Windows 7 Belkin Modem/Router Reset

magiccottage

My brother for whatever reason in the week was fiddling around with the security settings on his Belkin router and frankly think he got in a muddle and so pressed the tiny reset button on the rear panel. It's the model with two aerials.

All actually appears to be well with a couple of exceptions. He can no longer access Paypal, the payment options in eBay and a book online website he uses for his b&b. All these sites timeout using any browser. All other sites appear to be OK and he has an O2 mobile dongle and when using this the 3 sites I have mentioned he gains full access with no problem. I have looked at the settings on the Belkin router and can see nothing odd. He has bought his laptop to my house and again he connects to Paypal etc. with no problem.

I cannot think of anything to help him. I am completely at a loss to understand why he cannot access these sites on the Belkin. Any ideas would be appreciated.

seems odd that he could have blocked just those specifc sites alone unless the model features a website blacklist option, I have had a few Belkin routers (currently the N1-Vision model) and havent had one with website filtering so unsure where the issue would be other than the DNS timeing out or browsers themselves.

Last edited:
Does he have the firewall enabled on the router?

Last edited:
Does the Security Log mention anything?

They appear to be HTTPS: sites, but if the laptop reaches them without problems it must be related to the router. I am not sure we have the same router, but I do not really see any settings for the firewall.

Is UPnP enabled?

Your original post was about a modem, is this unit a modem and a router? In one instance he is on a private network, maybe the settings for the different networks are involved. But I can only guess. Maybe rebooting the router would help.

Does the Security Log mention anything?

They appear to be HTTPS: sites, but if the laptop reaches them without problems it must be related to the router. I am not sure we have the same router, but I do not really see anything any settings for the firewall.

Is UPnP enabled?

Your original post was about a modem, is this unit a modem and a router?

The unit is certainly described as a router/modem and I will check tomorrow to see of UPnP is enabled

Back