Windows 7 Wired networking stopped working in Windows

CSP2

This is just about the fastest I've ever been baffled by a computer issue.

Tonight my computer crashed, as it does most nights (a separate problem that I'm still working on). But this time when it restarted, I found that I had no internet. I also couldn't connect to my router by entering its IP address. The networking troubleshooter in the system tray insists that the cable is unplugged, which of course is not true.

I know it's a software issue because I happen to have a portable Ubuntu distro lying around, and the connection works fine in that. I also have a wireless networking card installed, and I can connect using that.

So far I've uninstalled and reinstalled the network adaptor, which is about the only thing I can think to do.

I have no idea if it's related, but the only difference when the computer crashed this time was that I had an instance of TeamViewer running because I was about to give remote assistance to my parents for an issue of their own. This has not been a good night.

Maybe you should find the sources of the constant crashes first. Have you scanned for virus, malware. etc? How about posting your system spec and a dump file for one of the members to analyze.
Joe

Normally I would suggest rebuilding Winsock and the IP stack, but since you say the wireless is working fine under Windows 7 then I wouldn't suspect that that is the problem. You can still try it if you like launch a command prompt as administrator and type
netsh int ip reset c:\ipreset.txt (hit enter)
then type
netsh winsock reset (hit enter)
reboot.
Otherwise, as Joe S suggested perhaps start a thread in the BSOD sub-forum and include the mini-dump and read this
http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/38837-how-ask-help-bsod-problem.html
I know we've seen issues with crashes associated with bad or old network card drivers so it might help and you may have to address this issue first.

I gave that a shot a few months ago. Here's the thread: http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/45473-freezing-bsod-windows-7-64-a.html

TorrentG gave a valiant effort, but no luck. Any new insights are appreciated, of course.

The Winsock/IP stack reset didn't work.

I haven't done a system reformat because I've been following some leads pointing at a hardware issue for the last few months, but now I'm not so sure. Between both of these problems, maybe it's time to try it.

Did you get the MoBo RMA'd? I have to think, especially if this is an integrated on the MoBo wired network adapter, that this might be another indication that the MoBo is wonky.

I didn't replace the motherboard because I started looking into the possibility of a faulty memory controller on the processor. But honestly, I'm not even sure if the issue is memory-related anymore. Stability time no longer seems to be correlated with memory clock speed.

I've got to admit that I haven't got the faintest idea at this point what's wrong, and I haven't got any spare parts to test with. If things don't change after the reformat, I guess I have no choice but to start sending random parts in.

Well, if your efforts, combined with TorrentG's expertise was unsuccessful in resolving the crash issues then the problem must be serious indeed.
We've all been there, I myself had a terrible experience with an Intel Mobo, retail box. I was sure that the problems that I was having could not be related to the brand new, kinda expensive motherboard that I had just installed, but come to find out, that's exactly what it was. By the time the RMA arrived the swelling in my forehead had gone down and some of the hair had starting growing back in.
So, yes if the clean install doesn't seem to have helped or only helped some or only for a time and then things start all over again don't hesitate to RMA or use the warranty, that why the exist. Best of Luck.

Back
Top Bottom