Windows 8 Win8 Shows connected to internet, but unable to load any webpage/app

neok182

This is an Asus Zenbook UX32VD, it came with Windows 7 and i upgraded to Windows 8 on friday through the windows upgrade adivsor and everything went just fine.

I connected to my network and internet with no problems on friday, saturday, and even this morning.

Then upon opening the laptop a couple hours ago, i noticed my live tiles were not updating, then i tried to open a couple of them and they would not update, or not load. Then going to the desktop i opened chrome, firefox, IE, and a couple games, none could connect to the internet.

Now according to the computer, it's connected to my network and it says "internet access" i've done all the troubleshooting and nothing comes back with an error.

i opened an elevated command prompt and tried to ping my router and a bunch of websites and they all pinged just fine.

Then i tried restarting the router, restarting the computer, doing a system restore since it installed a couple updates yesterday.

no matter what i have done it's the same result. Windows shows connected to the internet and internet access, and pings work just fine, but nothing will actually load.

So i put this to you all here, help me please!

Quick update. I've done a dozen google searches with no help.

I also just tried to use my USB/Ethernet adapter and it does show me being connected to the network with internet access, but nothing actually loads.

tried pings again, worked fine.

tried uninstalling my anti-virus, no change. tried another system restore to the start of W8 instal, no change.

Sounds like you may possibly have a DNS issue perhaps.
Trying opening your browser and type this
into the URL address bar (not the search bar) and hit enter.
Let us know if Google loads as a result or not.

webpage is not available
error 118 (net::ERR_Connection_Timed_Out): The Operation Timed Out.

tried in chrome, firefox, and IE.

Open a command prompt and type]
ipconfig /all | clip

Then click the Post Quick Reply at the bottom of this post and click in the reply box and then Ctrl + V (paste)
and we'll have a look

hopefully this is it:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NeoUltra-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-85-08-3C-79-6E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-85-08-3C-79-6E

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-85-08-3C-79-71

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-85-08-3C-79-6D
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d0d4:d30f:6b05:5b6f%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.105(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 29, 2012 10:38:13 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:04:19 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 331646216
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-E4-93-FF-C4-85-08-3C-79-6D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.42.47.67
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{974179B3-8B9D-41F8-ADD6-A13EDB9CCA48}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:1823:fbff:47df:4a1d(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1823:fbff:47df:4a1d%16(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Open device manager
Expand Network Adapters
Select then right click the problem adapter and choose uninstall, if prompted choose to remove the associated drivers.
Reboot the computer and let the found new hardware wizard install the wireless adapter again, if prompted for the location of drivers point it to the one you just downloaded from Intel.

Open device manager
Expand Network Adapters
Select then right click the problem adapter and choose uninstall, if prompted choose to remove the associated drivers.
Reboot the computer and let the found new hardware wizard install the wireless adapter again, if prompted for the location of drivers point it to the one you just downloaded from Intel.

Well i went and uninstalled it and now i can't get past the lockscreen. Asks me for my password but i can't select the box to put it in. also can't shut it down or do anything other than move the mouse.

I have to force it off and same thing happens when it reboots. so yeah....

*edit* somehow was able to login. Reinstalled drivers. no change.

Network is connected, shows internet access and everything showing it working fine, but can't get any access to internet anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
You uninstalled your Intel Wireless Adapter and now you're unable to input either with your keyboard or pointing device. Don't believe I've ever heard of anything like that happening before.
Do you have a spare USB mouse you can connect to the PC. Then launch the On Screen Keyboard.
Any key on the keyboard will dismiss the lock screen and tab or shift tab should get you to the password box.

mouse was working and moving around but the system itself seemed to be locked up, wouldn't let me put in my password.

rebooted into safe mode and i could login and then rebooting normally seemed to fix it.

so i rebooted then installed the drivers again and no change.

everything shows that i'm connected and have internet access but still nothing can actually access the internet.

Can you use a browser to open your router's web interface http://192.168.1.1
If not you may want to try
1: shutting down everything and resetting your entire network. All computers, your ISP's device, and reset the router to factory defaults (usually a pin hole on the back or bottom) Make sure you device is trusted and not firewalled at the router.
2: Make sure the native Windows 8 Firewall is not blocking either port 80 or http protocol
3. Attempt to run you router without encryption briefly to test and see if that results in any different results. Then turn security back on. And experiment with WEP, WPA, WPA2, (AES vs. TKIP), etc.,
4. Consider removing Eset again maybe even follow up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool just to be sure that all remnants are gone How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET security product? - ESET Knowledgebase
5. Make sure there are no other 3rd part firewall products or security suites in play.
6. If you have experimented with any third party software like Connectify or even the Native Microsoft Hosted Network setup (turns you wireless adapter into a hotspot) please remove it.

You said earlier that you can ping other hosts including websites. Can you ping by name or only by IP address

Can you use a browser to open your router's web interface http://192.168.1.1
If not you may want to try
1: shutting down everything and resetting your entire network. All computers, your ISP's device, and reset the router to factory defaults (usually a pin hole on the back or bottom) Make sure you device is trusted and not firewalled at the router.
2: Make sure the native Windows 8 Firewall is not blocking either port 80 or http protocol
3. Attempt to run you router without encryption briefly to test and see if that results in any different results. Then turn security back on. And experiment with WEP, WPA, WPA2, (AES vs. TKIP), etc.,
4. Consider removing Eset again maybe even follow up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool just to be sure that all remnants are gone How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET security product? - ESET Knowledgebase
5. Make sure there are no other 3rd part firewall products or security suites in play.
6. If you have experimented with any third party software like Connectify or even the Native Microsoft Hosted Network setup (turns you wireless adapter into a hotspot) please remove it.

You said earlier that you can ping other hosts including websites. Can you ping by name or only by IP address

1) done. no change
2) checked, nothing blocking and windows 8 firewall is disabled
3) no change
4) no change
5) made sure. nothing other than ESET, all built in windows disabled.
6) haven't done anything like that.

I can ping by name and address. just tested with the IP address you posted and facebook, yahoo, google, twitter all worked. but can't load them in any browser.

And since i haven't mentioned it before, i have 3 other computers on windows 7, an xbox, android tablet, android phone and two DirecTV boxes that are showing no issues.

Check here
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
See if you have any entries in the hosts files that may be creating a local host loop an unaltered typical host file will look something like this
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
Close all browser. Open control panel, change view by: (upper right corner) to small icons. Open Internet options, select the Connections tab, Click the LAN settings button, uncheck all check boxes, OK your way back out of there and open IE and see if that makes a difference

Check here
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
See if you have any entries in the hosts files that may be creating a local host loop an unaltered typical host file will look something like this

Close all browser. Open control panel, change view by: (upper right corner) to small icons. Open Internet options, select the Connections tab, Click the LAN settings button, uncheck all check boxes, OK your way back out of there and open IE and see if that makes a difference

host file looks just like that.

Followed instructions and no change. still connected with internet access, pings in CMD work and just get waiting for 'site name'...

Open Task Manager (may have to click the more details arrow)
Under the processes tab look to see if you have something called mDNSresponder.exe running.
If so let us know.
If you open a command prompt and type
ping "www.google.com" without the quotes, you get for replies with zero packet loss?

I do not see anything with that name running. rebooted and checked again, still not there.

I get four replies with varying times and 4 packets sent, 4 received lost =0 (0% loss)

Back