Windows 7 Certain programs won't connect to the internet

Hello all,

I am currently having an issue where several programs won’t connect to the internet while others will and I can’t seem to track down the problem. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 6.1.7601. I have ensured that proxy servers are disabled, my firewall has been configured to permit said programs through, tried connecting with all firewalls and anti-malware/virus programs disabled, flushed the DNS cache, reset the IP configuration, reset internet explorer settings, run several malware/anti-virus programs (I also can’t update malware/anti-virus programs), have run Wise registry cleaner, and have tried restoring to an earlier system configuration from before the problem started occurring. I’ve tried to run SmitfraudFix which just gets an “access denied” error over and over before it quits and I have to restart explorer.exe from the task manager. I’m all out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The following programs are having issues that I’m aware of:

Flash Update

Team Viewer 11 (not ready check connection)

Internet Explorer (both regularly run and with no add-ons)

Steam Updater / Server connection

AVG Free Updater

Malwarebytes Updater

SmitfraudFix

Programs that I know can connect:

Firefox

Hello all,

I am currently having an issue where several programs won’t connect to the internet while others will and I can’t seem to track down the problem. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 6.1.7601. I have ensured that proxy servers are disabled, my firewall has been configured to permit said programs through, tried connecting with all firewalls and anti-malware/virus programs disabled, flushed the DNS cache, reset the IP configuration, reset internet explorer settings, run several malware/anti-virus programs (I also can’t update malware/anti-virus programs), have run Wise registry cleaner, and have tried restoring to an earlier system configuration from before the problem started occurring. I’ve tried to run SmitfraudFix which just gets an “access denied” error over and over before it quits and I have to restart explorer.exe from the task manager. I’m all out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The following programs are having issues that I’m aware of:

Flash Update

Team Viewer 11 (not ready check connection)

Internet Explorer (both regularly run and with no add-ons)

Steam Updater / Server connection

AVG Free Updater

Malwarebytes Updater

SmitfraudFix

Programs that I know can connect:

Firefox
? what do you mean both (Internet Explorer (both regularly run and with no add-ons)
and the second thing, i want to ask are you on wifi or cad5 cable conected to the internet,
and thirdly, when you go to the controll pannel show the list the has small icon, do you see a flash player icon and if you do open it up and go to the player settings, then to advanced and click on apdate automatic then below, there is the versions, how many versions do you see and lets start from that

Internet Explorer will not connect when it is run with or without add-ons.

I am directly connected using a CAT5 cable.

I am in the advanced settings for the Flash Player but do not see an Update Automatic button. The only options are "Delete All" which is under the Browsing Data and Settings section, "Trusted Location Settings" under the Developer Tools section, and "Deauthorize This Computer."

Hi! What malware programs have you run? What malware programs won't up date? Are you saying malwarebytes won't up date?
It sounds to me like your PC is infected.
See if you can run Adwcleaner!
AdwCleaner

I've tried to update and run Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. Pretty much anything that I try to update won't update. I was figuring that it was an infection too but can't track down the culprit. I'll try Adwcleaner.

Hi We do not have any professional malware fighters here. I will try to help you, but you may need to go to a forum that has trained people.
It's not a good sign if malwarebytes won't up date and run. Here's safe site for down load!
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1

im showing you in windows 10 but in windows 7 was the way i sayd but look in the update tab

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 370
  • 2.png
    2.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 3.png
    3.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 317
Try right clicking on Malwarebytes and run as administrator see if that works
and by the way if you have the Pro trial the update won't work if it's expired
and if that doesn't work unistall Malwarebyte and then turn off the computer
when it restarts reinstall malwarebite again

Last edited:
Are you certified?? I'm not! We can work together on this. You have some good suggestions. I'm sure with 25 years of experience you have heard of Chameleon. I'm sure you are aware that some times MBAM has to be run in safe mode.
This should only be used if Malwarebytes won't run. Lets wait to hear back from the OP;) The link with MBAM that I attached is the free version and I suggest running in safe mode if it won't run or up date!
Chameleon - Free Malware Removal Tool

i I believe that he stated that I won't update not that it will not run apparently it runs fine it just wont update
there are many things that I can say regarding that it will download updates like example renaming the software distribution folder to old like stop wuauserv and then start the wuauserv which will re-create software and distribution folder new and there will be no reason for the updates not to work for his computer to be the culprit and must depend on something else but yeah sure always work with you
holdum33 it's always a pleasure

If MBAM won't update definitions, We have a problem. I don't wish to argue with you about what the OP can or can not do.
I think we need to wait to hear back from @SirLurchington and take this one step at a time.;):up:

Okay, so I've run adwcleaner and am currently running malwarebytes as admin in safe mode with networking. Should I be using safe mode without networking? I am in fact able to run malwarebytes just not update. It says that the last definition data base update is from 5/16/16. @Sandbox I found what you were talking about with the Flash Player and did as you suggested. I'll let you guys know the outcome as soon as the malwarebytes scan is complete.

You're doing great! Safe mode with networking is fine. Did Adwcleaner find any thing. It's good that MBAM will run. You might want to uninstall the old version of MBAM and install the free version that I attached in my above reply.;)
Keep us posted. I will try to hang in here with you for awhile!:up:

Adwcleaner deleted one folder, one file, and seven keys from the registry. I just installed this copy of Malwarebytes a couple days ago but I can give it another go if you suggest that I should. Thanks; I really appreciate your help!

i will post some update regarding malwarebyte
We’re happy to announce that our latest MBAM patch release, MBAM 2.2.1.1043, was released today
Context Menu scanning option is now enabled by default. Note if you had this option disabled previously and want to retain that setting, you must disable again manually this one time only. Future updates will retain the setting properly
Improved End of Trial experience so it is clear that trial has expired and real-time protection is no longer available
im talking live to malwarebyte latest news lol
i know a bit aboute malwarebyte lol

Does MBAM find any problems? I'm not understanding why it won't up date?? I have several more scanners we can run.
Has any thing changed with your issues?? Yes see if my down load will work and if MBAM will up date and scan!
Let me know;) again what issues you are having after MBAM finishes scanning and if it found any thing!

Back