Windows 10 Boot disk failure message on first boot attempt

Graham Matthews

Apologies if I am duplicating an issue here.

Just recently I bought a new copy of Windows 10 64 bit and a Toshiba Q300 480g SSD.

I removed the old HDD (which was still running XP), connected the SSD and tried to install Windows 10. No luck at all - it did not identify the SSD drive and wouldn't install.

I replaced the old HDD and it installed straight away and perfectly but I wanted the installation on the SSD so I cloned the new installation from the regular HDD to the SSD.

I disconnected the HDD and reconnected the SSD and fired the machine up. I got the message "Boot disk failure - insert system disk and press enter".

I turned the machine off and turned it on again straight away and it booted up with no errors at all in double quick time. I figured that my problem was a one-off but no; every time I shut down correctly it will NOT start again on the first boot attempt but if I turn it off and on again it boots through no problem.

If I put the old HDD back in it boots straight up.

Today I tried a clean install on to the SSD and before I began the install I formatted the partition I was going to install on (partition C).

The install went great but I am back to square one with the boot error message - at the first attempt I still get the disk boot failure error message, I turn it off and on again straight away and it boots through.

It also boots straight through on a 'restart'; it is only the clean boot from cold that gives me the problem.

I tried he online support. They sent me an email with some suggestions, none of which worked and most of which were not relevant.

I have Google'd this issue until my eyes started bleeding (metaphorically speaking) but simply cannot find an answer anywhere.

So, if any of you out there in Windows 10 land have a fix for me I shall be eternally grateful.

Graham

Hi Graham,
I'm just wondering how old your machine is if it was running xp?

Can you post the make and model of your machine please.

SSD's always run better on AHCI mode as opposed to IDE so check in your Bios to see if you have that option.

Also up to date SATA drivers would help. Did you install any drivers for the storage controllers?

Hi Graham,
I'm just wondering how old your machine is if it was running xp?

Can you post the make and model of your machine please.

SSD's always run better on AHCI mode as opposed to IDE so check in your Bios to see if you have that option.

Also up to date SATA drivers would help. Did you install any drivers for the storage controllers?

OK - does this help:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-I2VGBM8
System Manufacturer DIXONSXP
System Model Ei 307
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 18/06/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Foxconn
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.420"
Username DESKTOP-I2VGBM8\Graham Matthews
Time Zone GMT Summer Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.02 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.83 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions No
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions No
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

I have tried update in the storage controller but it tells me that the optimum driver is installed.

I will have to shut down/restart and check the BIOS.

Thing is, it's running Windows 10 perfectly! The only problem is the clean boot message. And as I said earlier, if I put the old HDD with Windows 10 back in it boots with no problem.

Graham

Add - can't immediately spot anything relating to AHCI in BIOS but then again, not too sure quite where I might find it.

Last edited:
EFI mode will only work if Windows 10 is installed as such which can be determined by looking in disk management and see if there is a ESP partition. I would say this issue is due to how the old the BIOS is on the board and since it's such an old board there probably isn't any update to fix the issue.

Well since the consensus seems to be that it's the age of the board maybe I need to look at upgrading the board or *choke* building a new machine....... :)

I hate built in obsolescence.

Graham

Kemical

Here is the Speccy info on the MB

Manufacturer Foxconn
Model 45GM/45CM (Socket 775)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model i945G
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801GB (ICH7/R)
Southbridge Revision A1
System Temperature 40 °C
BIOS
Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version 6.00 PG
Date 18/06/2007
Voltage
CPU CORE 1.232 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1.504 V
+3.3V 3.344 V
+5V 5.000 V
+12V 12.032 V
-5V -4.672 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 3.011 V
CMOS BATTERY 3.264 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Characteristics 5V, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI2
Characteristics 5V, PME
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation PCI3
Characteristics 5V, PME
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCI4
Characteristics 5V, PME
Slot Number 3

Couldn't post earlier as have been to work. :-(

Graham

As a kind of update I have been loading all of my needed software (again) and tried the 'sleep' button on my MS keyboard which effectively turned the machine off.

When I hit the on button again it booted straight through! I shall, of course, try that again and if it works again that will be my preferred method of shutdown and boot.

We shall see......

Graham

Just to be clear sleep is not shutting the computer off. Power off is the S5 power state (this is also known as soft off). Sleep will put your computer in one of the following states S1, S2, S3 depending on what your system support. S4 is hibernate. There is also a "lite sleep" S0 mode on newer computers). Lastly there is G3 which is mechanical off or when the computer is unplugged.

Just to be clear sleep is not shutting the computer off. Power off is the S5 power state (this is also known as soft off). Sleep will put your computer in one of the following states S1, S2, S3 depending on what your system support. S4 is hibernate. There is also a "lite sleep" S0 mode on newer computers). Lastly there is G3 which is mechanical off or when the computer is unplugged.

Well it must have been a one-off because the next time I got a "windows has encountered a problem" message and it rebooted itself.

So effectively - for the time being at least - I am back to the start on the second attempt scenario. Having said that, when it does boot through it is lightning quick so happy, happy, happy with that.

On an unrelated note, less happy with the fact that 10 does not run my 32 bit TWAIN Canon scanner.

Still, onward and upward.

Graham

Hi Graham,
can you post the full make and model.

It's a flatbed CanonScan LIDE 20. It is quite old. I tried installing the drivers from the original CD just in case but it wasn't having any of it.

It's amazing how you just get attached to stuff. HiFi wise I am still running a 1975 Trio amp and tuner and a set of 1978 Sansui 4 way speakers..... still sounds awesome even at their age!

Graham

Hi

Scanners for some reason seem to be the thing that they don't update drivers for.
Back when I moved up to Windows 98 I had a professional HP 11 by 17 scanner that was pretty expensive when I bought it about 3 years before.

It wouldn't work in Windows 98 and when I contacted HP they just told me they had no planes to update the drivers.

I was so mad I never bought an HP product again.

Later I had the same issue when going to Windows 7 with my Epson scanner.

What really made my mad was that after getting more or less the same message from them, I found that there was aftermarket software that will run almost any scanner on any Windows computer.

I had to buy it, but it did save me from having to replace another perfectly good scanner.

I'm pretty sure that this was the software that I used back then...

VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

You might want to check it out, I think they have a trial period so you can try it to make sure it works.

I have an Cannon scanner now! LOL

Mike

Last edited:
Yes I think that is the one I used for the same reason. Now I just get multifunction printers. Don't really have the need for the large format scanners anymore.

Well here's an update to the booting issue, and how strange is this?

I had to dismantle everything the other day to add a second drive for additional storage which meant all cables were pulled including the power cable.

When I plugged everything back in and turned it on it booted straight through without any 'boot disk failure' message and it was lightning fast boot as well.

So after I shut down again I pulled the mains plug and plugged it straight back in. I noticed a small light on the front panel was then lit and concluded from this that what I thought was 'off' wasn't really off, it was 'almost off but not quite.' :)

Anyhow, I have worked out that as long as I pull the mains plug after shutdown it will boot properly when I switch on again.

Happy bunny!

Back