Windows 7 Wireless Network Constantly "Identifying... (Network)" "No Internet acess"

JMe

This morning my computer restarted itself after carrying out a Windows Update, unprompted, as usual. However, when I woke up and logged in my wireless network would not allow me internet access.

Instead I get a yellow exclamation mark over the signal strength bars. In addition to this the windows wireless tool just displays "Identifying... (Tiscali)" constantly. It is sending packets but not receiving any what so ever.

In addition to this, and I'm not sure it's relevant or not but I am using Avast! anti virus and it's "Web shield" function will not turn on.

I have tried a wired connection with the same result. I have also tried another router wirelessly with the same problem.

Usually this can be fixed by a reboot of the computer and/or the router however no such luck.

I have tried a few things i.e. updating drivers enabling/ disabling the adaptor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Setup:-

Laptop - Medion E7217

Router - Simens SE587

Wireless Adaptor - Realtek RTL8191SE

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

IS - Avast! Free anti-virus Windows firewall.

I too have had the same thing happen. I don't know why with MS updates but thats generally the time my goes haywire as well. For me I just reset my router by unplugging it for a minute along w/modem. Upon restart of PC it fires right up and connection is on.

I have just tried that. I unplugged the router. Took the battery off the laptop and made a cup of tea.

Plugged it all back in, booted everything up and the same thing happens.

I'm pretty sure it isn't anything router end as I'm typing this on my XP Pro desktop connected wirelessly to the router.

I have tried the wireless adaptor from the desktop in the laptop but it isn't compatible with Win 7

Any more ideas? This is starting to drive me crazy!

Try uninstalling Avast, go here avast! Uninstall Utility and follow the directions for a safemode uninstall, reboot in normal mode and see if the problem persists. You can always re-install later if it doesn't provide a resolution to the problem.
If not go here
Link Removed - Invalid URL select your adapter and download the the Windows 7 driver package. Unzip to a folder on your computer and force a driver install using device manager..expand network adapters, select the problem wireless card, right click it and choose properties, then select the driver tab and choose update driver button,
Browse my computer, let me pick, have disk button, and browse to the extracted file location on your computer.
To prevent problems with Windows Update installing unwanted device drivers in the future you need to turn that option off in Windows Update, if you need help finding it post back and we'll help.
Keep us posted.

Okay, removed Avast in safemode. I've turned windows firewall off. Still nothing.

New drivers. Wasn't sure if it was the VA2 version. So checked on device manager and it was the standard one so installed drivers and I'm getting the same.

I went to windows update to try and view the update history thinking that might shed some light on it but it won't show the history. Is the history linked to having web access?

So we have no avast, new drivers but the same problem.

Since your problem seems to be with both your wired and wireless connections (if I read your OP correctly) maybe trying rebuilding the IP stack and Winsock
Open an elevated command prompt (right click the shortcut and choose run as administrator)
and type the following

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

reboot and see if that helps.

Where did you get the drivers for the "Standard One"
The only option that I was able to find on the RealTek site for a card with a RTL8191SE chipset had the -VA2 designation with it.

No change.

If it helps I will post ipconfig /all although I can't see anything erroneous with it.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Administrator
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PC
I-E NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-4B-D6-4C-4E-23
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c73:ecb9:33a:1ce6%12(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.28.230(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : airangel.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-30-3B-CC

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

I can't help thinking that this is going to end up as a really simple fix when we get around to it. I just hope its not an 1d10t error. : p

Thanks for all your help so far, keep the good pointers coming : )

Where did you get the drivers for the "Standard One"
The only option that I was able to find on the RealTek site for a card with a RTL8191SE chipset had the -VA2 designation with it.

I got it from the same link you posted for me. It was just underneath the card with the -VA2 designation.

If you think it will make a difference I can try the -VA2 drivers.

Edit: Just looked again, I was missing a number. I'm now downloading the -VA2 drivers. Will see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
I got it from the same link you posted for me. It was just underneath the card with the -VA2 designation.

If you think it will make a difference I can try the -VA2 drivers.

No probably not, so let that thought go.
Couple things to try
First delete any existing wireless profiles. Open network and sharing center, choose manage wireless connection from left column, select and delete any profiles and then use the add+ utility to add a new profile manually.
If that doesn't work, try resetting router to factory defaults by employing the recessed reset button on the back, this should remove any previously configured custom settings, which is good and bad, good in that wireless encryption may be an issue and this step should eliminate that as a potential issue. Bad in that you may need to add back your username and password to the WAN side if you are using a PPPoE connection like ATT and of course other customization like the admin password.
If still no joy, then a full network reboot that includes your ISP's provided device and router.
Bring the wired adapter back into the equation, and post an ipconfig /all with results for that adapter included, it is presently showing as media state disconnected.
You can also try manually assigning static ip address values for either or both network cards in the IPv4 properties and you may also want to uncheck IPv6 for both while you are in there, just to take that out of the equation.

Wireless profiles deleted. New profile added. Get the same Yellow exclamation mark.

At the minute I am slightly reluctant to hard reset the router as I'm not sure I can remember the password so would need to contact my ISP for that, also I don't think I would be able to cat5 to the router because the laptop won't connect to it even if it is wired. This computer is running from this router via wireless and it also connects to my neighbours wireless (but shh, don't tell him). However if you think it would help the problem I will try it and see what happens. (However when Itry to get to the 192.168.1.1 page it won't even try to resolve it.)

Ipconfig w/ wired connection.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Administrator
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : airangel.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PC
I-E NIC

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-30-3B-CC
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.11.78(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{901837D4-C2E7-4608-88E5-4CBAE7775898}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.airangel.com:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\Windows\system32>

Have disabled Ipv6 on wireless and wired with no change.

So do you think it would be worth hard resetting the router?

Just a thought...is your MAC address clone service set to enabled or disabled. Make sure it's enabled and click clone your PC MAC. See if that does anything for you before you reset router...

Re: Wireless Network Constantly "Identifying... (Network)" "No Internet access"

Just a thought...is your MAC address clone service set to enabled or disabled. Make sure it's enabled and click clone your PC MAC. See if that does anything for you before you reset router...

Sorry, I'm more of a hardware geek. Where would I find the MAC clone server? of a hardware geek. Where would I find the MAC clone server?

Last edited:

Not sure, but while we're waiting for bassfisher6522 to reply to your question above, let's try this.
Type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
select then right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
select the advanced tab at the top and in the property box look for something called physical address and highlight it
on the right side if the radio button titled "Not Present" is selected
change it to the other radio button and enter this into the box
1C4BD64C4E23
OK your way back out of there and reboot.

It's on your routers web based page......to get there type in your browsers search field...the very top one(see highlighted insert).....192.168.x.x .....the x's being your pc's. most are 192.168.1.1 and so on down the line for how ever many PC's in your home network. I'm not sure about your brand of router, having hard time finding one on the web/net.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:

Not sure, but while we're waiting for bassfisher6522 to reply to your question above, let's try this.
Type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
select then right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
select the advanced tab at the top and in the property box look for something called physical address and highlight it
on the right side if the radio button titled "Not Present" is selected
change it to the other radio button and enter this into the box
1C4BD64C4E23
OK your way back out of there and reboot.

Sorry, I don't quite follow

I've got ncpa.cpl up and when I right click -> properties I get a box with the title of "Wireless Network Connection Properties" But I don't have an "Advanced" tab.

However if I go to "Configure" -> Details on this box while I don't get anything with a mention of radio or "Physical Address" I do get the property "Address" with a value of "00000000"

Have I missed a step out here?

Yes sorry I left out the step to click the Configure Button. My apologies.
See attachment.

Untitled.jpg

This is all I get. Would this then require a trip into regedit?

Interesting. What is the setting defaulting to under wireless mode, you may try experimenting with other available options. Depending on what your router is capable of, you might try B/G or B only or G only.

It defaults to B/G/N I've tried all three variations with no luck.
I just don't understand how it can affect both adaptors. Wired and Wireless. It seems so strange. I've been at this for nearly 16 hours now and I can't think what we haven't tried.

Back