Windows XP blue screen problems

conceptualclarity

I have had a number of blue screens lately. 4 out of 5 have been UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.. I've attached five minidump files.

Computer
Dell Computer Dimension 2400 (desktop) 2003
Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition (original and pre-installed) 32-bit SP3
reinstalled 02-20-2014
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
80 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
3.94 GBGB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
500.11 GB HGST USB Device (external hard drive)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Roboscan

Attachments

• Mini081914-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 579
  • Mini081914-02.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 567
  • Mini082714-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 605
  • Mini090214-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 570
  • Mini090714-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 619
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007F, {8, 80042000, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for VVBackd5.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for VVBackd5.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ambakdrv.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ambakdrv.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for hotcore3.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for hotcore3.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for oodisr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for oodisr.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for oodivd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for oodivd.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for EUBKMON.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for EUBKMON.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cumon.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for cumon.sys
Probably caused by : usbehci.sys ( usbehci!EHCI_PollAsyncEndpoint+8 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
all your dump files are of the same bugcheck and usually mean you have some corruption either within windows or third party software.. Looking through the dump file it seems the issue or issues are coming from the either the USB ports or the external drive. Try removing the external drive and seeing the bsod stops. If it does stop then we have to ascertain what it is about the drive that's causing the error.
If you have a XP disk try running the system repair:
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/helpcentre/troubleshooting/winxp/index.xml?ID=body.1_div.7

Try to update the third party software your using as some stretches back to 1998!!! (Belarc Advisor).

I notice you have a few back up applications. Try to stick with just one removing the others and anything else your not either using or isn't required any more.

Uninstall Superantispyware and use MSE as it's very stable:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

Thank you very much for your response.

I ran Belarc and didn't see the 1998 reference you saw. Maybe you're matching your memory to some of the program versions you saw I had. I do use several update programs, but there are a whole lot of Microsoft programs I'm not allowed to update because I'm on XP for a while longer.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I haven't actually set up a backup program. I've been busy with a lot of other things, including almost 2 months of pneumonia. I acquired a lot of shareware backup programs on giveaway sites for possible future use. I have AOEMI Backupper Pro, Backup SF3, EaseUS Todo Backup Home, EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation, FarStone RestoreIT, Nero BackItUp, O&O DiskImage, Paragom Backup and Recovery 14 Compact, PCSuite Backup Easy, and maybe others. I've got Total Recovery Pro 9, but I'm not sure if it's usable or not. Do you have any suggestions as to which of those would be the best for me to use?

The SUPERAntispyware service runs realtime--it's a tiny process, but the program itself does not. I had to uninstall MSE twice because on my processing-poor computer it froze my system by occasionally going crazy on CPU usage, especially when downloading. I've found Avast, Webroot (6-month trial), and my current AV Roboscan a lot easier to handle on this system. I really like Roboscan.

I am running many of my most important programs off the external drive and using it as my download location to save space on the small internal drive, so I'm not eager to disconnect it. You mentioned it could be the USB ports causing my blue screens. What would I do about that possibility?

I have a Dell XP reinstallation disk for XP Home with Service Pack 1a. I don't think that's the same thing you had in mind, is it?

Code:

BugCheck 1000000A, {e180c5f0, 2, 0, 804dc25d}

Unable to load image WRkrn.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for WRkrn.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for WRkrn.sys
Probably caused by : GUBootStartup.sys ( GUBootStartup+c54 )

Hi,
as it's been a couple of days since I read your dump files I reread the one above and hey it seems this one escaped me. The above can be caused by either old or corrupt drivers. I'd try removing the probable cause and seeing if it stops the bsod:

GUBootStartup.sys Wed Jul 30 06:39:21 2014: GlarySoft - Glary Utilities Startup Manager Tool driver

Oh and the 1998 driver is here (taken from your driver stack):
BANTExt.sys Thu May 28 03:43:29 1998: Belarc SMBios Access Driver

Using your installation disk is exactly what i meant by trying the repair option.. :) This link has all the info you need on what to do:
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/helpcentre/troubleshooting/winxp/index.xml?ID=body.1_div.7

As for which back up app to use I'm afraid i haven't used any of those listed. This link may help:
http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...kup-software-11-programs-we-recommend-1137924

Regarding the USB, I couldn't find a specific driver on the motherboard support page so try running the Intel driver utility

Intel driver update utility:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Your system support page is here:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-2400/drivers

Post any new dump files.

Thanks. Well, I have some driver programs, so I'll run them. I have been hyper-cautious about driver updating because the consensus of techies seems to be don't do it unless you have to, that you can make a terrible mess.

Glary Utilities Startup Manager Tool driver--that's bizarre. I've probably only poked around in it a couple of times, because I didn't find there was anything special about it. I would kind of suspect I was just running Glary and not that specific module.

Thank you very much for those links.

The Intel® Driver Update Utility didn't resolve anything for me. See screenshots. I also included what Dell found.

Attachments

• Intel Driver Update results1.png
    Intel Driver Update results1.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IntelDriverUpdate results2.png
    IntelDriverUpdate results2.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Dell updates1.png
    Dell updates1.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 791
  • Dell updates2.png
    Dell updates2.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 670
  • Dell updates3.png
    Dell updates3.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 755
Hi Conceptual,
the consensus of techies seems to be don't do it unless you have to, that you can make a terrible mess.
Hmm.. to be honest it is always more desirable to have the latest drivers. Admittedly some older hardware may run better on a particular driver compared to another but that's usually quite rare. Also apps that update the drivers automatically are fine if they are something like the Intel auto updater or the official Dell updater but those third party apps one can download are to be avoided. You'd be better off finding each driver yourself. You get to know the system better and your system will be happier overall. Personally I back my drivers up by keeping a copy on a different drive just in case I need to reformat or something get's corrupted then I always have a copy.
Looking at the Intel driver update result you posted it seems it couldn't update the graphics driver because of the generic driver already installed.
Do you remember where you got the driver from?

Also has the bsod stopped? If you have any further dump files please post... :)

Just had another blue screen. This happened just as I was shutting down the system because Outlook Express was persistently unresponsive. (It's responsive on reboot.)

I believe this is the first time I have gotten "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

Attachments

• Mini092014-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 581
Code:

BugCheck 10000050, {fffffffb, 0, 8054b732, 0}

Unable to load image ialmnt5.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ialmnt5.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ialmnt5.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ialmdev5.DLL
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ialmdev5.DLL
Probably caused by : ialmnt5.sys ( ialmnt5+9dd1 )

Hi,
main causes for the above Bugcheck are:
Cause
Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.
Ref:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/hardware/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

Also ialmnt5.sys relates to Intel Graphics Accelerator Miniport Driver so may need either updating or re-installing. As I mentioned above can you remember where you got the driver from as the Intel auto updater is calling it 'generic'.

It also sounds like you have some system corruption and I would suggest running the system file scanner:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Check your HDD hasn't got any bad sectors by running a chkdsk:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=102348

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Post any new dump files.

Hi kemical. Thanks for all of your help.

I've been having a world of trouble with sfc /scannow. I had to go to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897128 to find out how to go into .inf files and get XP to stop calling for the Professional CD. But now it gives me the message "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 CD now." I don't have an SP3 CD. I only have a Dell Reinstallation Cd for XP Home Service Pack 1a.

I ran a reboot chkdsk this morning. I had it set for doing both C and my external hard drive F but it didn't do F. I was out of the room for a while during the C files check, but I didn't see indication that chkdsk found anything. I'm going to close all my F processes now and see if I can chkdsk F.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the CD you have is an actual install disk then I'd try that regarding the system file issue. It's probably only asking for the sp3 version because that's the latest version, by the way are you running xp with the latest service packs?

Yes, I'm running XP with SP3. I'm pretty sure I got it by download when a computer-savvy friend came over to give some help years ago.

Reinstalling XP is not something I want to do at this time. It would be a huge mess, with wiping out my programs, etc. So I want to find some workaround. I found https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100207122037AAkLrXF which references a program I can get on free trial. It says at http://www.litepc.com/xplite/dllcache.htm:
XPlite Professional can completely uninstall Clear the File Protection DllCache and reinstall to repair Clear the File Protection DllCache on:

• Windows XP Professional: orig, SP1, SP2
Don't know why it doesn't list SP3.

I also see mention of the I386 file at http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-24.html and http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266779-45-missing.

When I try to chkdsk F with all F processes closed down it tells me no go because it needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. On F I have professionally recovered data from a previous hard drive. I look on a MasterSeeker search for Windows on F, and the only system files I see are a couple of codecs DLLs. Other than that there's a lot of application data, start menu items and programs like Windows Live and Windows Search, Windows\Media and Windows\Help stuff, .NET Framework stuff, and .NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL stuff. It would be tedious to try to remove all that stuff from F. I destroyed those recovered codecs files because they appeared to be identical to what's on C. I hoped maybe that would allow me to chkdsk F, but no such luck.

It would really help me if I could get Windows to do what it says it will do in terms of chdsking F on restart. Have any ideas? A search I did was unfruitful.

Interestingly, I was checking Autoruns, and I found Glary Utilities Startup Manager Tool listed as a startup program. I can't understand, because I haven't been seeing it on Process Explorer or Task Manager. I unchecked it.

I was fiddling around on Firefox trying in vain to identify an extension that was the source of a troublesome script. I found something about the Intel graphics driver. Screenshot included.

Looking at the Intel driver update result you posted it seems it couldn't update the graphics driver because of the generic driver already installed.
Do you remember where you got the driver from?

No, I don't. I have literally only updated one or two drivers to date. Among my recovered data in the folder of Windows Patch Loader there is a CAB archive that says it is this very driver update. I feel fairly certain that I did not previously utilize this file. I don't think I've ever done anything with a CAB file.

I am going to try to get to work on the drivers.

You'd be better off finding each driver yourself. You get to know the system better and your system will be happier overall.

How do I do this? By search engine I guess? I've never gotten a driver that way.

Today just before I arrived home there was a blue screen with spontaneous reboot. Dump file uploaded. I have it set on Properties for the system not to restart after system failure. Usually it doesn't. I don't know why it did this time. I wish I could prevent that.

Attachments

• on Firefox Troubleshooting Information.png
    on Firefox Troubleshooting Information.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 794
  • Mini092114-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 535
Code:

BugCheck 1000007F, {8, 80042000, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for VVBackd5.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for VVBackd5.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ambakdrv.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ambakdrv.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for hotcore3.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for hotcore3.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for oodisr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for oodisr.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for oodivd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for oodivd.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for EUBKMON.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for EUBKMON.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cumon.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for cumon.sys
Probably caused by : usbehci.sys ( usbehci!EHCI_AllocNpPool+1b )

Hi,
the above Bugcheck relates to corruption within the os and usbehci.sys is a USB windows driver. Try running the system repair i outlined above:
Using the repair console it will only repair the files (hopefully) and won't write over any of your apps.

I gather reading your post above your trying to run chkdsk from a command line. As it's not working try the other way which is outlined in this link:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=102348
Make sure both boxes are ticked to automatically find and repair sectors You'll then need to reboot but just follow the guide above and you should be ok.

Going back to the SFC, when the system asks for XP SP3 have you tried using the disk you have? I'm pretty sure it will contain the files needed. I'd also avoid the xplite app, unless someone you know say's yes it's great try using it I'd avoid it and apps of a similar nature.

Driver wise may mean re-installing old drivers as your system (as well as an unsupported operating system) is getting a tad old. Let's see if we can get this corruption dealt with first.
I'd also go through your add and remove programs to remove anything your not using.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I got caught up in other things and delayed my response. I am strongly inclined before using the repair console to do a backup of my system, which I'm embarrassed to say I've never done before.

Actually I have mostly been trying to run chkdsk using Explorer as set forth at http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=102348. I couldn't get it to chkdsk F on reboot. I'm trying again now. The instructions at that page on using command prompt are good, but they don't tell how to do it for a drive other than C.

What I did do is run the disk error check modules of Advanced System Care Pro and Ashampoo WinOptimizer. With ASC I got "found errors" for both disks and it said something about a report, but it wouldn't show it to me. It just wanted me to reboot. when it rebooted it ran chkdsk for C only and never showed me any report. A second round on ASC showed no errors found for both disks. Ashampp WinOptimizer also showed no errors found for both.

Have you heard of the I386 file?

I have been working with getting all the Visual Cs on my system that I could. Yesterday I noticed a strange thing--a log file suddenly appeared in the Windows folder. It's all about drivers. It starts in August. It was the day I took my computer back to the shop. My flash drive had gotten bent while there and had become unusable. I have been trying to upload it here, but Explorer wouldn't show it. I finally figured out to convert it away from .log by renaming it to .txt and .pdf. Then I can't upload it because it's too big at 1.6 MB. How small do I have to get it to upload it here? I could split it in two by copying and pasting. Is there any format that would make it smaller?

The instructions at that page on using command prompt are good, but they don't tell how to do it for a drive other than C.
Use the same instructions for other drives. Simply right click on the drive you want to test and go from there.

Have you heard of the I386 file?
This is a folder created by windows on installation and contains files needed to repair or upgrade the system:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5078598_file.html

Do you want any information on performing back ups?

I would certainly welcome information on performing backups.

I had a hard drive failure and had professional data recovery. I haven't reintegrated most of the recovered material yet. It's in a big folder 431730 on my external hard drive F. The programs in 431730 are usable to me right now, but they don't show up in Add or Remove Programs, third-party uninstallers, my start menu, etc.

I did a MasterSeeker search on i386. On C I have a couple of 1386 folders. One is at C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386, 86.1 MB with 14 files, none DLLs. A second one is at C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\XPSEP\i386, 4.78 MB with 9 files, 5 of them DLLs. By contrast in 431730 there is F:\431730\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, a big 516 MB i386 folder with a multitude of DLLs. I'm wondering if moving my old 1386 folder or the ServicePackFiles folder containing it to C:\WINDOWS\. might solve my sfc /scannow problems. Could it hurt?

Use the same instructions for other drives. Simply right click on the drive you want to test and go from there.

I have been doing that procedure that begins with the right click for F. For some reason Windows ignores my instructions to chkdsk F at the next startup. In regard to the command line option, it says :

Note: chkdsk c: /r presumes that the disk upon which you wish to run Error Checking is your C: Drive (most often)

I don't see a way to override that presumption.

Back to that file on drivers, as I asked : How small do I have to get it to upload it here? I could split it in two by copying and pasting. Is there any format that would make it smaller?

Regarding your recovered data did the professional data recovery team leave you any data on how to proceed with your reclaimed material?
To be totally honest with Conceptual it's been so long since I last used xp that I'm struggling to remember if moving your i386 is a good idea.Read this for further info:
http://ask-leo.com/can_i_move_or_delete_my_i386_directory_to_free_up_some_space.html
I'm going to ask a friend to give your thread a look over for a second opinion because I would hate to give you the wrong advice. Personally I feel your os is hopelessly corrupted but let's see what he say's.

Regarding the uploading of files. We did have a security issue which has now been fixed so all should be working fine now.

Backing up your files:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7

http://www.wikihow.com/Back-up-a-Computer

http://lifehacker.com/5816453/how-to-back-up-your-computer

I'm going to ask a friend to give your thread a look over for a second opinion because I would hate to give you the wrong advice.

I really appreciate all this. And thanks for the links.

[QUOTERegarding your recovered data did the professional data recovery team leave you any data on how to proceed with your reclaimed material? ][/QUOTE]

They told me how to reintegrate emails and make a backup of the recovered data file, but they didn't get into advice on reintegrating Windows files. I sort of assumed that my replacement hard drive installation would have all the same Windows files, but looking into this i386 matter shows me how drastically wrong that assumption can be.

I uploaded the file I talked about previously and a similar one that starts on 9/29.

Attachments

• setupapi2.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,100
  • setupapi3.txt
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,028
Hi Conceptual,
as mentioned I did ask a friend to look over your thread and he drew similar conclusions. The problem is that any solution involving the use of disks means you need a copy of XP SP3. I doubt very much moving files will fix your issue/s as ultimately it will probably still come down to you needing a copy of XP SP3.
I was wondering where you could even purchase a copy and then after googling I noticed you could pick up a copy from Ebay (remember you need an activation key with the disk). It's either that or you update to a later version of Windows.
You also need to remove anything your not using app wise. To just leave them hanging around is taking up valuable space on the hard drive, if it isn't needed and your not using it then remove it. Your operating system will run better for it.
Regarding the recovered files and folders. Does the recovery company have a website with a support section? If you can't find it post the name up and i'll have a look see for you.. :)

Additionally as a last ditch diagnostic step.....
Unplug any peripherals especially USB device and even more especially that external drive with the backup files on it.
Just leave it with a Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse attached for a while and see if it Blue Screens. If it has PS2 ports, I'd even consider attaching a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse on a trial basis.

Thanks for your suggestions, Trouble.

Hi kemical,

I'm following your suggestion about getting rid of stuff I don't really want on my system. I'm focusing first on the biggest unwanted files and folders. Uninstall programs are no help on my huge recovered data section and on a lot of my other material. I don't care to use the recycler for stuff I've really decided I don't need, so I'm shredding lots of files and folders. I'm using Glary Utilities and Advanced System Care for the larger ones, Ashampoo WinOptimizer for smaller ones, all from my context menu. It's pretty slow going. If you know of a free file shredder program that's really powerful and really fast, please let me know.

I've been running into several problems I'll probably post separate questions about tomorrow.

Back