Windows 10 Display Resolutions lost

sargan

Extraordinary Member
Have a GTX 560TI gpu, running W10 and for display a Samsung S23C650 monitor
normally set to 1970 x 1080

Today a driver update program was run (Drive Booster 4) to check for driver update, and now I have only 1024 x 768 as max resolution - assume the driver update program did this. (though 'could' be coincidence)

If I go to Start > settings> control panel > display it only shows 1024 x 768 (or lower)
If I go to Nvidia control panel it also only shows 1024 x 768 and lower

The adapter states driver is 21.21.13.7290
Monitor is shown as Generic plug & play - there is no W10 driver on Samsung site

I tried system restore to before Driver update run - this has not cleared the fault.

Any help appreciated.

nice to see you again, sargan … hope the weekend finds you well.

a'ight … i noted you created membership to the forums at iobit.com … which is a good thing. it helps others realize to think twice about "driver-updating" software. our venerated kemical asserted quite simply … "I never ever use an app to go find drivers as that is simply inviting trouble".

moving forward … going into iobit.com's faq (product faq's) … selecting "driver-booster" in sub-menu at left … manifests this quote:
How to fix the sound, network, resolution problems or other unexpected things that happen after updating drivers?
  1. Please load Driver Booster -> Click the Toolkit icon on the top -> Select the tool Fix No Sound Error, Fix Network Failure, or Fix Bad Resolution to fix the sound, network or resolution problems.
  2. If the tools fail to fix the problems, or when you encounter other problems, such as BSOD, USB devices, printer, or camera no longer working, and PC unable to start normally, please send us the information as below so we can provide a solution:
  3. Click here to download our tool -> Double click to run it on the problem PC -> Click “Save report to Desktop” -> find db_info_xxxx.zip on your desktop >> send the zip file to [email protected]
  4. We will analyze the file and reply to you shortly.
pursuant to their suggestion … i propose you contact them directly, sargan. hopefully the devs at iobit.com can resolve your specific issue. and, once they do, consider uninstalling the drive-booster-4 software.

and, in contacting them … iterate at least as much as you have in our discussion here with this post.

ref:

The monitors will generally show up as generic unless you go to the monitor manufacturer site and download a driver for it. This isn't really required. I would look at the driver version on the 'Display Adapter' make note of the version number. Now open an elevated command prompt and type pnputil -e Look through the list and you should have multiple entries with a class of 'Display Adapter' one should be the most current driver that you saw in Device Manager. Make sure there are more than one 'Display Adapter' entries. If there are type pnputil -d oem##.inf /force the oem##.inf being the one noted for the driver in use. Reboot and your computer should automatically use the latest driver still installed.

Thanks for explanation on system restore - I thought it did drivers - especially as it showed a restore point for the 'Driver Boost start'

An update on this issue -

Rolled back driver - no change

Tried to find correct driver on Nvidia site but it keeps failing as it wants Java installed and none of the W10 browser will work - even though I run Java installer - get same request to install Java.

Used W10 'find driver' - it updated - no change

Samsung do not list a W10 driver for the monitor on their site - W10 'find driver' can't find one.

Left PC overnight and today booted up and all back to normal
The NVidia control panel shows resolution back to 1920 x 1080 and all the other resolutions in place ... it also shows monitor now as Samsung S23C650 rather than generic plug & play.

Strange how it has sorted itself out.

Your entire problem stems from the use of the program Drive Booster 4; we don't recommend use of ANY programs to solve Driver issues on W10 or earlier version of Windows!! :question: Further, it's been well-documented that IOBIT, the maker of Drive Booster 4, has lots and lots of spyware associated with every single downloaded program you get from them. Their software purports to fix your PC for free, when the reason it's free is that IOBIT gives you infected software for free which compromises the security and integrity of your PC! **DO NOT USE THEIR PROGRAMS! PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION!**

I have colleagues who swear by the program called TOTAL SYSTEM CARE, which is supposed to do an automatic tune-up of your PC for free and keep it running smoothly. They say it does this job really well. My issue is that even if it does this, experts have tested it and found that it has a "phone home" feature that uploads proprietary data to the IOBIT website (**without Your Permission)which they then sell to Identity thieves who want to steal your personal information and take out Credit Cards in your name, and empty out any and all online banking accounts you have!:eek: This is not my idea of a safe program whatsoever!! :pirate: Hey, it's your computer, do what you want but whenever I see any program from this place--I REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY AND RUN EVERY VIRUS REMOVAL TOOL I HAVE OR COMPLETELY RESET THE PC TO FACTORY STATE!

Worth thinking about.:andwhat:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

The reason I run this .. was it became a free item on Give-Away-of-the-Day and all the reviews were positive.

I even did a Google around first and the review sites were positive.

However - learnt my lesson and will not use again.

" Left PC overnight and today booted up and all back to normal. The NVidia control panel shows resolution back to 1920 x 1080 and all the other resolutions in place ... it also shows monitor now as Samsung S23C650 rather than generic plug & play. "

a happy ending to a tumultuous beginning … good to hear it all sorted out, sagan … and, am guessing at this … your first post meant to state 1920x1080 rather than 1970x1080 … correct?

back when i upgraded my win-8.0 to win-8.1 … the subsequent upgrade to win-10 caused my monitor (also font rendering) to go haywire like yours. however … in the course of three or four automatic windows-updates … Intel® PROset (or microsoft) finally played fair-ball by adjusting my settings back to 1920x1080. still shows as generic-pnp(plug-n-play) … however, neemobeer calmed my speculation with his earlier post above. similarly, power-saver options also screwed up back then … ended up i adjusted those manually (battery concerns).

sagan … you might wish to do in-depth av scan of your system … throw in a couple ransomware/ rootkit sniffers as well. in this way, you can give your pc a clean bill of health. however … make sure you get the sentries directly from the creators … even then, have virustotal.com check if the links are clean.

thanks for letting us know how it turned out, sagan … viva.

I have run Kaspersky scan - all fine and run MalwareBytes - it found some 'pup.optional' files - mainly registry files, dlls to remove and now clean.
They were all associated with genuine programs so think they were no real issue.

Anything else I should consider ?

Also, I suggest you dump Kaspersky!!:down: The worst infected computers I see in my repair shop are computers with Kaspersky and ESET Nod32. :waah:
Malwarebytes is really good; I use that on every single computer I install or repair. Don't believe the reviews on these 2!! Top reviews in both US and Europe (Germany) give both these products very high ratings. However, every time I see them I REMOVE them immediately and replace with one of my tried and true AV programs. For me, that's Norton, Avast, McAfee, and TrendMicro.

You now know 2 insider tips that are not being distributed around the Internet--Google won't help you here. Anything made by IOBIT contains spyware viruses, and neither Kaspersky nor ESET stops the worst Ransomware spyware viruses I've seen in 37 years! Interestingly, Kaspersky pays huge sums of money to bundle their AV with Toshiba laptops the last few years--and it's complete junk!:shocked: I've had to replace it, even though they give the Toshiba customer 1 year free--what good is it if you get a Ransomware virus and it costs you from $250-$6,000 US to fix it or pay the hackers their Ransom???:eek:

Hope that helps. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Keep up the good work!:peace:
<<<BBJ>>>

Today a driver update program was run (Drive Booster 4) to check for driver update, and now I have only 1024 x 768 as max resolution - assume the driver update program did this. (though 'could' be coincidence)
Also never ever use applications such as the above. Chances are (as you've found out) that it will get incorrect data and bork the machine. Your far better off sourcing your drivers yourself and don't forget to include the driver link in your favourites. You can usually find most of the drivers needed from the motherboard support page and should be your first port of call.

Also, I suggest you dump Kaspersky!!:down: The worst infected computers I see in my repair shop are computers with Kaspersky and ESET Nod32. :waah:
Malwarebytes is really good; I use that on every single computer I install or repair. Don't believe the reviews on these 2!! Top reviews in both US and Europe (Germany) give both these products very high ratings. However, every time I see them I REMOVE them immediately and replace with one of my tried and true AV programs. For me, that's Norton, Avast, McAfee, and TrendMicro.

You now know 2 insider tips that are not being distributed around the Internet--Google won't help you here. Anything made by IOBIT contains spyware viruses, and neither Kaspersky nor ESET stops the worst Ransomware spyware viruses I've seen in 37 years! Interestingly, Kaspersky pays huge sums of money to bundle their AV with Toshiba laptops the last few years--and it's complete junk!:shocked: I've had to replace it, even though they give the Toshiba customer 1 year free--what good is it if you get a Ransomware virus and it costs you from $250-$6,000 US to fix it or pay the hackers their Ransom???:eek:

Hope that helps. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Keep up the good work!:peace:
<<<BBJ>>>
Any good AV will not block all Randomware. I have Kaspersky running with no issues. I just use Kasperkey along with Cybereason RandomFree.

Sent from my Mix using Tapatalk

No, Ransonware is a bad virus. Cybereason has a free program called RansomFree which is blocks ransonware.

Sent from my Mix using Tapatalk

Hi

It sounds to me like your driver update failed.
This happened to my friend just last week with the same results.

Just do as mnsuk said and redo the driver install.
Get the drivers directly from the Nvidia site, it will even scan your computer to make sure the driver is correct for your card.

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

But the driver package is pretty much the same for all of their cards.

I updated last week and I'm running a GTX 680 and the driver version is 378.49 which came out a few weeks ago.

Mike

Back