Windows 7 CCC: Host application has stopped working.

Elmer

Extraordinary Member
Bit of a noob to graphics cards so bear with me!

I get the error "CCC: Host application has stopped working." not long after booting. This is with the latest set-up, just installed.

CCC.png

With the original CCC that came on the cards CD (forgot what version) I don't have an issue, but that one plants itself in C:\Program Files (x86) whereas the new one goes in C:\Program Files. So I did run DriverSweeper in SafeMode to clear up before installing.

The weirdest bit is though, after telling me it's stopped working and suggesting to close the program, when I re-start it asks before shutting down the PC if I want to save the changes to the settings I've made! What settings? Does the same even through the start menu shortcut.

What to do? Just revert to the CCC that came with card? Or is there a fix? Every other "fix" I've seen says to download the latest (I have).

You could reinstall dotnet 4 should solve the issue. If it doesn't though just uninstall ccc leaving the drivers. Then install dotnet4 and then reinstall the current ccc. Not seen this error with my setup, make sure you also have the latest vc+ 2010 installed.

The trouble is Elmer using the same old driver means you'll miss out on future fixes and upgrades ect..

Ok things to check..

Event viewer. You might get some clue as to what's causing the issue.

When installing ATI software, ATI recommends that any anti-virus/malware that monitors the pc in real time be turned off.

See the screenshot for an example:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Try rightclicking driver and installing (run as admin).

If you do find anything via the event viewer please post..

Managed to get this just before it "crashed" I've only one GPU installed so this confused me.

Untitled.png

These are my "standards" in event viewer:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Now, I thought I'd be clever and empty EventViewer to see if a new one I'd got popped up. It didn't and I didn't make a note of it!

Something along the lines of ASP.NET didn't start(?) IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this system. I have just put in the full version of dotnet four. Didn't know if it could be related.

I never installed with AV (or Mbam) off. I'll try that if the above means nothing.
I don't get run as Admin as UAC is off (naughty boy!!)
And Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
The two adapters are just actually the one. The card has more than one display head.

BTW DCOM has nothing to do with graphic issues. It is a distributed computer object model (for networked app sharing, etc)

DCOM could stop CCC from starting though as it's needed for dotnet apps. I'd check to see if the DCOM service is set to auto and why it's not starting.

DCOM Set correctly (now!) Still same issue.

I wouldn't be that bothered but as Kemical points out, I could be missing out!!

Right. The DCOM is fixed (I think) as it's always been there, and now its not!! Last events (Warnings and Errors) from two boots the format is time ID then description.

00;48;11 4879 WARNING MSDTC** encountered an error (HR=0x80000171) while attempting to establish a secure connection with system FEELGOOD-INC.
**Found a link to re-set/start this.

00;48;47 6 ERROR Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

00;49;00 11 WARNING Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Next Boot (timed this one, ish)

00;53;16 6 ERROR Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

00;53;30 11 WARNING Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

00;54;40 Approx Got the error that CCC had stopped working. Strangely enough the only entries in Event Viewer between 00;54;00 and 00;55;00 in Windows Logs and Applications and Services Log are information ones in the ACEEvent log. Everything else has avoided that crucial minute!

AMD External Events Service is disabled (Cheers Richard!!)

Last edited:
LATEST!!

ATI drivers (11.6b) 27/06/2011 8.871.0.0 are installed CCC 11.6 crashed, twice. AMD Externals Service disabled

Tried CCC 11.3 but that crashed. dropped back 3 months to CCC 10.12 and that's running, even with the AMD Externals Service running.
Now, do I go forward two months, or stay on 10.12? Ooooh, the devilry of it is killing me! :lsd:
Seems like it's something with CCC since the "interface" was updated. I could be wrong there though as I've never seen it newer than 10.12!
Three of these occur in EventViewer. Timings roughly match the three CCC's that crashed. In other words I wasn't noting the times down!

Capture.PNG

It's just the CCC I'm playing with, not any of the drivers.

Just another thought. Would the GPU BIOS affect this?
Current BIOS Version 012.020.000.032.

Last edited:
Hmm... only if you've been a messin with it.. Usually a cards bios is fine although it's not unheard of. Best way to test? Stick it in a friends machine.
What about your system bios? I note that your report about the event viewer contains material relating to updating firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the culprit, whatever it is.... :)
Is your sys bios updated?

Your system and ati drivers are really confusing me. I've been using ATI cards since just before they started doing the Catalyst drivers. I've never had any problems with CCC. Can you back your system up and try a clean install of windows? I must admit I skipped the 11,6 drivers and went straight to the 11.7 beta drivers.

11.7 Preview Driver - Link Removed due to 404 Error

Elmer give these a go and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Hmm... only if you've been a messin with it.. Usually a cards bios is fine although it's not unheard of. Best way to test? Stick it in a friends machine.
What about your system bios? I note that your report about the event viewer contains material relating to updating firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the culprit, whatever it is.... :)

Elmers bios is up to date talked him through fllashing that the other day. The Vid cards firmware will have nothing to do with CCC erroring. This is a strange problem which is related to the video card but not actually a gfx problem. I'd personally do a reinstall of windows, which is a pita but worth it in the long run if it fixes these issues.

NMSUK answered that for me! It is now! Twas a bit of a nerve bender as the PC went straight to start up repair after updating BIOS and restarting it, but was there for less than a minute! Phew!! Now at v2.0 from v1.80

No I haven't touched the cards BIOS. If it aint broke..... Well, usually. No, sometimes. Nah! Rarely!! :D :D :D

@NMSUK (another insomniac!!). Do you reckon a repair install would do things, with no catalyst in the machines, and then re-install the catalyst? Otherwise I'd rather wait for the 1st anniversary of last install for a complete re-install. About 6 weeks.

Last edited:
If your bios is updated then my next suggestion would be a clean (custom) install. Test your machine with the addition of each new driver and app until the culprit is found...or not.
To be honest though until you can track down the firmware failure then this problem might well appear again.

A repair install could indeed work. Uninstall the drivers with catalyst install manager but don't use driver sweeper. Reboot and do the repair. Wost that could happen is you'll be back but with the same problem. I'm trying to replicate your problem on my spare partition but just don't get it whatever I do.

When you do install windows do you do windows updates before putting your drivers on? Just wondering as when installing I do it in this order, which has always worked for me.

1. Install Windows
2. Windows updates
3. Chipset Drivers
4. Video Drivers
5. Sound Drivers
6. Everything else

I've also stopped tweaking services since windows 7 as IMHO it just doesn't need it.

I think the drivers go last. In fact I know. All Security updates, then "essential" updates like netframe & C++. Then drivers. Then security, Then Photoshop. Then a free for all.

I think I'll leave the services from now on. For the very few I now disable, and the difference in the capabilities of old and new systems, it'll be making not one iota of difference.

But Thanks so far for the help Guys. If nothing else I've amassed a splendid collection of Restore Points during the last 15 hours! :D

Damn! Horrid thought. I've got SP1 and can't repair install now until I go down town Saturday and buy some DVD-RW's to burn the ISO.

Last edited:
Just an update.

Did a clean re-install yesterday/today and the "latest" Control Centre is working fine.

Now I have to get used to the new UI! :)

Back