Windows 10 Windows 10 installed with dual boot manjaro linux

hockey97

Hi, I have a windows 10 machine installed with a dual boot of manjaro linux. I have grub installed as the boot loader.

Now, the issue is that my windows 10 updates doesn't complete. I wanted to try and start up in safe mode but there's no options at all.
Windows 10 boots normally and fine but the issue I have is that there's no advance options at all and when I do cmd msconfig.exe
and load that program up. In the boot tab it shows that it's empty. I talked to a few people online and they told me that
I need to rebuild the BCD and found online commands to use but they instructed me to fix mbr and fix boot and then do bcdboot rebuild bcd.
I did that and then the system couldn't boot anything. I had to re-install grub and then everything worked.

I assume I just have to boot up with the installation cd and then go and used the command line which is what I did before but this time just use the bcdboot rebuild bcd command. Would this fix the issue?

I know in msconfig I need to have the boot tab to show something in order for me to set or select to reboot in safemode. I know I need to get into safe mode.
Any ideas? Would this be safe for my computer? I would like to know this.

Grub in regards to Windows only replaces the first stage boot loader on your system. Safe mode should still function normally; however, systems with fast boot may boot too fast to trigger safe mode with F8. There are about 6 ways to trigger safe boot. That easiest, if the system loads is go into msconfig > boot tab and check 'safe boot'. Apply and reboot

If you can not get into Windows you can just improperly shut the system down 3 times while in part of the Windows boot process and that should also trigger recovery

Grub in regards to Windows only replaces the first stage boot loader on your system. Safe mode should still function normally; however, systems with fast boot may boot too fast to trigger safe mode with F8. There are about 6 ways to trigger safe boot. That easiest, if the system loads is go into msconfig > boot tab and check 'safe boot'. Apply and reboot

If you can not get into Windows you can just improperly shut the system down 3 times while in part of the Windows boot process and that should also trigger recovery
Yes, that's the problem I tried msconfig and in the boot tab it's empty you cannot select safe mode or any thing. It's not an option and in the boot tab it shows nothing. In my other computer that I fixed it shows it. That computer had a similar issue but don't know what I did to fix it.. that computer can boot in safe mode you can do it via msconfig, or shift plus restart etc. The ones I am working on doesn't have it and I forgot how I did it on my other machine. I assume it's the bcdboot rebuild bcd command using windows 10 installation disk. However, I am not sure and trying to figure this out. The computer has important documentations on it. I might have to back them up before playing around. I was even thinking to do a backup of the system image. So, I could easily recover if needed. I cannot do stuff now cuz got an exam coming up. I need to clear that first then will have time to tinker with this. I am just asking if anyone knows if this is what needs to be done to rebuild the BCD?

and like I said windows 10 boots fine but it just doesn't have advance options available like safe mode.

would it be ok if I ran the windows 10 installation cd and click repair to get to advance options to then use command line.
Then run the command bcd boot /bcdrebuild ?

Back
Top Bottom