Windows 10 Windows 10 TP 10049 long install?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I just finished installing 10049 and it took 4.5 hours from the point when it rebooted and started to install.

I read that some people were having problems with it taking a while, but most of the information seemed to indicate that it was caused by not having enough free disk space.

I made sure that I had 42% of the drive free before I started and everything was cleaned and defragmented but it still took this long

None of the previous installs took more then a hour.

Anyway it's working, now I have to back grade my video and sound drivers again.
Video drivers first because they actually crash the computer.

Mike

Last edited:
HI Trouble.

That's it, that explains why I had folders on my desktop when it booted up that were in Korean.

I thought it was some kind of malware.

I also had over 30 Gigabytes of stuff to remove via CCleaner when I got done, this was more then on previous builds.

My hard drive was almost full, now I'm back to 40% free space again.

It took a couple of hours but I have my video fixed (the default drives crash Windows when I switch to 3D Vision).
And I have gotten my sound working once more after reinstalling the sound card about 7 times.

I don't know why it doesn't work the first time I do it, but I've learned that if I keep installing the old drivers over and over, eventually it gives up and uses them.

I was about to try switching over to my on-board sound.

I have a question.

I've never had to do this, but if I need to, do I have to do anything other then plug my speakers into my sound outputs on my mother board and select Realtek Digital Output for playback in sound in the sound control panel?

I may do that if it will avoid all the messing around trying to get my sound card to work next time, if it's that simple.

I also notice that it will not play my custom .wave files for Windows sounds now.
They play fine in the folder but when I try and make them the default sounds the icon for the sound turns "Yellow" and the sounds will not play.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm still trying to get the 10049 ISO; just about finished building a somewhat stable 10041 on my new Kingston SSD drive. I'll let you know if I run into an extended install time. Mine should go even faster than yours if you are using a mechanical HDD which I recall you were from your specs. I posted my 10041 bug report on Saltgrass's comment about getting the 10049 on this sub-forum which you might be interested in. I'm still having no AUDIO or VIDEO driver issues as on your machine, but, certainly a lithargy of other weird issues.

Weird about it installing all the language packs however...:confused::confused:

Where did you get your 10049 from I'm wondering? Did you get it through Fast Ring update, Slow Ring, or via download of ISO file? There's a guy on TenForums who figured out a way to download the Win10 TP 10049 ESD file and then CONVERT it to an ISO file. I'm not too sure if I want to go to all that trouble to get a new update, when we should get it through Insider Updates in a week or so.

Marc

Hi Marc

I got the update through the fast ring update.
My only problem with video is related to stereo 3D, if I wasn't running stuff in stereo I wouldn't know that there was a problem.
I seem to have it fixed now.

The sound issues I've had since Windows 8.1, the drivers just don't work with my Sound Blaster card.
If it would stop updating them and let me run the drivers that came with the card I wouldn't have any problem.

I'd like to know it Cortana is speaking to you.

Since the update she is working but I don't get and audible voice.
She follows commands and runs searches, and plays my music files but never says anything.

If I ask her to tell me a joke, she just types it out.
Not to great for stand up. LOL

I have 2 internal 1 TB hard drives, but I'm thinking of getting a 250 Gig SSD when I install Windows 10 for real, it would be my first SSD.

Mike

I'd like to know it Cortana is speaking to you.

She talks to me now... sort of. I asked her about the weather and she happly informed me it was a sunny day... in fact it was pissing down at the time but she insists I live in Sydney and apparently assumes I'm fibbing when I try to tell her other wise?

Yeah, I'll let you know on the 10049 Cortana as soon as I get it updated. I posted an updated on Saltgrass's thread. I'm trying the Update via Fast Ring first, and I managed to get a hold of a 10049 ISO I downloaded for a Clean install to follow. Thanks for posting back which method you successfully used; that's very helpful. =D

On my Bug Report on 10041, I mentioned that my Cortana hangs and freezes and mostly doesn't work. She hasn't talked to me yet, I have better luck with my Google Search on my Samsung Android w/JellyBean smartphone. That actually works, if it's a simple question, like where's a restaurant, or how old is Captain Kirk... Certainly, if Cortana speaks to me in 10049, I'll have to attempt to tell it a knock-knock joke and see what I get!!

Cheers! <<<BBJ>>>

Hi Mike,
Just finished the 10049 download/install..success! On another thread here I mentioned that both SPARTAN and CORTANA now work. However, Cortana didn't speak to me, and I do have sound working on the machine with small usb external speakers. Typed responses and nothing. I'm wondering if you need to have a Mic plugged in to talk to Cortana--unless you're on a laptop with built-in Mic (which neither of us has). I'll plug in my Mic in a bit and try it out and let you know.

Marc

Hi

I use my Webcam Microphone, same as for Skype, and it works fine.
She can hear me, but I don't get any voice response from her, only text.

My sound is working normally my other computer sounds work fine.
Except it won't let me assign custom sounds to the a theme.

When I try and use a custom .wav file the icon in the sounds panel turns yellow and it won't play.
I can play the sounds from the selection panel OK.

As for Spartan it isn't working for me, I can open it to the Microsoft home page, and maybe get though clicking on a link or two, but then the screen blinks a few times and goes blank or parts of it start to dissapear.

It doesn't follow an exact pattern, every time it seems to fail differently.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Good to know. Too bad about Cortana not talking.:waah: I spent a good part of yesterday trying that out; I thought it would be a useful part of my Win10 live demo presentation. Alas, I could not get her to Speak to me; even though it appeared she was listening. I used my desktop Mic and was able to ask her to tell me a joke; she did. Asked her how old Captain Kirk was, and she answered me by opening up a Bing window with search listings including wikipedia; also worked. *he's 83*.

I checked my audio driver settings and they appeared to work normally, but there was a thing in the driver detail tab that I'll have to dig up that mentioned wasn't installed correctly with some Hex code. This PC (Dell Dimension E520) does not have a discrete audio card I think I had said; rather it has an embedded Intel HD Audio Chip. On my setup, I can play Default sounds via the "TEST" button on the Windows Default theme. I didn't yet try assigning Custom .wav files. I also haven't tried Skype, as I'd have to move my Desktop webcam over from my main machine, and I have to pull apart my cable nest to do all that; but I may try later in this week, since I don't have any new Customers and let you know. I can Skype over to my laptop to test, as it has Win7 on it, and I can let you know. I suspect CORTANA still has a bug or two with their audio end as you said.

Nevertheless, that's really good information to know, and I can mention that in my presentation. I'm pretty sure they will get that figured out by the time RTM is ready. Also, while researching yesterday on the web, I read a number of Tech reviews which state that both 10049 and 10051 CORTANA does speak to people via audio channel on a number of Android Smartphones and some tablets. It's curious alright. I believe one of the reviewers said CORTANA spoke to him on one of these test builds on a Windows Phone, but I can't remember the manufacturer of the phone.

Sorry to hear SPARTAN isn't working on your Build either. That's odd. I recall your specs, and you have more RAM on that system than I do on mine (4GB), and it's a very much newer Motherboard (mine just turned 8 years old, Vista class Mobo, but the Intel CPU is Core2 Duo). The only other major disimilarity between your setup and mine, is that mine is on my KINGSTON 120GB SSD drive, and yours in on a Mechanical HDD. My build 9926 is on an old HDD. I'm considering wiping it out to try a restore of my 10049 image via Acronis. If I do this, I will let you know if it works. I'm betting SPARTAN will continue to work even on the old mechanical HDD. 60/40 chance I think.

Talk to you soon!
Marc :brew:

Hi

Cortana worked i.e. spoke in the builds leading up to this one, so I hope they'll sort that out.
I use Cortana every day to play my music files, and occasionally search for something.

As for Spartan I have no idea why that's not working.

I sorted out the crashing problem with Windows Explorer by finding a program that allows you to edit your right click drop down menu.

I disabled all the non Microsoft links and Explorer stopped crashing.
I'll turn them back on one at a time until I figure out what's causing the problem.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thought I'd let you know I switched over to my mechanical HDD with the 9926 build on it, and it came up as 10041. Must've picked up the Slow Ring setting I had on that one. I wanted to let you know that when I fired up CORTANA, she Started talking to me!! I asked her what the temp was her in my town, and SHE ANSWERED ME! :eek: My wife overheard this while she was in the Kitchen, and says: "who exactly is talking to you on that Computer??!!!"---I hastily explained it was CORTANA, and asked her to tell me a joke, and she read the joke which came through my speakers, and my wife settled down a bit...LOL.

No SPARTAN in 10041 on that hdd either. fyi.

Marc

Hi Marc.

Spartan only started in version 40049 as far as I know.
I'm not the only one having issues, I've seen a lot of posts from people who are having problems.

I do like using Cortana, I've been into computer generated voices for a while.
My computer sounds are all computer generated voice files that I've created.

When I empty the desktop waste basket my computer says, "Enough of this trash!" etc.

Unfortunately my custom files don't work in version 10049.
They worked fine up to this point.

Here's a sample of my computer's voice that I did when Windows 8 came along.

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/nohjekim/media/Lucy Shorts/LucyWndows8Tan.mp4.html?sort=2&o=0

Mike

Hi Mike,

Well, I completed my Win10 presentation at my Computer Club, and it went pretty well.:D I was having problems with a failed Range Extender on the Wifi at the Senior Center where we meet. I replaced it temporarily with my Netgear from home, and things worked great for the most part. I got several people who came up to me after the meeting to tell me how much they liked my presentation and all the great stuff coming down the pike in Win10.

Interesting about Cortana. I agree that it's not ready for Prime Time. She only spoke to me that one time, and since then, she sometimes listens and throws up the correct information on a window; but mostly not.:( Many reboots ensue to wake her up!
Also, it's funny how Cortana & Spartan rarely work together at the same time. When Cortana works, Spartan does not, and vice-versa. M$ is definitely got to get that fixed. She totally bailed on me during my Presentation, but, at least I was able to demo the Spartan. Funny too, I had 3 hard drives in my PC with builds 9926, 10041, and of course the 10049. When I switched yesterday morning to the 10041 build hdd; it crashed!! Pretty sure it's not the drive, rather 10041 just randomly died! Went to Black & White screen with a BCD error; not a Blue Screen. Good thing my 10049 build/drive didn't crash.

I liked your Custom voice files; I've never had much luck with that going all the way back to the early 80s when I did a research paper while getting my Engineering degree on voice recognition in commercial applications. The technology has improved, but we've still got a ways to go IMO. I would like to see Microsoft devote some more resources to this problem. I do hope they get it working by August and RTM. If not, guess we'll have to wait until Windows11 (er, I mean, Windows12?!!).

Best,
Marc :)
I

Back