Windows 7 Windows 7, 32Bit - BLACK??

ThatTallGuYX

I have 2 Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX grphics cards, Everytime windows loads up, Right before the login screen but after the windows logo my screen goes black and says no signal. I have to turn my monitor off then back on to see the login screen.

After I log in my background is black and my task bar is black not showing anything but the windows icon. Also when I scroll over where things should be the thumbnail preview shows up.

Also my screen resolution is at 1024 x 768 when it should be at 1680 x 1250....

If anyone else has this problem and can fix it please help me out its very irritating and ive been working on it for hours.

- I re-installed windows 7 32 bit 2 times, problem still occured
- I Used windows update for the video drivers
- I went to nvidia and maunaly instaled the vista 32 bit drivers
- I installed drivers in device manager
- I rearagned my graphic cards
- I rolled back my drivers, restarted numorus times, re-installed the drivers. NOTHING WORKED

If anyone can give me anymore ideas it would be appriciated

Here are some screen shots.

BLACK Windows 7
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=windowsblack01ly3.png

Screen Res and Driver Proof
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=windowsblack02ux7.png

Last edited:
There have been quite a few Nvidia driver problems with Win 7 it seems.. Have you tried using the most recent Windows Vista driver instead of the Windows 7 driver? Some people have found that solves the problem.. I'd suggest trying that.. ;)

Hello.

Did the driver rollback work for you? Have you tried the driver directly from Nvidia.com instead of the Windows Update one? Like Radenight says, a safe alternative is to load up the Vista drivers for this.

If you are getting any difficulty removing the faulty driver just go to safemode and force install the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter so you can see things again.

Also, do you have anything in between your monitor and the video card such as a switchbox or anything like a weird cable? sometimes devices as such can block the video card from detecting what resolutions the monitor can do (EDID) and Windows7 will just give it a "safe" maximum to set it at. In your case it seems 1024x768

I have seen this before.

This is a somewhat common problem with the Windows installed drivers.

When you uninstall your current driver use a driver cleaner like the ones they have at Guru 3D. Then install the 181.20 Nvidia driver.

THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM IF YOU JUST LISTEN AND DO WHAT I TELL YOU :mad:

Hello.

Did the driver rollback work for you? Have you tried the driver directly from Nvidia.com instead of the Windows Update one? Like Radenight says, a safe alternative is to load up the Vista drivers for this.

If you are getting any difficulty removing the faulty driver just go to safemode and force install the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter so you can see things again.

Also, do you have anything in between your monitor and the video card such as a switchbox or anything like a weird cable? sometimes devices as such can block the video card from detecting what resolutions the monitor can do (EDID) and Windows7 will just give it a "safe" maximum to set it at. In your case it seems 1024x768

No, the roll back did not work. Also, I have a single cable going to my monitor to my graphics card, nothing in between. The settings are also on single graphics card mode not SLI.

Back