Windows 7 Win7 Freezes randomly

Hi, I'm a computer jargon noob so go easy on me ;)

Basically, I did a clean install 2 days ago, and although there was some problems, I fixed them with the help of my friend. This leaves me on my final problem - The freezing.

I did what you said by looking at the event viewer, and every single one event (before the "unexpected shutdown" I had to cause to gain use of my PC again) is this:

30v2c0w.png

Thoughts?

EDIT: Did some reading and the atikdagm driver is causing the problems.. I have no idea what this means :p

I went through the device manager and searched each fo them for driver updates and everything is up to date *shrugs*

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a computer jargon noob so go easy on me ;)

Basically, I did a clean install 2 days ago, and although there was some problems, I fixed them with the help of my friend. This leaves me on my final problem - The freezing.

I did what you said by looking at the event viewer, and every single one event (before the "unexpected shutdown" I had to cause to gain use of my PC again) is this:

30v2c0w.png

Thoughts?

EDIT: Did some reading and the atikdagm driver is causing the problems.. I have no idea what this means :p

I went through the device manager and searched each fo them for driver updates and everything is up to date *shrugs*

Yep.. I found a fix with the correct Ati drivers and posted to my blog here.

Yep.. I found a fix with the correct Ati drivers and posted to my blog here.

Hi... Thanks very much :D

But I can't find the blog post.. Which post is it in?

EDIT: evermind I found them, but I'm on 32-bit. Will this still work?

Last edited:
Hi... Thanks very much :D

But I can't find the blog post.. Which post is it in?

EDIT: evermind I found them, but I'm on 32-bit. Will this still work?

NO.. but you know what will fix the problem. When you find the drivers and verify they work ... share the link for other 32 bit users

NO.. but you know what will fix the problem. When you find the drivers and verify they work ... share the link for other 32 bit users

Ok... This was in the related downloads on the page that tblount has a link for.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.2〈=English&rev=9.10&ostype=Windows%207%20Beta%20-%2032-Bit%20Edition

EDIT: I have now instaled, and I will report back tomorrow. In the couple days I've had the problem it's done it maybe 4 or 5 times a day. So if I have nothing between now and tomorrow night, I think we may have a winner :)

Last edited:
Hey Kris,

I had the same problem. I eventually pointed it to firefox being the issue. Im not sure if your problem is the same but its worth a shot. Try uninstalling firefox and using IE for a while and see if that fixes your problem. I didnt read the posts i just replied to you so i hope im not repeating or the topic has moved on. lol

I'm having a similar problem to everyone else. Got Win 7 a couple days ago along with a Nvidia 260gtx. Installed Win 7, got that up and running then put the vid card in, everything was dandy. Updated all the drivers to Win 7 when available and installed my basic programs (word processing, web browsers, etc). Then the other day I was playing Arkham Asylum, and my comp froze. Did a forced restart and then everything went to hell. I can no longer access windows 7 or xp, everytime i try to run a disk check it restarts, ditto with the win 7 memory diagnostic, I moved the vid card to the other PCI express slot farthest from the chipset, moved the hdds to get better air flow and been running with the case open thinking it may have been heating issues, didn't work. Then i started removing ram dimms one at a time and testing thosem no dice so i bought 2 new dimms, still no go. For a brief time i was able to get win 7 to work for a few min at a time, but a few min later comps would restart, i was able to kinda fix it by using the system restore but that no longer works. I have also reformatted the windows drive and tried to reinstall XP and Win 7, neither works. Win XP partially installs but reboots, win 7 partially installs but then something weird happens and it wont boot. Tried booting in safe mode, but it get to loding the classpnp file and just stops.

System:
Athlon 64 x2 5600 2.8ghz
MSI k9n4 sli-f am2 nforce 500sli
600w PS
geforce gtx 260 core 216 896mb
80gb sata 7200rpm (OS HDD)
Kingston 4gb ddr2 667mhz (4 DIMMs)

I think some of the fixes given earlier would work, but since I can't actually get into windows, even in safe mode, i can't try any of them. Gotten a bunch of BSODs through the whole process, copied down all the error messages, but i can't find most of them online, and those that i can find can only be resolved by actually having access to the desktop., which i don't have.

Most recently: i cant even boot from the win xp or win 7 disks

Anything that I can try would be helpful.

Last edited:
Had the same problem

I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional onto my laptop and discovered the freezing. I, too, had Firefox installed. I removed it and everything is back to normal. I'm using Chrome now instead.

Windows 7 freezes after monitor sleep

I believe there is a glitch in the Windows 7 power management system. I found that if you turn off the "Auto-hide" on the "Task bar" Windows 7 power management correctly awakes from monitor sleep rather than freezing after monitor shutdown.

I ran win7RC for several months without any problems at all then upgraded from Vista ultimate (actually a clean install) to Win7 professional and then experienced the "freezing" whenever the computer was left unused for awhile. Like others I tried a techie approach and quickly ran out of gas. So I shut off all (and I mean ALL) settings permitting sleep,hybrid sleep,or hibernation. I also turned Autohide off on the taskbar.

Which of these worked I don't know - but I haven't experienced a freeze since.

abner 5

LATEST version - I have had many versions of this problem.

System would stop every 60 seconds for 10 seconds. It was very regular. It started as soon as the system was fully booted
It did not go away on any reboots till the programs were stopped.

I ran DPC Latency and when it stopped there was a VERY large latency spike. (10 sec is off the chart)
I stopped various services, disabled various hardware, and stopped programs from starting.
These were based on the most obvious - bluetooth, internet, and other things that were not essential.
None of the services affected it. I restarted them.
None of the drivers/hardware did anything. I re-enabled them.

When I stopped programs from starting on boot - the problem ceased.

I restarted the stopped programs one at a time. When I had them all running again - the problem DID NOT return so far - it has only been 30 min.

Right now it is as it was when I started the hunt, and it is running ok.

Is there something I am missing?????????

Wlan autoconfig is a service that polls for better connections every 60 seconds... gamers hate it because it causes a short pause.... and of course they get killed if they are playing a shoot-em-up game.

Click Start and type Admin and press enter to load the administrator tools. go to services and disable it and see if that resolves your issue. In my blogs you can also find reference to a utility that disables this. I couldn't get mine to stay disabled without the utility. Here is the link http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/ more info there about this

This is all a guess based on your notation that the problem shows up every 60 seconds. Seems strange it's the same intervals as wlan does scans.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my new installation of Windows 7 RTM 64-bit. So far this seemed to be the only place with decent Windows 7 -related troubleshooting and was also the first one to pop out via Google, so I thought some of you guys could lend me a hand.

Mmkay, so let's get to the chase...

System specs:

Mobo: Abit AB9 Pro
CPU: Intel c2d e6600 2.4Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS
RAM: Total of 6GB, 2x1GB kingston hyperx, 2x2GB kingston hyperx (the 2x2GB I installed just yesterday but I've been having the same issue without them as well)

The issue itself seems to be mostly browser related because often when I do a bit of surfing, everything freezes. The mouse cursor stops like it's hit a wall, keyboard doesn't respond to anything and no error messages are displayed. And, if I'm playing music the sound gets stuck to an infinite loop of really loud static noise. After this I'm forced to reboot via power button. This has happened with Google Chrome and Firefox as well. And i think it's worth mentioning that while editing my profile on facebook when using Chrome, this happened three times in a row. Might have something to do with the amount of load the browser has? Sometimes it happens immediately when I switch the browser on top, eq. last time I minimized an other window and Chrome came on top -> crash. This has also happened twice when my display was locked. Locked my display, took a little nap and came back to see that the OS had frozen to the login screen. Can this also be browser related if it was the last application on top when I locked my display?

No error messages are displayed in the event log. Only ones I could find, were performance related and logged during system startup, not during the crash. I also found from microsoft's site that these errors were standard in Vista atleast, and are nothing to worry about.

I saw an other related thread in here where I got some advice but none of the troubleshooting tasks there seemed to help. It seemed that many of the guys posting there also had Abit AB9 Pro as their motherboard, but no one seemed to be able to narrow it down as a motherboard related issue.

Only driver related to the motherboard, that I couldn't install/find, was the driver for the UGuru power management utility. I reckon there's a separate microprocessor called ABT2005 that does all the UGuru tasks. As I couldn't find the drivers for it, I disabled it altogether. I also can't seem to be able to find the latest BIOS update for my motherboard as ABIT's website doesn't work (I think they went out of business lately?).

Other things I've tried so far that didn't seem to help:

Re-installing Chrome.
Trying to run Chrome as an administrator.
Inserted the "--in-process-plugins" to the end of the target path in Chrome's shortcut properties.
Disabled all power saving related settings including sleep and turning off the display. Also disabled all options from the advanced power settings. I only left the "turn harddisk of after 20mins", and the processor related settings.
Disabled IPHelper and WLAN Autoconfig from services.msc and unchecked Ipv6 from connection properties.
Rolled back my display driver.
Did multiple virus scans.
Ran a system health report. Only note was about the UGuru related driver.
Tried default BIOS settings as well as clearing the CMOS.

Haven't done any troubleshooting related to Firefox as Chrome is my default browser. I've also ran into the issue with both, so I don't think any browser specific troubleshooting can fix the issue.

After further fidling, I noticed that while the system is in use it ONLY crashes when browsing. While on idle and all apps turned off it has frozen to the desktop as well as to the login screen while the display has been locked. So for now, it's not only browser related. This part of the text has been added later as I copied the above from my post on an other forum and didn't feel like editing it. Oh, and IE does the same as well. Strange thing is, that the only thing that makes the system crash in use, is browsing. When left on idle, it crashes randomly.

At this point I'm all out of ideas myself so any help would be highly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my new installation of Windows 7 RTM 64-bit. So far this seemed to be the only place with decent Windows 7 -related troubleshooting and was also the first one to pop out via Google,

That's stroking our egos... some of us here admit to being media whores!

so I thought some of you guys could lend me a hand.

If only I hadn't deleted that little animated gif of the clapping hands....

Mmkay, so let's get to the chase...

Why not... we are here to tell you that you need a new computer... ummmm you did say "get to the chase" ?

The issue itself seems to be mostly browser related

Enough said...

1.Get rid of thrid party browers... they aren't ready for prime time.

2. You are running 64 bit ... so do this

Go to program files and rename Internet Explorer.. just add an "r" you can't delet it but you can rename it.

Then go to program files (x86) and copy Internet Explorer to \program files

When IE first runs.... turn OFF updating. Do not update.

The 32 bit version of IE supports flash and siverlight media so you are go to go ..wherever you go.

Enjoy...

hey T
That was the FIRST thing I disabled. It is still disabled. Maybe it just didn't take affect until I went thru everything else.
I had rebooted plenty of times - like after each change. So that may be the answer - Then again maybe not. I don't have a wireless on this computer so maybe that's why it took 10 sec to recover. Only Windoz knows and it isn't telling.

OH BTW LiBi only asked for A hand. Clapping hands won't work. :)

Last edited:
Damn, I was hoping it would. Well... The main issue is not the browser anymore, rather the issues when the system's on idle. Doesn't matter if I'm in the login screen or at the desktop, the system still freezes within a couple of minutes.

It's got to be something that's running... did you download autoruns and run it to see what is loading?

If you just boot up and let it sit.. does it lock up?

Maybe it locks up when you type or move your mouse... possible USB port problem/conflict ??

Press Ctrl + shift + escape and whatch what the processes do with it idles... if something is running it should show up..

then go to performance and watch your memory chart... maybe memory isn't getting released and it's finally maxing out.

Before it locks up.. something must show an increase in demand ... normally I would suspect a virus but you did a clean install and haven't put on any software that could be carrying a virus.

Since Windows 7 got installed.. it shouldn't be a hardware/memory failure... or the install would not have been able to finish... which brings us back to driver conflicts and software doing something weird.

I don't think it's an USB port problem. I booted up my system, logged in and started mIRC and let it sit. I didn't start any other applications. When I came back a couple of hours later I took a look at the clock displayed in mIRC and it had frozen just 5-10 minutes later after I left. Same happened when I opened up just time properties and nothing else.

The weird thing is, that later when I started multiple applications like my browser, instant messenger, mIRC, winamp etc. and let it sit without locking my desktop, it didn't freeze.

But I'll try and see what happens if I just boot up, and let it sit without logging in (previously I just logged in and let it sit after and it froze exactly the same way). I'll also take a look what processes are running after boot up. Thanks for the info. ;)

The installation of the OS wasn't exactly easy either. It froze multiple times to different phases. When I cleared my CMOS and moved my mouse during the installation every minute or so, it didn't freeze and I got through the installation. This, on the other hand, seems like an USB port problem, doesn't it?

It's a strange world we live in.

To the users with freezing issues (hard freezing, where the computer does not come back to life without a hard reset),

Are any of you using wireless cards with RALink chipsets?

I have two Win7 x64 computers running two different wireless cards (acutally one PCI card, the other USB) based on RALink chipsets. Even with the latest drivers from RALink Drivers both machines would randomly freeze. When I uninstalled the drivers and removed the devices from the systems, the freezing stopped.

This was using the driver dated 9/25/2009 for USB (RT2870 /RT2770 /RT307X /RT2070 /RT3572), and the driver dated 8/24/2009 for PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x).

Back