Windows 7 Windows Partition Umounted Itself, BSOD on Boot

Laraso

One night, I shut down my computer to install Windows Updates overnight. When I tried to start Windows the next morning, I got a BSOD when attempting to boot. As soon as the "Starting Windows" logo appears, I immediately get thrown into a BSOD, which hardly lists any information even for BSOD standards.

The ONLY thing it says is "If this your first time encountering this problem,... " and this STOP code:
0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034 0x000000000000000 0x000000000000000)

Thinking it might be a hardware issue, I ran a hardware diagnostics test. The test reported that my hard drive had failed, but I didn't believe it since at least a small portion of Windows was being loaded off of the HD. I then attempted to boot into safe mode (I probably should have done that before I tried the hardware test lol), but after the driver CLASSPNP.SYS gets loaded, it crashes and throws me the same BSOD as before.

Booting into Windows Recovery Mode "works", but when it asks me which operating system I wish to load, the box is completely empty. Windows 7 is not listed at all. I figured the recovery partition might have somehow become corrupted, so I tried booting into recovery mode via my installation CD, but just like before, no operating systems are listed and therefore everything in the recovery console is completely useless.

I then pulled out an old Ubuntu installation disc of mine, and booted into Ubuntu from the CD. Sure enough, the drive was working just fine and I can access ALL of the data on the hard drive through Ubuntu. I ordered a new HD of the same speed and capacity, which arrived just a few minutes ago, and I'm backing up all of the data I want to keep to an external drive, just incase the hard drive really DOES fail and/or I'm forced to reinstall Windows.

I really don't want to reinstall Windows if I don't have to. If I can, I want to repair my Windows installlation, so I can boot into Windows and create a system image to transfer my Windows installation to the new HD.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and is there any way to fix this without completely reinstalling windows? My PC is a Dell Studio XPS 9100, running a 64-bit installation of Windows.

If you expect to get immediate answers to problems, the only thing that is wrong is your attitude. Everyone here works on a voluntary basis, no pay, if you are reverent enough to get my meaning.

I do think that the fastest way to fix it would be to reinstall your Windows, via a complete delete of disk partitions > repartition > install. It may be a failure of the disk, but not necessarily, and since we have no possibility to check the disk physically, we can't really express an opinion about it.

To get to basics, can you get to safe mode? Sometimes Windows "rejects" disks even if they are proper, like it seems to be possible here, since you can access the disk through Ubuntu. It can be a temporary problem, like an issue with the battery. Demands of voltages may be different for one OS and another. Plugging on and off might help?

But since you didn't get an answer in another Forum, that I noticed, the question remains, do you want help, or just piss everyone off? I trust that was a fair one, even if it may have been unpleasant, and not something you expect from people who are supposed to give everything for nothing.

You see, we do have some pride in what we do, to help others.

Last edited:
And it is after all Sunday....... peace be with you.
So, sometime between now and before you nuke the thing, maybe give Bootrec.exe a try.
Read this, expand the + sign next to Bootrec.exe options and try a few of the suggestions.
Boot from you install media, repair, trouble shoot, advanced options, command prompt (or something like that)
try
bootrec /RebuildBcd
or /fixmbr
or /fixboot
or all three actually
See if that helps. It may.

If you expect to get immediate answers to problems, the only thing that is wrong is your attitude. Everyone here works on a voluntary basis, no pay, if you are reverent enough to get my meaning.

I do think that the fastest way to fix it would be to reinstall your Windows, via a complete delete of disk partitions > repartition > install. It may be a failure of the disk, but not necessarily, and since we have no possibility to check the disk physically, we can't really express an opinion about it.

To get to basics, can you get to safe mode? Sometimes Windows "rejects" disks even if they are proper, like it seems to be possible here, since you can access the disk through Ubuntu. It can be a temporary problem, like an issue with the battery. Demands of voltages may be different for one OS and another. Plugging on and off might help?

But since you didn't get an answer in another Forum, that I noticed, the question remains, do you want help, or just piss everyone off? I trust that was a fair one, even if it may have been unpleasant, and not something you expect from people who are supposed to give everything for nothing.

You see, we do have some pride in what we do, to help others.

Speed isn't the issue here, it was the first reply that I found unhelpful. It was a link to a program, and if they had read my post, they would have understood that I can't run the program so it is of no use to me.

I cannot get to safe mode, as I stated. This isn't a temporary issue, as it has persisted for a full week now, and yes I have tried unplugging the power.

When looking for help, I usually ask on a few separate but related forums, as the variety of responses is usually helpful.

And it is after all Sunday....... peace be with you.
So, sometime between now and before you nuke the thing, maybe give Bootrec.exe a try.
Read this, expand the + sign next to Bootrec.exe options and try a few of the suggestions.
Boot from you install media, repair, trouble shoot, advanced options, command prompt (or something like that)
try
bootrec /RebuildBcd
or /fixmbr
or /fixboot
or all three actually
See if that helps. It may.

I'll give Bootrec a try sometime later, and I'll get back with the results.

Well, I tried doing bootrec via the recovery mode console, however it said it did not detect any Windows installations and therefore it did absolutely nothing, which makes sense considering the fact that (as I had already said before) recovery mode can't detect the Windows installation in the first place.

So... yeah.

Back