Windows 7 Windows desktop will connect to modem, but will not connect to any sites programs etc.

Arctiq

Just last night after I was finished playing Skyrim for the night, I saw on steam that I had no connection. So I looked towards the internet bars icon next to the clock and saw a yello triangle with a "!" in it. So I disconnected and reconnected but still the yellow "!". So I just decided I would try again tomorrow (today). When I woke up today it didn't have that error, so I decided to go to youtube on Chrome, but it had that "webpage not available" (wouldn't work for ie either). I figured it would soon fix itself like it always had, so I tried playing MW3 on my Xbox, but it wouldn't connect to Live either o_O and when my mom wanted to watch Netflix on the living room xbox, she couldn't connect either! Then I figured out it was definatly my modem that was refusing to connect to anything. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? The sad part is I have to use my iphone to write this :'(

The yellow triangle normally means not internet connect, or restricted in some way. Restarting the modem is usually a fix. If the modem has a battery backup, you may need to remove that in able to reboot the modem.

After that, you may want to reboot the other devices on your system. If it doesn't come back, you will probably need to call the ISP.

Just a note, but if you system has digital phone, you may want to disconnect the phone line for a while.

Hi

Do as Saltgrass said and reset the modem if that doesn't work you can try the following.

Something that often works for me is to got to the Network Sharing Center / Change Device Settings, and then disable the device.
Wait 30 seconds and then click on Enable Device.

It will go through the starting up procedure again.

I've found that will make it start working again a lot of the time.

Also run Malwarebytes just to be sure it isn't some sort of malware.
I've often seen Trojans etc. that will stop your browser from connecting even when it says you have a connection.

And as a last resort, go to Device Manager and uninstall your network adapter, the reboot and let Windows reinstall the whole thing.

Mike

Hi

Yes the one with the flashing lights is the Modem.

It is called Adapter Settings until you open it then it says disable this device or something like that.

First unplug the modem from the wall, or turn it off if it has a switch, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in.
It will reestablish the connection.

The fact that it has a lot of lights on is a good sign, generally when they aren't working the lights go out. LOL

Mike

Ok, so my dad rebooted both, he even reinstalled the router software but nothing works. My xbox can connect to my internet, so is my PC is the problem? It has its history of not wanting to connect to the internet sometimes :(

One thing you can try is to check and see if you have a program called Bonjour Services installed.
It is installed by iTunes and has caused a lot of problems with Windows 7.

If your xbox is connected through the same modem and it works then I'd have to say the problem is probably in your computer.

You shouldn't really have to install software for your router in Windows 7, one of the first things that Windows does when you install it is to connect to the internet.

It is connected before the first time it ever opens the start screen.

Did you try uninstalling the network adapter in Device Manager?
Before you uninstall it look and see if it has a yellow exclamation mark on anything related to networking.

Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Network Adapters / right click on the adapter (something like Realtek PCle Family Controller) select the Drivers Tab and select Uninstall.

Then reboot and Windows will reload the drivers and reinstall the device.
This may get it back to default settings and get it working again.

If none of this works then it's time to call your ISP.

My experience has been that they can test and restart the service and often fix it from their end.

Mike

One thing you can try is to check and see if you have a program called Bonjour Services installed.
It is installed by iTunes and has caused a lot of problems with Windows 7.

If your xbox is connected through the same modem and it works then I'd have to say the problem is probably in your computer.

You shouldn't really have to install software for your router in Windows 7, one of the first things that Windows does when you install it is to connect to the internet.

It is connected before the first time it ever opens the start screen.

Before you uninstall it look and see if it has a yellow exclamation mark on anything related to networking.

Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Network Adapters / right click on the adapter (something like Realtek PCle Family Controller) select the Drivers Tab and select Uninstall.

Then reboot and Windows will reload the drivers and reinstall the device.
This may get it back to default settings and get it working again.

If none of this works then it's time to call your ISP.

My experience has been that they can test and restart the service and often fix it from their end.

Mike

Ok I will try to uninstall the driver. And I did like 2 virus scans with MalwareBytes and it detected like 5 pieces of "malware" that were in some game folders. Games that would never have any viruses whatsoever. Is this program thinking those files are "suspicious?" Thanks so much for the help, appreciate it!

When I say software, I actually meant that my dad used a software disc to "reinstall" the router itself. I know that doesn't make sense.

And for the yellow triangle thing, there is a yellow triangle on the "Microsoft virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter". Should I uninstall that one?

Back