Windows 10 Windows 10 build 9879 is here

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
New build 9879 is released today. This is also going to be released in iso form although the actual date of release is as of yet unknown. More info on the iso can be found in the last post in this thread:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-10-tech-preview.197543/

This build contains quite a few changes including the option to hide the new Taskbar Icons Search and Task View.

You can get this update via the same route as the last build: PC settings, Update and Recovery and finally 'New Builds' although make sure your settings are set to 'Fast' where it say's 'choose how fast you'd like to get new preview builds':

Personally, I'll probably wait until the iso is released.
Microsoft has officially begun pushing out a new preview build for Windows Insiders running the Windows Technical Preview. The new build, being build 9879 includes yet even more fixes and changes to the operating system over the last publicly available build, which was 9860. Microsoft has listed a few of the important updates, so let's get started.

There are a whole heap of new changes in this build. The basic ones being options to remove the Task View and Search buttons from the taskbar, and the charms 'button' in Modern UI windowed apps has changed from three dots to the hamburger menu.

windowed-dialog.jpg

More changes include Modern UI popups being in a window too now, which is awesome for desktop users. Improvements to the home tab within File Explorer are also apparent, and OneDrive gets a tonne of new options too. You can now turn off OneDrive on Startup, plus a number of other options for the service.

There's a few new icons and a whole number of other changes and features which you'll have to find yourself. Make sure you check out the source link for the complete change log from Microsoft.

The build is being pushed out right now, so get downloading! To do so, open the PC settings app, navigate to Update and recovery > Preview builds > check for updates. Make sure you're in the fast ring to get the update.
Ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...-improvements-animations-new-options-and-more

I have updated to build 9879 and one of the major changes is that the Metro or Modern apps now work on my netbook. That is a big step up as in Windows previous builds. you couldn't tun Metro apps on a netbook, the same as you couldn't on Windows 8 but you can on Windows 10. I don't use Metro apps myself but this is good new for people who have netbooks who do want to use them.

I had an urge to express my observations, so far, on the latest OS from Microsoft. This is strictly my own opinion. Other users are free to disagree or pass comment.
After a lot of trial and error, and investigation, I am drawn back to my initial comment of some time ago, that this is, truthfully, the suddenly cancelled Windows 8, upgrade 2, or services pack 1 - what's in a name.
Many entries in the registry and the GPs, point, even now, to 8.1 or windows 8. System files in the Windows folder, in many cases, have the same size as in the previous OS. This appears to back my suspicion.
That out of the way, all I see in Windows so-called 10, are some add-ons, which could easily, possibly without my non programming knowledge, have been added to Windows 8.1.
I would like to see more posts on performance comparison, in all its aspects. I am not an intensive and demanding game player, but I have read opposing reports that this is much better, about the same, ore even a little inferior. From my own point of view, I am mainly what could be described as an Office user. I am afraid, in this case, I cannot really see any performance improvements which could lead me to recommend the cost of upgrading. Frankly, I do not see a future in attempts to improve the speed of software packages. That future will only lie with hardware improvement - not Microsoft's path.
The posts today seem to be mainly composed of 1. Navigational issues, many of which have existed since Windows 8, or 2. Discussion on the very few extras, or, 3, A little mention of an improved start up speed. This last point is one which, since Windows 7, many agree is not really such a bug issue, as it is not a function which is in constant daily use.
The overwhelming posts are, of course, focussed wrongly on the inclusion of a start menu and the change in access to the "Metro" start. By the time the Windows 10 tech release was available, most users had found ways to deal with these two items, and are now reasonably happy with their adaptions.
Having got that out of the way, I must say that this is not an uncommon phenomena with Windows OS updates.
Vista, rightly or wrongly, was condemned outright. It was, for many, to big a leap into the unknown, with new navigational and usage options. Again, by the time Windows 7 was sent out for testing, the average users were beginning to be familiar with the new approach to the OS. Windows 7 dealt with many of the objections to Vista, and, as a result, Windows 7 was received favourably by the public.
Then came Windows 8! Another leap into the dark with the introduction of the ";Metro screen and , strangely called, "Charms" bar. Microsoft, to their loss, made little mention of how easily the OS could be quickly customised to make it look and operate , in an identical manner, to Windows 7.
So, here we are again, with another relatively minor update, planted as a new OS.
Whenever I express the views stated above, on forums, the common response is that this is still in Beta stage, and it is too early to judge. Fair comment. But I do not see any area for progress from what is already on the table.

I think this time though David it's more of a case of unifying the product so it will work on all devices. One os for all as it were.

Maybe, Ross. I guess, since it became patently obvious, with the cancellation of update 2, that MS had decided to abandon any more thoughts on making the public aware of an improving Windows 8, I have been quite a bit p****ed off with them. Even had a few discussions with my MVP rep, which probably wont get me far!
I spent many, many hours working with help and feedback on Windows 8, which I thought was a great program - just disappointed at the outcome.

P.S. Later.
Just ti say. I will, in the normal procedure.move on with the final release. Just a matter of conforming.

Last edited:
Just going back to my earlier post about Microsoft wanting to unify it's platforms with one os. I think this idea was around well before the inception of Windows 10 but the trouble is/was Windows 7 era wasn't technically capable at the time of release to realise this idea. Windows 8, especially later versions like 8.1 could have been used to unify the platforms but the trouble was Windows 8 had already got an undesirable image and much like the proverbial turd this can be hard to shake off. I guess the thought was 'Let's start afresh' not with Windows 9 let's make it big or even bigger by calling it Windows 10.

Right on. Anyway, whatever, I will move on to Windows 10, even if it is so similar to 8 - gotta keep up - lol

That is a big step up as in Windows previous builds. you couldn't tun Metro apps on a netbook, the same as you couldn't on Windows 8

That's a Yes and No....partly false and true. This only effected those netbooks with a resolution of 1024x600 or less. There are netbooks with higher resolutions. There is a work around that works...I've used it.

Enabling Metro apps:

1. Press Win+R, type in regedit and hit Enter. Registry Editor will open up.
  2. Now press Ctrl+F, and the Find dialog box will appear.
  3. Type in Display1_DownScalingSupported in the "Find what" box and click Find Next.
  4. Once the key is found, change its value from 0 to 1.
  5. Press F3, and if it finds any more keys called Display1_DownScalingSupported, change all 0 values to 1 as well.
  6. Reboot your device.
  7. After a successful reboot, change the screen resolution to 1024×768 and apply changes.

That fact that it works now on windows 10 TP is pretty cool....I'll have to check that out on my netbook.

I have Windows 10 running on an HP Mini 201 Netbook. As you can see from my images it is running Metro Apps even though my screen resolution is only 1024X600.This is the first build to enable this on Netbooks. In Previous builds and Windows 8.1 this was not possible, so Microsoft have obviously updated Windows 10. So now even if you only have a netbook the Modern Apps can run.

Win10 Apps. (640x375).jpg
Metro Apps1 (640x375).jpg
Metro App. (640x375).jpg

Last edited:
It seems I have to swallow my words, regarding my earlier post (#3).

After working in the hub, I have learned that this was, indeed, a fact. Windows 10, so far, has been piggy backing Windows 8.1. With the next build, as has already been posted, we will see a big jump in kernel and system files and, finally, Windows 10. It is going to be an interesting new Year!!

This big kernel jump from 6.4 to 10.0 will surely see the biggest test for compatibility we've seen for some years..

But what about the big change that we can now run Metro apps on a netbook? As you can see on my netbook this is the first time I have ever been able to do this. You couldn't in Windows 8 and previous versions of Windows 10.

Also it has a full start menu very much like Windows 7 so you don't need to install Classic Shell. You can use the start menu on it's own.

Back