Windows 7 Windows cannot access \\computer name help me

aimandoul

Im having problem with my network LAN.I've managed to detect the computer in my LAN but cannnot access all of it.But they can easily access my computer.Please someone give me any useful idea how to solve this??

Im having problem with my network LAN.I've managed to detect the computer in my LAN but cannnot access all of it.But they can easily access my computer.Please someone give me any useful idea how to solve this??

Can you please tell us what computers we're talking about. I am going to assume that since this is a Win7 Forum, that at least one of them is Win7. So try this
Check and make sure these Services are Started on all Computers
Workstation
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Computer Browser
Make sure Network Discovery is turned on, on the Win 7 machines
Make sure file and printer sharing is enable on both and that local firewalls are supporting it. Temporarily uninstall any third party firewalls or Internet Security Suites that may include some type of Firewall applet.
Make sure NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled in the properties of IPv4 on you network.
Look for Bonjour service and temporarily set it to manual or disable and stop same with mdnsresponder. Also check services near the top for a peculiar string containing numbers and or special characters, disable and stop
Keep us posted

the computers is a mix of xp,vista n win7..but all of it i cant access..i have try what u have suggested but seems like i couldn't find any bonjour and mdnsresponder..i have install avg antivirus 8.5 which has its own firewall n network filter..should i uninstall it??i have disable all the settings but does not work also..

It is not for me to say what you should or should not uninstall; however it seems that often Internet security suites can have an impact on the issues you are experiencing and that attempts to disable them are unsuccessful in producing the desired results. You can always reinstall whatever, once you have your network issues overcome. You don't make mention of exactly what is happening when you try to "access" them or exactly how you are attempting to "access" them, are you being prompted for a username and password, or are you simply receiving an "access denied" type message.

I try to access them directly by clicking on their icon and then suddenly it shows message windows cannot access \\EJULL for example..This is annoying me since all of them can access my computer freely.

Which one is your computer? Let's say that it's the Win7 computer....try let's say on the XP machine adding the username and password that you use to log onto the Win 7 PC to the XP machine's local users....once you've done that, then double click on that user and under the "Member Of" tab add him to the local administrator's group...once that's done remove him from the "users" group. Let us know if that works

my computer is using windows 7 32-bit..and my problem i think that my network discovery is always reset into off eventhough i have change it to on and click save changes.Is this a problem related to the registry or something??

No, not really, it's usually the result of your network or perhaps a virtual network being detected or re-detected as public or unidentified. Are you running any type of VM software on the Windows 7 machine that could be throwing up a virtual network interface and causing this?

Last edited:
VM software means any type of Virtual Machine software, like VMware, or VirtualPC, or VirtualBox, etc.?
Besides in your original post
Windows cannot access \\computer name help me
"Im having problem with my network LAN.I've managed to detect the computer in my LAN but cannnot access all of it.But they can easily access my computer.Please someone give me any useful idea how to solve this?? "

Emphasis Added: It would seem that Network Discovery isn't actually your issue

Last edited:
i have only microsoft visual c++ installed.this is VM software right?the others that you mention is not installed in my computer.any possibility the software is causing the problem??

No, it's not, Visual C++ is programming software for writing C++ applications and is not Virtual Machine Software. You need to relax and stop going off on tangents. WE need to concentrate on your actual issue which I believe to paraphrase was something like they (meaning other machines on your network) can access me, but you are unable to access them. Do I understand correctly, is that your actual problem? If so, I need you to do a couple of things, first and post back the actual results, I need you to pick one of the machines (just one), determine that machines ip address and computer name. Then I need you to, on the Win 7 machine open a command prompt and type, ping ipaddressOfOtherMachine, I need to know the results from that ping, then I need you to type ping TheComputerNameOfTheOtherMachine, I need to know the results from that ping. Please see the attachment and snip and post just as I have, using of course your own IPs and HostNames

Back
Top Bottom