Windows 7 Win7 Freezes randomly

Sounds like screen saver or something in the power -saving settings or hibernation/sleep is kicking in .. and when it does... system locks up. Turn OFF hibernation and go to the Power optiosn and say never never never on everything and reboot... then let it sit and see if it locks up.

I would strongly suspect the graphics drivers you are using are not ready for prime time.

LiBi
Pure guess and I don't know if u went down this path -
since it appears that it doesn't freeze when u "keep it busy" it could be something like indexer, AV, etc. that runs in the background and reads a "drive". If the drive has issues, it may be hanging when it hits bad spots on the drive. Since a problem occurred on OS install it could be a HD read problem. I would do a HD diag and look carefully at the SMART data if it has that. If u been there, done that, sorry............

I am not sure if this will help anyone else but I fixed my freezing problem and my BSOD problem.

I was on the phone with MS support for quite a while and he had me upgrade my nvidia driver in safe mode. That solved a few issues but he also asked if I was running a UPS on my system. When I said yes, he asked me to remove the computer from there and plug it directly into the wall.When I did this, the crashes were much improved but not 100%.

Then, I figured I would check my power supply. I realized that my new video card (PNY GT220) required 12v and 18amps to run. My power supply was only putting out 12v and 16amps. I went out and purchased a new power supply that gave the correct voltage and amperage to the video card and I have not had a crash or any problems in 3 days.

My system is as follows for reference....

Motherboard - Gigabyte MAX79OX-UD4P
Processor - AMD Phenom II X3 Black Edition, running at 2.8GHz.
Ram - 4 Gigs, DDR 667
Video - PNY, GT220 with 1 gig DDR2
Windows 7, 64bit Upgrade, clean install (Retail box)
Hard Drives - 4 WD, 1.5 tb

I hope this helps one other person... I was an hour away from scrapping Windows 7 for Vista.

I'll have to remember that.... I know that if you add new hardware the power supply may not be sufficient. I couldn't get my system to run with SCSI hard drives one time... until I found out that I needed a bigger powerer supply.

In here we usually assume people had a working system and only experienced problmes BECAUSE they upgraded to 7. Hardware problems seldom come into play.

Hi everyone , i have the same problem with Windows 7 Professional x64 Retail

<Event xmlns="Link Removed due to 404 Error">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-07T17:54:56.969216600Z" />

<EventRecordID>7615</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Chicoz-Seven</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I updated everything : bios , video card , sata driver , audio etc. I tested removing audio card , usb perif. , desactivating aero etc but i still get thoses random freeze.

anyone can help ? im losing patience with that......

Yeah , and in a new hard disk. 0 data before on it so.

As you already know.. these freezing and death screen errors are the most difficult to fix. Most are related to upgrading but when you do a clean install you have to suspect hardware problems.

So.... I probably would start with resetting my cmos. Then check through it... one guy reported that he found the cause of his system freezing .... his floppy drive was enabled in the cmos and he didn't have a floppy drive. Others have found that their usb devices were the cause... when they disconnected their usb devices and just used the old style kb and mouse the problem went away... they eventually found the drivers. Remember, win 7 finally with current drivers was shipped July 22.... and there are a LOT of driver updates for win 7 since then. You need to run Device Manager and look for conlicts... bad drivers, etc.

If you can get to the administrative logs under Event Viewer /custom.... there may be a useful report.

I had to flash my cpu to make Windows 7's new features available.

There are over 100 scheduled task.... they go off randomly to gather diagnostics... RAC and others that send the reports to Microsoft have been known to cause internet connections to be droppe... they could be causing lockups.

Of course av and firewall programs cause big time trouble.

As already pointed out... a weak power supply causes freezes... especially after you have added new graphics cards and extra hard drive.

Your new hard drive could even be deffective.. not likely but it happens.

...and this is just a few of the possibilities.

Windows freezing and crashing

:confused:My Windows 7 freezes or crashes my system at least once an hour. I have disabled all startup programs but notice the problem occurs after using either MS Outlook 2003; Explorer 8 or MS Money Ver 12.0

My question - is Windows 7 compatible with Office and Outlook 2003? Can I uninstall Explorer 8 and return to Explorer 7? It does freeze less frequently with Firefox but then the Outlok will cause the next crash.

I posted this a day or two ago in a seperate thread, but I reposted it here hoping it gets a bit more traffic. Sorry for any troubles this may cause.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this problem with video playback freeze. Not total system freeze but close to it with very very slow response.

My Video playback freezes after anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes into a movie. This happens with AVI's as well as DVD's on hard drive. Never happens with streaming video such as Netflix. And, I haven't really played a physical DVD all the way thru since every movie is saved to the HDD where I want them.

I can now predict just before it's going to occur by the hard drive activity LED going 100% just before it freezes. With Vista the only thing I could do was do a hard reboot, but with Windows 7 I can move the mouse to hit the stop button. After a few minutes the hard drive activity stops and I can hit play to continue the playback at least for another 10-15 minutes until the hard drive goes crazy again and we do the same thing again.

I've searched just about every forum website and have yet to get this issue figured out. This issue actually started with Visa X64 Ultimate and continues today with Windows 7 X64 Ultimate RTM. I have replaced every component of my system other than the case and hard drive. The Windows 7 is a clean install with minimal other software installed.

Current Hardware/OS:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz AM3 CPU
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H AMD785G Socket AM2+ MB
OCZ Vista Performace Ed. 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 Video Card - 512MB DDR2,PCI Express 2.0 to my 47" 1080p LCD via HDMI
Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RTM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 - hard drive - 1.5 TB - SATA-300

Note: The only item that was carried over to the newest setup is the HDD. This may be the smoking gun. The HDD is partitioned with a 120GB C: and the the rest of the drive is partitioned as E: and is where all the video files are stored.

I have disabled all screensavers, sleep mode, hard drive shutdown, indexing service (was never enabled) and problem persists.

My original system only used a Athlon X2 so when it froze I could not get any response and had to hard reboot, but with the X4 CPU at least I can move mouse to hit the stop and wait for the HDD to settle down. I upgraded to the X4 and a separate video card thinking that the problem was too much CPU load during playback.

The only thing I haven't tried is adding a seperate SATA HDD and moving the video files to it. Do you think that may be the answer? Do you think this might be page file related due to the crazy HDD activity just before and after the freeze?

I have noticed that 99.9% of the time it never does this when only I'm watching a video, but happens ALL the time when the wife is watching a video with me, usually just after I tell her I think I figured it out.
Do you think there may be a connection??:rolleyes:

I'll take any advise/comments/suggestions that anyone can offer.

Thanks HTPC.

Hmph, still having the same problems and none of the suggestions here seem to work. System crashes randomly when browsing the web and when on iddle with no applications running. The system does seem to think that I have a floppy drive installed (which I don't) but I can't see that causing any of my problems. I have also tried to disable the floppy drive from bios, but everytime I boot up windows says that is has detected a new device and installed it succesfully. I have also tried the latest display drivers and I also did a roll back, which didn't fix the issue. Have tried updating the display drivers in safe mode as well.

Hmph, still having the same problems and none of the suggestions here seem to work. System crashes randomly when browsing the web and when on iddle with no applications running. The system does seem to think that I have a floppy drive installed (which I don't) but I can't see that causing any of my problems. I have also tried to disable the floppy drive from bios, but everytime I boot up windows says that is has detected a new device and installed it succesfully. I have also tried the latest display drivers and I also did a roll back, which didn't fix the issue. Have tried updating the display drivers in safe mode as well.

What device is it installing everytime? Even if it thinks you have a floppy drive I'm pretty sure windows can't touch your bios to add it. Make sure it's not selected in your bios.

You may need to clear your bios.. sounds like windows may be getting a phantom device detected.

Hi
I've just joined this forum as I have installed Win7 home premium and I have something like this.
It doesn't actually fully freeze it just goes to 97-100% cpu usage, it has done this whilst working a few times but it is usually when I leave it with nothing running instigated by me, my only way out is to press restart and wait for around 7-10min's and it will eventually restart and work normally.
I looked at a thread on here with much the same and the person disabled the "high definition audio controller" which cured it, I've done this but it didn't work for me.
I've looked in the resource monitor when it happened last and I found this to be using the cpu at 97-100%
"system interrupts-deferral procedure calls and interrupt service routine", I've tried reformatting and doing another clean install in case it was a corrupt install but to no avail.
I also have a problem with an SD card read, I have a usb multi-card reader and if I put an SD card into it win7 says to use it I must format it (fine on my other PC which is still running XP home), bit of a bugger as this would as you know destroy my pictures.
I thought OH well s-!t or bust go for it, it then said it can't format it as it's write protected even though it isn't, all other types of card are fine in that reader.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Hi
I've just joined this forum as I have installed Win7 home premium and I have something like this.
It doesn't actually fully freeze it just goes to 97-100% cpu usage, it has done this whilst working a few times but it is usually when I leave it with nothing running instigated by me, my only way out is to press restart and wait for around 7-10min's and it will eventually restart and work normally.
I looked at a thread on here with much the same and the person disabled the "high definition audio controller" which cured it, I've done this but it didn't work for me.
I've looked in the resource monitor when it happened last and I found this to be using the cpu at 97-100%
"system interrupts-deferral procedure calls and interrupt service routine", I've tried reformatting and doing another clean install in case it was a corrupt install but to no avail.
I also have a problem with an SD card read, I have a usb multi-card reader and if I put an SD card into it win7 says to use it I must format it (fine on my other PC which is still running XP home), bit of a bugger as this would as you know destroy my pictures.
I thought OH well s-!t or bust go for it, it then said it can't format it as it's write protected even though it isn't, all other types of card are fine in that reader.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

First, try the diagnostice in the message recomment in my tag line.

It should give you a tip as to what is conflicting. . then try to disable the device that you can do without... long enough to see if that solved the problem. When you disable a device you have to reboot.

Also, since this seems to happen mostly when the system is idle, I would set the power options to NEVER

There are several of them... click Start and type Power Options to get to them.

Hey chaps, afraid I have to add to the list here.
I've been running Win 7 Ultimate x64 for quite some time now with zero problems. I just built my new rig yesterday and installed 7 again, installed all updates, drivers, programs etc. and I've come across an issue. It ONLY occurs when I open a web browser, whether it be IE8 or Chrome, both do the same thing.
Immediately after opening either browser Windows hangs, it lasts anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute, ish. During this time I can still browse the web, albeit with small pauses or hitching, but Windows is basically frozen, the mouse cursor is fine when I'm in the browser but as soon as I move it over the task bar or any open program other than the web browser the loading ring pops up and spins and I cant click on anything, it has no effect. Then after about a minute everything goes back to normal, Windows is responsive as usual and the web is fine. Everything is cool until I open either web browser again and then the same thing happens.

I just finished running checkdisk with zero problems, the registry is clean and defragged, ran ccleaner multiple times 'til all was well.
The services suggested here and elsewhere have been disabled as needed,(and checked individually to make sure was not the cause).
I can not find any errors in device manager related to the network adapter, my internet speeds are good but not quite what they should be after that initial freeze up passes.
I booted in safe mode and tried both web browsers and still have the issue there. Tried a selective startup too, same thing. I'm running out of ideas now, I'd really rather not reinstall Windows again as it took all day yesterday to get things up and running, but I will if I have to.

System specs if it might help :

Phenom II X4 965 125w @ 4.02 Ghz
MSI NF980-G65
4 gb G-Skill Trident DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) @ 2475 mhz
EVGA GTX295 Co op
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1250w psu
WD Drives

The system has run through multiple stress tests to ensure the overclock is stable so I don't think thats the problem.

If you need any more info let me know and thanks in advance.

I'm finding this all too hard can't seem to get anywhere with any thing, probably end up going back to XP.
Shame as things do seem to work faster with 7 but I'm having too many problems, as well as the SD card problem I now find that after installing the software for my Sony handy cam mini DVD camcorder, it claims that the disk isn't supported whether via camcorder or in DVD drive.
Also screen size and icon size is constantly changing, today every thing was large including task bar then a windows update warning arrived I accepted and when it was finished every thing was small again, and the program icons in the start menu have all disappeared but if you hover over "show all programs" they are there, also there is an Nvidia graphic driver from Microsoft that continually fails.
It even went to 100% CPU usage straight from start up this morning.
Getting depressed now I'm obviously not as computer literate as I thought.
Also I set my power options to never straight away after installing, I've had problems with thing shutting down in the past.

been there, done that!!!!!!!
I can tell u I have had the "little" problem on a couple of my systems.
Getting the right video driver is what appeared to fix it and it wasn't what M$ sent in an update.
I am still having freezes but not on a regular basis. I had one that came every 60 sec and lasted 10 sec. I turned things off then back on again and at some point it went away and, I think, everything that was on is still on so I have no idea what the cause was. The 100% CPU usage during the 60/10 freeze matched DPC latency but I still haven't figured out which DPC it came from.

I assume it is a COM port as this is typical Windowz operation to wait for a COM port to respond to a query.
It may have something to do with ur USB ports since u seem to have an issue with that.
I had a system running XP that wouldn't boot because I had a bad USB port and it just sat there waiting for a response on boot that never came. I had to replace the MB because the USB ports were built in.

Have u tried running any of the things that worked in XP in XP MODE? Maybe u will find a clue in that.

I can't sleep my DT (connected to a UPS) because it wakes up confused, but my LT (with a dead battery) sleeps and wakes up just fine.

"WINDOWS 7 WON'T HAVE ANY OF THE PROBLEMS WINDOWS VISTA HAD!"..... yep, M$ has created new problems so u can't use the experience of Vista, or XP, or 98 to fix them.

BUT on the other hand, the reason MAC doesn't have THESE kind of problems and charges u more for less is that they have captive hardware. This is also the reason most people have little problems with Windowz laptops. If u built ur own laptop, as u do a desktop, the same issues would be there.

ergo... it is hardware related so keep playing with drivers and settings and it will smooth out (maybe).

Well I fixed it, I uninstalled Hamachi and no more freezes, net speed is back to full too.

Must have been a firewall problem. You may want to consider the utility Microsoft released a few weeks ago:

Microsoft SharedView - Connect with up to 15 people in different locations and
get your point across by showing them what's on your screen. Share, review, and
update documents with multiple people in real time. Best of all it works well
through firewalls and routers so you don’t have to worry about connection
issues.

Back