Windows 7 Windows 7 with XP network problems - 7 cannot see xp until pinging

djdj

Hi, I'm having problems getting windows7 and xp to network.
I've searched and tried most solutions that have worked for others but still having problems.
I have 2 xp (32bit) laptops, wireless connection.
1 Win7 (64bit) Desktop direct connect to wireless router (WGT624v3 firmware V2.0.26_1.0.1NA)

Problem: Win7 doesn't list xp machines in network. Network map will not show others until they are pinged or use \\ip in search. This will open the shared xp folders. Then can map but not access from map. They do then show up in network but can't access (error code 0x80070035). Can still use search \\Ip to open.
Xp machines can see and share between each other and win7.

Current configuration:
IPv4 only for all machines
Homegroup turned off for win7
Workgroup same for all
File and print share on
Folders set to share for all
LLTD on XP
Enable Netbios over TCP/IP all
Firewalls Off
No Static Ip's
AV off on all
Router has been restarted multiple times.

One strange thing, when first setup the xp names were First letter cap and rest small. Win7 could sometimes see but not connect (same error as above 0x8007...) Noticed that drive map was xp name all caps. Changed xp name to all caps and can now access by using ip.

Will appreciate any ideas to correct this.

djdj

Last edited:
djdj:
Hello and welcome to the forums. Your problem is almost certainly related to third party firewalls and or third party internet security suites that include some type of firewall applet. Simply disabling and or turning them off, is seldom if ever going to work, you need to uninstall them and for testing purposes just disable the local windows firewall will be sufficient. You can always reinstall these programs later, but please for any diagnostic steps to work we need to completely remove these types of programs from the equation before we can proceed.

Had Ashampoo on 1 xp machine and Kerio on the other. Both were uninstalled.
Windows firewalls are off on all.
Will verify and restart all.
Thanks..

Ok, restarted. No change.
Could not see either xp from win7.
Mapping shows win7 and both xp.
Network only win7.
Searched \\ip for 1 of the xp.
Opened xp shared folder list.
Network now lists both xp's but cannot access, same error 0x80070035.
Can still open both xp by \\ip.

Also the xp machines are sp3
and from other thread,
"Make sure the following services are running and set to automatic on all machines.
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Workstation
Look for Bonjour service and temporarily set it to manual or disable and stop, same with mdnsresponder. Also check services near the top for a peculiar string containing numbers and or special characters, disable and stop
Make sure Network Discovery is turned on, on the Win 7 machines
Under the network and sharing center, change “Advanced Sharing Settings” intelligently to suit your needs. Turn on network discovery, turn on file and printer sharing, turn on pulic folder sharing, turn off password protected sharing, and at the bottom Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended).
Make sure NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled in the properties of IPv4 on each of your network adapters.
Make sure file and printer sharing is enable on both and that local firewalls are supporting it. Temporarily uninstall any third party firewalls or Internet Security Suites that may include some type of Firewall applet. (This is very important)"

Theses have been done and checked.

Last edited:
OK, just so I don't get confused. Flush the netbios cache from all machines nbtstat -R from an elevated command prompt. Then on all machines one to the other ping each by ipaddress then by netbios name if pinging by netbios name fails on any please let us know. Finally examine the netbios cache on each machine and make sure that all machines are listed properly by name and their respective IP address. As far as actually accessing shares on each computer, we can address that later after we get the netbios information resolved, but I can tell you up front that a common username and password (identical in every respect) will go a long way towards resolving this kinda automagically.
EDIT: Sorry I should have mentioned, to inspect the netbios name cache on each machine type nbtstat -c at the command prompt.

Last edited:
Did the nbtstat -r for all. Can ping all by ip address. Cannot ping by name.
Did the nbstat -c for all. 1 Xp shows "No Names in Cache", 1 XP shows only the Win7 name and ip, Win7 shows "No Names in Cache"

Now get "access denied" from 1 xp to other xp. Going from the other xp to the first, no problems.
Win 7 can see and access the xp machine that the other xp gets "access denied". Win 7 can access the other xp by \\ip.

Symptoms change after restarts of computers so it's getting confusing.
Symptoms that have changed:
at one point was able to see xp to xp with no problems
was able to ping from win 7 by name to both xp
was able to see and access both XP's from network in Win 7. This was after ping ip then ping -a ip from win7 for each.

Should IPv6 be uninstalled from all computers, now it is just disabled(no check in the box) on the win7 and 1 xp, it was uninstalled on the other xp.

Last edited:
No, just unchecked is fine. Something is blocking netbios, are you sure netbios over tcp/ip is enabled in IPv4 under the wins tab on all machines and TCP/IP netbios helper service is turned on.

"netbios over tcp/ip is enabled in IPv4"
Checked and enabled on all computers.

"TCP/IP netbios helper service is turned on"
Checked and on for all computers

Restarted all, now xp to xp works and nbtstat -c shows other computers in both.
After 30 mins, 1 xp shows only the win7. The other xp shows "No names in cache"

Note: from Win7 ping -a with ip will show xp name. This works for both xp's.
From either xp can ping win7 name and works.
From either xp, ping -a with ip will not show name for any of the other computers.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
You are of course welcome but I'm not sure that I've been any help at all to this point.
There doesn't seem to be any persistent problem with the Win 7 machine and its' netbios information regarding the two XP machines, Is that correct?
Two things I might suggest to stablize the netbios information for the time being, since I'm not sure what is providing DHCP information on your network to your apparently 3 (three) computers, try manually assigning static ip information to all three for the time being, just pick something outside the scope of the current DHCP server. Also let's for the time being concentrate on just the Windows 7 machine and 1 (one) XP machine which we'll refer to as XP_1 please turn off the other XP machine for trouble shooting. On both the Win7 machine and the XP_1 machine create a new folder in the root of C:\ and call it test, now right click it and choose properties, under the sharing tab choose the advanced sharing button, check the share this folder check box and click the permissions button, select the everyone group at the top (if it's not there add it) and choose full control under the allow column and click ok. Now under the security tab, select the everyone group (if it's not there click edit and then add to add it) and grant that group full control also. After you complete this action on both computer attempt to map a network drive to this folder on each computer to its' respective counter part. Let me know if this process is successful.

Back
Top Bottom