Windows 7 Frequent BSOD and crashes

fishfishfish

I've had several crashes and BSODs, especially today. Previously, sometimes I would get a freeze or crash while playing a certain game like Skyrim(which I've never been able to prevent it from freezing and crashing mid game.) But today it began getting crashes with games and other applications that never crashed like La Noire. Then it froze several times when running a memory diagnostic. Then it crashed over and over again while trying to restart in safe mode or recovering. It would take several power ons/offs before I saw anything on the screen or got past bios and made it to my main desktop where it would crash randomly within 5 10 or 30 mins.Then it began trying to update bios but crashed during it. Then it crashed when I was looking up how to post on this thread and clicked on an image link. Then it stayed black with no images or bios for many attempted power ons and I left my pc alone for a while. I've just been able to restart it and run sf diag tool, cpuz, and rammon.

I wasn't able to write all the blue screen error codes but two of them were Fatal Sys Error and system service exception. I don't know if the problem is drivers, memory, the motherboard, the video card or something else. When I ran device manager it said all my drivers were up to date but it always froze when running memory diagnostic 1 of 2 around the 50% mark (25% total) I'll try to post more after I submit my sevenfolder zip.

Thanks

View attachment Seven Forums.zip

A crash while updating the BIOS is usually fatal! You're lucky to be able to boot into Windows at this point!

I'm concerned about your inability to run the memory test. Please run this free memory diagnostic and see what happens: Link Removed - Invalid URL

You can also try Prime95 (it stresses the memory) - and it works inside of Windows. There's a link to it here: Additional Hardware Diagnostics Try running all 3 tests in Prime95 (Blend, Small FFT's and Large FFT's) How fast each one gets errors (or doesn't) will give us some clues as to where the problem may lie (CPU, Memory controller, or RAM in most cases).

Memory settings one each stick of RAM is different (in some reports). Please go into the BIOS and reset it to default values - then post another set of the Seven Forums.zip reports.

If there isn't any hardware damage, then the following stuff may help:

You have a Linksys AE2500 wireless USB device. Win7 doesn't like these devices. Here's my rant on the subject:
I do not recommend using wireless USB devices. Especially in Win7 systems.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 - and using Vista drivers with them is almost sure to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have Win7 drivers - DO NOT use Vista drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.
Your drivers are more recent, but we've still seen problems with these devices in Win7. Please test without the device to see if that helps to isolate the problem.

You have a problem device that appears leftover from AMD Overdrive. Please do the following:
AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Win7 systems.
Please un install all AMD/ATI video stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Un install a program
Then, download (but DO NOT install) a fresh copy of the ATI drivers from Link Removed - Invalid URL (in the upper right corner of the page)
Use this procedure to install the DRIVER ONLY: ATI video cards - DRIVER ONLY installation procedure

If the device (AODDriver or AODDriver4.01) remains a problem, open Device Manager, select the "View" item.
Then select "Show hidden devices" and scroll down to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section.
Locate the AODDriver entry, right click on it and select "Un install". Reboot for changes to take affect.
Sometimes the driver remains and continues to cause BSOD's. If this is the case for you, post back and we'll give further instructions for safely removing it.

If overclocking, please stop. Remove the overclock and return the system to stock/standard values while we're troubleshooting. Once the system is stable again, feel free to resume the overclocking.

If the above steps don't stop the BSOD's, please zip up and upload any new memory dumps with your next post - and we'll see what we can figure out from there.

The following info is just FYI, I've already addressed the issues that I saw in the above paragraphs

- Further info on BSOD error messages available at: http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html
- Info on how to troubleshoot BSOD's (DRAFT): http://www.carrona.org/userbsod.html
- How I do it: http://www.carrona.org/howidoit.html

3RD PARTY DRIVERS PRESENT IN THE DUMP FILES

Code:
[FONT=lucida console]
AE2500w764.sys                     Mon Mar 28 20:22:08 2011 (4D912630)
GEARAspiWDM.sys                    Mon May 18 08:17:04 2009 (4A1151C0)
Rt64win7.sys                       Thu Feb 26 04:04:13 2009 (49A65B0D)
WmBEnum.sys                        Tue Jan 13 21:56:45 2009 (496D546D)
WmXlCore.sys                       Tue Jan 13 21:56:37 2009 (496D5465)
amdxata.sys                        Fri Mar 19 12:18:18 2010 (4BA3A3CA)
nusb3hub.sys                       Thu Apr 22 21:34:35 2010 (4BD0F92B)
nusb3xhc.sys                       Thu Apr 22 21:34:36 2010 (4BD0F92C)
[/FONT]

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AE2500w764.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=GEARAspiWDM.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Rt64win7.sys
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Link Removed - Invalid URL
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=amdxata.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nusb3hub.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nusb3xhc.sys

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY

Code:
[FONT=lucida console]
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\081212-15834-01.dmp]
Built by: 7601.17835.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030
Debug session time: Sun Aug 12 16:29:02.484 2012 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:03:24.577
BugCheck DE, {2, fffff8a00ba9e2e8, fffff8a00ba9f2e9, 1a5b778c0}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!PoIdle+52a )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xDE
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xDE_nt!PoIdle+52a
Bugcheck code 000000dE
Arguments 00000000`00000002 fffff8a0`0ba9e2e8 fffff8a0`0ba9f2e9 00000001`a5b778c0
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\081212-34382-01.dmp]
Built by: 7601.17835.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030
Debug session time: Sun Aug 12 16:23:53.353 2012 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:29:40.228
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80001ebc617, fffff88008d0d140, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!NtFreeVirtualMemory+287 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B
PROCESS_NAME:  firefox.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_nt!NtFreeVirtualMemory+287
Bugcheck code 0000003B
Arguments 00000000`c0000005 fffff800`01ebc617 fffff880`08d0d140 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = F4
BiosReleaseDate = 08/26/2010
SystemManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = GA-770T-USB3
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Before I made this post, when my computer was not able to start or load properly, I had opened the case and checked to make sure all the wires and components were attached, as well as clearing some dust out and making sure wires weren't touching any of the boards. I checked that the ram sticks were all pushed in fully and one moved very very slightly. This may have been the problem. I was able to start up the computer normally. The only thing that wasn't working, funnily enough, was the wireless usb adapter. I ran memtest86+ from a usb boot for 2 and a half hours, it completed 1 pass, nearly 2 with no problem. (I had read about it on another website but didn't know I should run it for 6 hours plus) I shut down my computer last night and restarted it normally this morning. Then I read your reply.

From your response, so far I have cleared and updated the ati driver and reset bios (load optimized defaults) and restarted the computer with no issues. I now plan on running memtest86 for at least 6 hours and then the various prime95 tests and sending you the results.

A couple questions.

I have unplugged the wireless usb. Is there anything installed like drivers that I need to un-install? If so, how?

Do I need a particular wireless pci card? What do I need to check to know it will be compatible with my system and motherboard? Do you have any recommendations? Are they difficult to install? (I've never installed any hardware before) An inexpensive one that I could find at a local store like best buy would be great so I could install it today, but I'm fine with ordering one from newegg etc if you have a particular recommendation.

After I've completed everything and the problem is solved, is there any software or hardware you recommend to optimize my system?

I primarily use this computer to play games and watch videos online. Some games have crashed (never to bsod, just to desktop or frozen so I have to restart) in the past and I often have adobe flash crash when watching online videos. When I look at the task manager, I often see in that mozilla firefox and adobe are running quite a lot of memory in the processes tab. Any recommendations to prevent these from happening?

Sorry if any of the questions I asked are in other threads. Thank you so much for your help and I'll get back to you after I run the memory tests.

There is software that was installed when the wireless USB device was first used. That's the software that needs to be un-installed.
As this is a Linksys device, look for Linksys software in Control Panel...Programs...Un-install a program
If you don't find it there, then try in Device Manager (but you'll have to enable the viewing of Hidden Devices since the device has been removed from your system). When you find it, right click on it and select "Un-install". If it asks to remove the driver software, select the checkbox in order to remove it.

I've only used a couple wireless PCI cards and all were purchased from BestBuy. But you can get them from any electronics retailer - either in a store or online. I prefer the name brands (Netgear, Linksys, DLink, Belkin, etc).
MOST IMPORTANTLY - Make sure that your system has the right kind of slot (PCI or PCIe) for the type of card that you purchase. I last purchased a card of this type a couple of years ago, so I'm not familiar with what's being offered now.

I've spent a lot of time tweaking systems and optimizing my systems - and have found that (IMO) it's just not worth the effort.
I do 2 things:
- I purchase the hardware that I need to do the work that I do.
- I back-up everything constantly

Then, if I need optimizing - I wipe my hard drive and start over clean!
There's nothing like the smell of a clean install of Windows in the morning! :0)

For your internet issues, update:
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Shockwave
- Adobe Air
- Sun Java
- Microsoft Silverlight

For Firefox, back-up your favorites (and your passwords if you have a lot).
Then delete the current copy and install a clean copy that you've just downloaded

These will take care of some crashes - but we need to figure out the specific causes if we want to fix them for sure.
That requires reports and diagnostics - so let us know if you want to start on that.

Last edited:
No new memory dumps, so we'll wait to see if you get any more crashes. Please continue the testing while waiting to see if it crashes.

Back