Windows 7 Windows wireless service is not running...

Kemosaabi

Hey All,

I have a two month old, custom built desktop running Windows 7 and last Friday, without any seeming provocation, my wireless network disappeared. My computer is completely unable to see any wireless networks. My router is working fine (I'm using it to post this from another computer), and my wireless adapter works perfectly (again, using it to post this). When I ask Windows to diagnose the problem, it tells me that the Windows wireless service is not running.

After much research and several sfc scans, I can safely say that it appears to be a registry issue. System restores, both by Windows and from backups have failed to correct the errors. I've seen several possible solutions like:

Run CMD as Admin...
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset "c:\reset.log"
netsh int ipv6 reset "c:\reset.log"

and

Windows wireless service is not running on this computer - Microsoft Answers

and

Go into the registry with regedit for this:
Open the Registry Editor
Expand: HKEY Local Machine > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > Ndisuio
In this key there is an entry called "START". This entry must be set to 3 for the NDIS E/S protocol to boot properly.
A virus as Beagle/ Bagle will change this value to 4 and causes the problem.

with no joy. Has anybody found another solution to this problem that doesn't involve a clean install?

Thanks for the help.

It sounds like you are moving your wireless adapter to another computer. What type of adapter is it? Since it appears to work on one but not the other, comparing installs might help.

You have in fact confirmed WLAN service is running (Wlansvc)?

Have you tried updating or reinstalling or rolling back the Wireless Network Adapter driver?

The adapter itself is a Zonet 802.11g Wireless USB adapter. The installs aren't comparable as the functional computer is a work computer (laptop) running XP and the non-working one is a personal computer (desktop) running Windows 7. Also, the adapter worked for a long time on the desktop with no problem at all.

I reinstalled the drivers for both the adapter itself, and the networking drivers on the motherboard with no success.

Wlansvc is not running. It is set to automatic startup, and when I hit start, I get the error "Windows could not start the WLAN AutoConfig service on Local Computer.

Error 0xc00ce508"

Since then, I have successfully run dskchk /f/r without result. When I run sfc /scannow I get the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Not particularly helpful.

Most of the advice I've found is to do a system restore. I did this and the wireless service still does not start. I don't want to do a full reformat in case the problem exists in my backup as well.

Running a startup repair from the the recovery mode gives me a message telling me to unplug all devices, even when only a mouse and keyboard are plugged in.

Any other ideas?

It sounds like you are moving your wireless adapter to another computer. What type of adapter is it? Since it appears to work on one but not the other, comparing installs might help.

You have in fact confirmed WLAN service is running (Wlansvc)?

Have you tried updating or reinstalling or rolling back the Wireless Network Adapter driver?

The SFC has said you have some system files that are missing or corrupt. Possibly the problem is with one of those files. Check this Microsoft site, but just do the part that gives you the text file you could attach, unless you want to go ahead and try to replace some files.

Do you have an Install DVD so you can do a Repair install? After SP1 is installed, it becomes harder but might be necessary in your case.

If some files are corrupt, most would suspect a virus or some system problem causing the corruption. That will have to be investigated.

The repair install just tells me to disconnect any new devices I've connected, even if the only things plugged in are my mouse and keyboard. No idea what's happening there.

I've done several different virus scans (Norton, Vipre, etc...) along with malware and adware scans and they all come up clean, which I think either means it's some other type of corruption happening, or the virus got in, did it's damage and deleted itself. This is also why I'm hesitant to just wipe my drive and use a backup, in case the virus is in the backup as well.

I wish I could help, but as long as you have core system files that might be corrupted, the system may not work correctly.

If you want to try, open the Services dialog and right click the WLAN Auto Config, then properties and it will show the dependencies. One is RPC or Remote Procedure Call. You might check that to see if it is running and if you can find the others, look there also, but I do not know the exact name. Or check Link Removed due to 404 Error to see how it explains what must be running for WLANSVC to operate. Maybe something else needs to be started, or at least you might be able to tell what else is not running.

There are other things that can cause some system corruption, so it may not be a virus.

All of the services that WLAN Autoconfig needs are running and in good shape. It looks like it's just some registry corruption from some unknown cause. It's looking like I'll just have to do a clean install of Windows. A huge pain, but not the end of the world. Thanks for the advice. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Back