Windows 7 Windows 7 freezes on Startup on the Desktop

Barry McAuley

Hi, I hope somone out there can help. I've been looking through the forums for a while and I haven't found a solution to my problem.

First of all I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on an i5 system.

I powered on my PC and it gave me a warning about the machine not being shut down properly. I started windows normally and once I reached the desktop Windows freezes, I can still move the cursor but I can't click on anything. Pressing Ctrl alt Del only causes a black screen to appear and I am forced to reset the machine.

Unfortunately I haven't set up any system restore points. I tried running a memory diagnostic with the Windows 7 CD but to no avail. Serching for problems using the Windows 7 disk turns up nothing aswell. I started windows in safe mode and disabled all programs at startup. After rebooting in normal mode the same thing happened, it freezes just as before.

I installed Windows 7 on a different hard drive partition and it works fine so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to troubleshoot this problem? How do I go about testing which program may be causing the problem? Is there anyway I can try and repair windows files?

I would be really grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I did some digging, and found a thread that had been talking about this that might help, go to Link Removed - Invalid URL - , Best, John C. - Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

To try to repair Windows files, you can open an administrative Command prompt and type "SFC /scannow" without the quotes. This should check the files and tell you if you have a problem.

If the shutdown was bad, perhaps checking your hard drive would help find an answer.

MSConfig.exe has some options that might help, open the boot tab and try things like Base Video or Boot log. The Safe boot might also be beneficial. I am assuming you went to the Startup tab and clicked the Disable all button.

Hi,

Due to the conflicting software or application you might experience hanging of Windows 7 at the time of system startup. You can easily solve this issue by logging into the system in a safe mode and making some changes in the built-in panel provided in the Control panel of Windows 7. You may edit startup configurations. Manual editing helps the users to choose which programs to run and which not to. The entire interface of this tool provided in Windows 7 is easy to understand and helps to choose the options selectively. get more help...... Windows 7 Boot Hangs at "Starting Windows"

Back