Windows 8 Win8 Shows connected to internet, but unable to load any webpage/app

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-85-08-3C-79-6D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d0d4:d30f:6b05:5b6f%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.105(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 29, 2012 10:38:13 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:04:19 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 331646216
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-E4-93-FF-C4-85-08-3C-79-6D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.42.47.67

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Would you please try
Changing the value of your DNS server address to 192.168.1.1(Preferred) and only that leave the alternate blank manually in the properties of IPv4 in the properties of your wireless network adapter and uncheck the box next to IPv6 and see what happens.
Do another ipconfig /all and paste it here please.

no change. :apologetic:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\System32>ping Google

Pinging Google [74.125.139.99] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.139.99: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=45
Reply from 74.125.139.99: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=45
Reply from 74.125.139.99: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=45
Reply from 74.125.139.99: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=45

Ping statistics for 74.125.139.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 44ms

C:\WINDOWS\System32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.105
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C3596D73-2E43-406C-A854-C44B663C152B}:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:953c:3c4f:11f3:47df:4a1d
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c4f:11f3:47df:4a1d%15
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\WINDOWS\System32>

Don't see the DNS server listed for your Wireless LAN, probably because you left off the /all switch from the command. I assume it is properly reflect in the actual results and showing 192.168.1.1

If so and that had no impact on the problem then you can return it to automatic.

So you can ping host out on the internet by IP and FQDN (fully qualified domain names) so it would seem that there is nothing wrong with the network. But you cannot load a web page which would suggest that there is a problem with either internet port typically port 80 and or internet protocol(s) like HTTP.

This would suggest that either or both are being block at the router either by MAC address filtering or perhaps SPI (stateful packet inspection) but you say you have reset the router to factory defaults so I wouldn't expect either to be on by default and that other hosts on your LAN work without issue. So assuming there is nothing overly complicated in adding a trusted node to your router's LAN configuration that would seem to leave;

Software.... either firewall or security suite network filters. But you have indicated that you have removed your security software and disabled the native windows firewall without positive results. So....
Hold the WinKey and strike the R key and type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter
Select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
In the box labeled "This connection uses the following items:"
examine what is checked and confirm that there are no filters associated with any such software.
Then as a last resort let's try resetting the IP stack and the winsock catalog and see if that helps
Open an elevated command prompt
Bottom left corner of the screen, right click the widget and choose Command Prompt (admin) and type
netsh winsock reset
hit enter
then type
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
hit enter
reboot
These two commands are usually intended to address network issues.... which you do not seem to actually have, so I am not expecting them to have any positive results in addressing the actual problem which seems to be only opening an actual web page in a browser.
You may want to run the native system file checker instead and see if there is any system file corruption, so....
Again from an elevated command prompt type
sfc /scannow
hit enter
see what that produces.

Last edited by a moderator:
i pressed win+r and it brought up the run window

Since i don't really know what's what in here i'm just going to list them all

check - client for microsoft networks
check - epfw ndis lightweight filter
check - qos packet scheduler
check - file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
check - intel centrino wireless bluetooth + high speed protocol
NO check - microsoft network adapter multiplexor protocol
NO check - microsoft LLDP protocol driver
check - link-layer topology discovery mapper i/o driver
check - link-layer topology discovery responder
NO check - internet protocol version 6
check - internet protocol version 4

I reset the IP stack and no change

Currently doing the sfc scan

OK depending on the results of the system file checker?
Let's consider uninstalling all your currently installed browsers, Chrome, Firefox and IE (for IE use the control panel-> programs and features-> Turn Windows features on or off-> uncheck IE10.
Reboot.
Now let's try installing another browser you haven't use so far. Maybe Opera browser | Faster & safer internet | Free download or Safari Download Safari 5.1.7 - FileHippo.com
Obviously you'll need another computer (like the one you are currently using) and place the download on a thumb drive or burn it to a CD.
During the install, if you are asked to import any settings from another browser, choose no and finish the installation. Also you may want to use advanced setup options if available to avoid any bloatware that may accompany the download.

alright scan said everything was fine. uninstalled the browsers and i'm going to install opera here now.

Installed opera, did as you said, no change. same as before.

Hold the WinKey and strike the R key and type
msinfo32
hit enter
Click File->Save
Give it a name "Whatever.nfo" save it to your desktop.
Zip it up and attach it and we'll have a look and see if we can see any glaring issues.

OK, I can accept when I'm beaten.
The only thing that I see that looks peculiar to me is something called NACAgentUI (nacagentui.exe) evidently a product of Cisco although I can't find much about it out there in the world. Do you know or have any idea why this module is being loaded? As Cisco is a pretty big networking company maybe something dealing with a VPN or something.
Other than that, I got nothing.
You may need to begin considering a PC Refresh in which case you'll keep your metro apps but need to reinstall all your desktop apps, or a PC Reset in which case you will need to reinstall all apps, or since often upgrades can produce problems that are difficult to resolve, a custom clean install after backing up your critical data files.
Apologies
Randy

the nac agent is something thats required for me to login to my schools internet. not sure why but to login on windows it forces you to install it. MY android devices connected with me just putting in the user name and password on the browser after i connected but on windows it forces the install.

I had that installed with windows 7 and didn't notice any issues though. i'll try to uninstall it.

To be honest, if i have to do a new install it doesn't bother me that much. i really hadn't done much of anything on this machine yet was just hoping there was someway against that.

thank you for all your help and i'll look into the refresh and reset.

Any thing new with this issue? I read the entire thread, kudos to Randy for trying! That is the good example of what these forums are for!
As far as the issue is concerned, Randy is correct, that is a really "weird" problem, and I agree with his statement: Something seems to be interfering with HTTP and or TCP/IP, perhaps at low level, for example an anti-virus left over filter. Many anti-virus in their efforts to protect themselves against tampering / hacking, hide call redirection (dlls that redirect calls) I am not familiar with the one you mentioned here though , I agree with your last idea, it looks like your best bet at this point is reinstall, but it would be interesting to find out what the issue was!

Leowise

I also am vary curious how things are. this thread caught my attention since it started with the ASUS zenbook being the device you have trouble with...

I have exactly the same !! ( as in Asus Zenbook UX31A and ESET antivirus )could this help in getting to the root cause ??

Hans.

The problem is solved on my Laptop, after having had contact with MS support desk they adviced me to completely de-install the ESET security sweet. it indeed helped.!!

The problem is solved on my Laptop, after having had contact with MS support desk they adviced me to completely de-install the ESET security sweet. it indeed helped.!!

Thank you jamsch for the follow-up.
Your suggestion as to what apparently worked for you was suggested here in this thread http://windows8forums.com/windows-8...-unable-load-any-webpage-app-2.html#post18531 in item number 4 even going so far as to recommend that the OP use the vendor specific proprietary removal tool, to which the OP responded with a "no change".
I am certainly glad to hear that your issue was resolved using this technique but evidently it is not something that will work for everyone with identical issues.
Regards
Randy

honestly i just gave up. pissed me off so much that i've just ignored it since i got the refresh/reset advice.

I've tried to uninstall ESET another 4 times with no change at all.

Just today decided to finally try a refresh/reset but both tell me that windows can't find the required files and insert the disk.so damn helpful since i upgraded over the internet and HAVE NO DISK. and it's an ultrabook that has no CD drive. This is the #1 reason why i refused to get an ultrabook/netbook and now it's coming to bite me in the ass.

found one guy who says how to do it without the DVD but of course i actually need the DVD first to get the files. So guess i have to go "acquire" one since my digital instal came with nothing.

*edit* oh and my trackpad randomly stopped working as well.

I'd like to reopen this issue. I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 2330 and it came with Windows 8 loaded. I have the exact same issue as the person who started this thread- exactly same symptoms. However, if I plug my pc directly into my router with ethernet cable I can browse the web just fine. If I switch to using the wireless adapter it shows connected and "internet access" but I cannot not browse the web. I can connect to other pcs via UNC and can connect to problem pc via unc and access the printer shared on it. I can ping websites by name and ip address while using using the wireless. Does this added info spark any ideas what the cause could be? Router is a Netgear WNR1000v2.

Yes I seem to be having a very similar problem as well, I have a new Dell inspiron 15r SE that came with Windows 8. The issue I am having seems to be identical to the one above:
I can ping other websites so it doesn't seem to be a DNS issue.
If I restart the computer I can usually connect to the internet through a browser for about 10 mins before it locks up.
The internet browsers just seem to be waiting to load the web page but it never loads.
The internet works fine on all other devices in the house.
The issue occurs with Chrome, IE and Firefox.
The issue occurs on every WIFi that I connect to so it is not an issue with my router.

I suspect that there is some issue with a program affecting the TCP port 80 on my computer.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Sounds like you may possibly have a DNS issue perhaps.
Trying opening your browser and type this
into the URL address bar (not the search bar) and hit enter.
Let us know if Google loads as a result or not.

I am having a similar issue as the op... my dns service is definitely running. Desktop internet connections appear to work, but all metro apps do not. If I go to google.com, nothing, but if I input 74.125.225.179, it works. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi all, I read this thread thoroughly since I've been coping with the exact same problem since I recoverd my Windows 8 (long story). In the end the solution was really simple:

Before the pc troubles I had Comodo installed (firewall). After the recovery of Windows 8 I was connected to the internet but I had no access to the webpages. Somehow my PC still found bits of Comodo and used it in the progress.

1. Go to your network and sharing center (top window)
2. Click on your connection and click on properties (bottom left window)
3. In the list 'This connection needs the following components' I had to uncheck 'COMODO Internet Security Driver' (bottom right window)

ConnectedNoWebpages.png

This happened after I moved the installs of the backup folder (C:/Windows.old) to the 'repaired' folder (Program files (x86) etc.), which was created in the Windows 8 recovery (stupid me).

This worked for me now, so I'll try to reinstall my COMODO drivers and I suppose it should work properly then. My guess is the same might have happened in the Eset Smart Security case.

Just my two cents, I hope this will help others in the future.

*the translation I gave from my screenshot may differ from your machine, my apologies*

Hello Yve and welcome to the forum.
Excellent post, thanks so much for sharing.
Like you I have seen remnants of third party software suites cause similar issue. Just recently with some lasting remnant of McAfee firewall component left over from their 2013 Internet Security Product and like you unchecking it within the properties of the Network Interface Card resolved the issues. Device manager was a dead give away for me as there I found multiple instances of both physical and virtual network adapters with the McAfee Firewall component associated with them.
Thanks again for bringing this to everyone's attention.
Regards
Randy

Back