Windows 7 Can't reinstall Norton Ghost on Windows 7?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I had some kind of problem with my Ghost 15 installation.
I kept giving me this message that it couldn't communicate with my computer?
Probably had something to do with getting a new external hard drive for my backlups.

I finally decided to just reinstall it, to reset everything.

It told me that I had to uninstall it first.
I did that and it still kept telling my I had to uninstall.

I ran Revo Uninstaller.
It still kept telling me I had to uninstall it before I could reinstall it.

I finally found the Norton Removal Tool and after running that it would let my reinstall.

When I started it, it said I didn't have permission to run it, even when I logged in as Administrator.

I found the instructions that said I had to uninstall it again, run the reset permissions tool, and then reinstall it again.

I think I did that, (it's weird takes me to a page with no active buttons and I have to click at the top of the screen giving permission to install something, then nothing) now it still tells me that I don't have permission to configure Ghost when I start it.

I'm about ready to give up and switch to another program, I've run Ghost for years, but this is crazy.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, I have the UAC turned off, I don't know what else I can do.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Mike

Hi Mike;
Check with the Symantec/Norton/Ghost forums. You are probably not the only one having that issue. They may very well be aware of the problem and are working on or may already have a solution. Maybe start a trouble ticket with their support site.
I know, my all time favorite similar program "Acronis True Image", a few releases ago (actually quite a few) had a similar problem and required special permission to be set on a particular registry key, don't remember which one, just remember it being a temporary pain in the behind. So, I know you like Ghost, and switching to another program might not always be the best option (even as much as I would like to bring you into the Acronis fold). So knowing you, you're probably already pursuing a solution through Symantec, are you getting any feed back from them on the topic.
Keep us posted, I'm always interested in learning what the solution might be.
Randy

Hi Randy

I'm strongly thinking about switching.
This is bugging me.

I have already posted on the Norton forum, no answer so far.
I have done a lot of research, I found a link to a "Norton Permissions Reset Tool" on the Norton site.
But just to add to the frustration it takes me to a page titled Run the Permissions Reset Tool now, that has no active buttons on it.

I've run searches trying to find some place to download or run the tool with no luck.

And after running the Norton Removal Tool that is supposed to completely remove Norton products, I ran CCleaner and found dozens of left over Registry entries all pertaining to Ghost.

Why does it have to be this complicated all I wanted to do was to repair the installation.

In the past I've had similar issues with McAfee, which I no longer use for anything.

For now I have completed a new system image using Windows 7s own utility and I have a working Windows 7 repair disk.
So if the worst should happen I have a backup of my C:\ drive.

My data drive I back up to a second external drive as a direct copy with no encoding so I don't need any software to access it.

It makes me feel better knowing my data is there and available in the normal uncomplicated manner. I just bring it up to date manually once in a while by turning it on and copying the new stuff to it.

Mike

Last edited:
Checked the Ghost Forum and see that you've "Been there and done that", unless you're not MikeMoss, then there is definitely someone else with the identical problem. Noticed that they also have a Live Chat as Well as an Email Support option that are both free. Have you tried both of those as well?
Link Removed - Invalid URL=

Hi Randy

Yes, MikeMoss is my other handle.

If you are a race car buff, you might figure out that both Moss and Hawthorne were famous British race car drivers.

Both were idols of my youth, Sterling Moss and Mike Hawthorne.
Back in the 60 and early 70s I raced SCCA with an Austin Healey Sprite.

MikeHawthorne is the AKA that I have used for years going way back to the Tomb Raider forums in the 90s.
At some point I had to come up with another name and so MikeMoss was born.

Mike is my real name.

Once I was playing Everquest 2 and my character was named Hawthorne.
Another players character walked up to mine and asked me, Are you the Hawthorne from the Tomb Raider forums?
I guess any kind of fame is better then none. LOL

On the original issue I have found this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This issue can be caused due to the incorrect permission settings for the administrators group.

I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Type the following commands, then press "Enter" to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.

takeown /f C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\rtbackup
cacls C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\rtbackup /G administrators:F

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to give that a try right now.
I'll let you know how I make out.

Mike

Well I tried that and it didn't work either.
I'm giving up for now I've spent too much time on this and I have other things to do.

Sorry to hear that Mike. I know you've been at this for a while and I suspect that you've done everything possible, so I'm a little reluctant to make any suggestions, but....
Is there any chance that the source/install media is somehow bad and somehow corrupting the installation everytime. Can you get your hands on a known good installer file (.msi or .exe), maybe even an older build or whatever they call it in Ghost, and then use the LiveUpdate feature to bring it current? Just grasping at virtual straws here but I thought I would throw that out there.

Hi I have the same problem. Version 12. Another group said ignore the warnings. There is a conflict as Norton say it is compatible.
Desmond.

Hi Guys

The problem isn't that it won't install actually, it is all installed and as far as I know in perfect working condition.

The problem is that Windows won't let me start it.

When I try this screen comes up...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

And when I click next I get this message...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I can't get past this point.
Very frustrating because it would work if I could just get it to let me in.

Mike

Norton Ghost 15 worked fine before I installed windows 7 Service pack 1. I tried to have Norton support try to help me. It was working then it stopped.
Question did you install the service pack 1 and started having problems or did you always have problems with Norton Ghost.

Mike did you turn off your antivirus when you installed? Sometimes they cause problems installing complex software. Avast causes problems with VMware tools if it's running on guest when I install or update them.
Joe

Hi

The problem started before Service Pack 1, which I haven't installed yet.
I have never gotten this fixed, it will not let me open the program no matter what I do.

I gave up on it and have been relying on Windows Backup.

One of these days I'll have another go at it.

But this seems to be one of those Windows 7 permissions things.

Mike

Hi Again.

For what it is worth I have it working now.
I did what I'm always telling other people to do and didn't do myself.

I installed Ghost again, only this time I didn't install it in the default location.
Instead I installed it on my second hard drive, D: and it installed and ran with no problems.

Many years ago I found that this often fixes problems with software that you are reinstalling since it tricks Windows into seeing it as a new installation and doesn't pick up information from a previous installation that may be causing problems.

I don't know why I didn't do this before except for the fact that I convinced myself that this was a permissions problem and not an install problem.

Anyway it's up and running and I will make a backup when I get done cleaning up my hard drive.

Mike

Last edited:
Back