe
P2: 6.1.7600.16385
P3: 6.1.7600.2.0.0
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\BROCK\AppData\Local\Temp\RDRD578.tmp\empty.txt

These files may be available here:
Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: b9f0e359-18a4-11df-9e24-89022235c7b3
Report Status: 0
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: rasautou.exe
P2: 6.1.7600.16385
P3: 4a5bcce1
P4: 3b1f
P5: 0
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\BROCK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3276.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\BROCK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3544.tmp.xml
C:\Users\BROCK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3600.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\BROCK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER99F4.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\BROCK\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppHang_rasautou.exe_31e7aa58767488fece1a915fd2375fa768fa7c2_cab_16049b36

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 48675a34-18a4-11df-9e24-89022235c7b3
Report Status: 6
CoId={0E9E34DB-BE7C-477C-87D1-9826BE077C55}: The user BROCK-PC\BROCK has started dialing a Broadband connection using a all-user connection profile named RDS Broadband Connection. The connection settings are:
Dial-in User = ********
VpnStrategy =Not Applicable
DataEncryption = Requested
PrerequisiteEntry =
AutoLogon = No
UseRasCredentials = No
Authentication Type = PAP/CHAP/MS-CHAPv2
Ipv4DefaultGateway = Yes
Ipv4AddressAssignment = By Server
Ipv4DNSServerAssignment = By Server
Ipv6DefaultGateway = Yes
Ipv6AddressAssignment = By Server
Ipv6DNSServerAssignment = By Server
IpDnsFlags =
IpNBTEnabled = No
UseFlags = Internet Connection
ConnectOnWinlogon = No.

I would just rename the file but it's probably malware or trojan trying to dial out. You'll probably have to run takeown and icals to get access to rename it.

How to fix rasautou.exe error

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks, but it's not a malware or trojan/virus. It's a Microsoft executable and it's opening when I'm dialing my usual PPPOE connection. It just so happens that sometimes it freezes everything.

If you are dialing you must be using a modem and the modem is probably sharing an interrupt. If you can move it to another slot it will use a differrent IRQ address and if there is an irq conflict it should go away.

**possible fix**worked for me**

I went through my event logs ... and what would happen was that the disk defragmenter would kick in and that would be the last thing in the event log before the computer was touched again and started to show events related to reawakening. So I disabled the disk defragmenter as a service and now no problems for 3 or four restarts from an idle state!

I see no reason why a disk defragmenter needs to run as a service, but I also know nothing about computers. :cool: Any words of warning would be appreciated, but for now it's disabled.

I also took these steps (to no avail), but I gathered them over the last 2 months of this "freezing when idle" problem occurring.

-I turned all power options to never. In the end this didn't matter, I reset all the defaults in the "Balanced" plan. BTW, I've also found that, in effect, the "Power Saver" plan default is close to the same thing as changing all the display and sleep options to never.
-I uninstalled AVG 9.0, reinstalled AVG 8.5, uninstalled AVG 8.5, uninstalled Spybot (reversed all changes first), installed Security Essentials (Microsoft), ran Windows defender. I ran scans for all these programs, tried "idling" with them all in place, none of these have had an impact on my problem. In the end, I'm using Windows Defender instead of Spybot and Security Essentials instead of AVG. Again, any words of warning about this alignment are more than welcome.
-I went to the Windows 7 tweeks (Windows 7 Tweaks, Tricks, Tips, Secrets, Shortcuts, Solutions and Fixes) and disabled 3 or 4 services like bluetooth and obvious stuff I don't need. I also disabled indexing on the C drive. I haven't noticed much of a difference, but I haven't done much changing here. Some good tips on that site though, thanks! I did install the Startup Monitor.
-After all the uninstalling of security software I ran Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.
-Oh, I also ran uninstall kits for Norton, McAffee, and AVG. I wasn't sure if my Sony came with Norton or McAfee so I ran both to root out an crap they left behind. It's possible when all this started in November is when I uninstalled the anti-virus software that came with this Sony VGN-NS305D laptop and put AVG 9.0 in it's place...but, again, wrestling with these software programs isn't what seems to have fixed the freezing.

DISABLE DISK DEFRAG!

Or at least check your event viewer for what happens before your computer goes into a freezed up state and look at disabling that.

Would it be possible that I have a hardware issue if disk defrag can't stay on as a service? Part of me gnaws at the fact that I have to disable something that shouldn't need to be...I guess as long as I run the defrag occasionally I should be okay?

Thanks!

I went through my event logs ... and what would happen was that the disk defragmenter would kick in and that would be the last thing in the event log before the computer was touched again and started to show events related to reawakening. So I disabled the disk defragmenter as a service and now no problems for 3 or four restarts from an idle state!

I see no reason why a disk defragmenter needs to run as a service, but I also know nothing about computers. :cool: Any words of warning would be appreciated, but for now it's disabled.

Thanks!

Check the link in my tagline. I've had a lot of services turned off AND I totally removed my Task Scheduler.. about 4 months ago and it makes my system run perfect.

here are 3 dump files......not sure what to make of them.....white screen and computer is hung up. Thanks.

Attachments

• DumpI.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Dump II.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 345
  • DumpIII.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 357
Windows 7 ultimate x64 freezing up

Hello all, like many of you i have the problem of my windows freezing whether it be idle or in active use, sometimes it takes a minute another time it takes an hour.
I've been looking through these threads for 3 days now applying any solution that could help but so far none have. I switched off indexing, got all the newest drivers for my hw disabled a couple options and programs in task, my auto hide is turned off etc, none of it works. Currently i'm running a memtest and have completely disabled aero and we shall see how it goes.

The most often that my pc freezes (it's in total lockdown, can't move cursor, alt+delete+control, alt+tab doesn't work) is when i'm on the net with mozilla firefox (version 2.0) or using utorrent (ver. 2.0)

As i'm writing this memtest finished without any errors.

My pc configuration is:

FSP500-60GLN 500W+ APFC ATX power adapter
MSI X58 Platinium, MS-7522 1.x, X58/ICH10R motherboard
Intel Icore 7 920 2,66 Ghz/2,4 Ghz, 8mb processor
ATI RADEON HD4850 1GB
3GB DDR3 1066 Mhz by Hynix in tripple channel
Samsung HD753LJ 750 GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Please help, i really would like for these freezes to stop but i don't know what to do, not too confident with the inner workings of windows and i want to use a clean install ( which is also not a fail-safe action) unless it's the only thing left to do. Please help :(

Did you look at the event viewer for the last event(s) that took place before the computer went idle? For me it was commonly the disk defragmenter that would lock things up so I disabled it as a service.

Did you look at the event viewer for the last event(s) that took place before the computer went idle? For me it was commonly the disk defragmenter that would lock things up so I disabled it as a service.

The thing is that i don't really "get" the event viewer :(. I do have some power kernal errors but that's just me rebooting the pc. So far my pc with all aero settings disengaged had not frozen so i'll see. If it makes it till tomorrow night without a hitch then i'll try with the defragmenter. If it freezes earlier, then i'll uncheck it faster.

The thing is that i don't really "get" the event viewer :(. I do have some power kernal errors but that's just me rebooting the pc. So far my pc with all aero settings disengaged had not frozen so i'll see. If it makes it till tomorrow night without a hitch then i'll try with the defragmenter. If it freezes earlier, then i'll uncheck it faster.

Try going to Start and typing in "Event Viewer" and it will pop up. Select it and go to "Windows Logs" and then go to "System" and look at the time of your last shut down, then look at the events leading up to it. For me, there was always a point in time where all things stopped recording. For instance, at night it would say things were happening up until about 30 minutes after I stopped using the computer, then nothing at all until the morning when I first touched the mouse pad. This was were the disk defrag was listed as the last event and was causing the freeze. (BTW, I can't resume the computer now with the mouse pad, I have to touch the power button which is like a sleep button I guess, or I have to touch a key to resume from sleep. I feel better with all the power settings back to default at least :))

Try going to Start and typing in "Event Viewer" and it will pop up. Select it and go to "Windows Logs" and then go to "System" and look at the time of your last shut down, then look at the events leading up to it. For me, there was always a point in time where all things stopped recording. For instance, at night it would say things were happening up until about 30 minutes after I stopped using the computer, then nothing at all until the morning when I first touched the mouse pad. This was were the disk defrag was listed as the last event and was causing the freeze. (BTW, I can't resume the computer now with the mouse pad, I have to touch the power button which is like a sleep button I guess, or I have to touch a key to resume from sleep. I feel better with all the power settings back to default at least :))

I checked it out and there was one warning followed by my reboot and it's wlan-autoconfig. Might this be the problem?? Another thing, i have a butt load (seriously really a lot) of events titled service control manager that updates itself every couple minutes. During the time i had a freeze this app is updated several times during a second , i counted something like 30-40 for one second.

Another thing, after switching off all eye candy in system properties=>adv system prop.=>adv tab=> performance settings i have not had a freeze which should have happened under normal circumstances. What do you make of that?

I don't think the "Service Control Manager" is your problem. I have tons of those too and they are just a general term. If you highlight each one listed, it should have some different information about what specifically happened in the "General" tab below. That's what you should read. I would look at the events before the freeze up which lead to you shutting off the computer. If it was the auto config wlan or whatever maybe that is some issue. However, I think your problem may be different than mine if the computer is still running services that register in the Event Viewer during a freeze up because mine was a clean stop during the freeze. NOTHING was being recorded in the viewer for that period of time, so I deduced that it was the last event recorded.

I don't think the "Service Control Manager" is your problem. I have tons of those too and they are just a general term. If you highlight each one listed, it should have some different information about what specifically happened in the "General" tab below. That's what you should read. I would look at the events before the freeze up which lead to you shutting off the computer. If it was the auto config wlan or whatever maybe that is some issue. However, I think your problem may be different than mine if the computer is still running services that register in the Event Viewer during a freeze up because mine was a clean stop during the freeze. NOTHING was being recorded in the viewer for that period of time, so I deduced that it was the last event recorded.

Well no matter how i look at it my computer has not had a freeze after i turned off all aero functions. I'll start activating features again one by one and see at what point does the system become unstable. Windows 7 is very nice but it kinda sucks that i have to give up the eye candy just to make it run without fail.

Thanks for the help anyways.

TBD --- I have no idea if this is a cause of anybodies symptoms let alone mine, but here is something interesting I found....

I was having "memory" issues recently - SOMETIMES running a memory test produced random errors. Not usually what one would expect from memory failures.
In the process I went to BIOS and realized though my CPU Vcore was set to "normal" it was indicating about 0.04v lower than "normal" -- 1.236 vs 1.275 - that isn't much but with today's processors the increment on the voltage settings is 0.00525 on my MB.
I have now raised the setting to 1.3125v and it is indicating 1.268v to 1.284v in BIOS and 1.264V in Windows with CPUz.

You may want to check this if your problem is "strange". It just seems to me that much difference has to be problematic.

I have a brand new N71JQ-A1 and can barely use it due to windows freezing every 2-3mins and having to reset. my specs are i7-720QM ati mob 5730 4gb ddr3 win 7 64bit. event log always has kernal info before a freeze. It says processor 0 in group 0 exposes the following : 2 idle states event ID 26(theres a few of these). then next kernal info is ACPI thermal zone ACPI\thermalzone\ thrm has been enumerated. _PSV=396k TC1=2 event ID 89. then just before crash it says info HECIx64 Intel management engine interface driver has started successfully event ID 2. WTF is going on its a brand new computer and I can barely use it. Ive tried a few dif things but to no avail Ive restored to orginal setup. I had AVG and uninstalled ive put performance on high ive disabled a few things Im at wits end.

runs fine in safe mode btw but WTF would be causing it
take that back just froze in safe mode trying another system restore if it lets me :( not happy

Last edited:
ive found the problem. i upgraded to ati catalyst 10.2 and it was causing it to freeze dont know why but since i did a re-install back to 10.1 problem free

OK, guys, I have the following problem:
I have a MSI VR700 notebook here with Win7 Ultimate,
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2080
RAM: 2x1GB DDR
MB: Intel 945 Express Chipset with integrated GMA video.
SND: Realtek ALC883
NIC: Realtek ... (whatever)
Wireless: Ralink RT73
All with latest drivers from manufacturers' websites.
From the "Balanced" power plan I have configured when I close the lid, nothing to happen and never to turn off the display. I close the lid (less dust gathering) & leave it downloading some stuff from teh interwebs for a couple of hours. When I return, I open the lid, the screen is black and the system is 100% unresponsive. No mouse movement, no CTRL+ALT+DEL, nothing works except hard-reset (holding down the power button). Help? ;(

Back
Top Bottom