Windows 8 Help With Registry!

Ninjacatman2009

Hi

Im just going to jump right in.

so i was editing the registry to try to fix all of my downloads going to my ssd instead of my hdd and now to cant download anything because it says path not specified and i cannot open certain programs (even the registry itself!) I cannot find anything on how to fix it!

PLEASE i need urgent help

thanks

1. The registry is dangerous place to play around in and has nothing to do with changing where windows puts your downloads… if you really must then always make a backup before changing anything.
reg.png

2. If it is the registry you edited then the bad news is that there is no simple fix without a backup… have you got any backup image software to work with, even a basic windows system restore point?

I'd be happy to talk you thought it but first we need to know what you actually are using i.e. windows 8 (64bit) on a such and such laptop... which backup software you have etc.

Playing around in the registry without a registry backup or system image often ends poorly. Did you try system restore yet?
Joe

Can you tell us what you did in the registry?

Have you rebooted after making the change.. If you have not, there may be a way to use the Last Known Good recovery option to replace the registry with a good copy. I just can remember right now if or how you get there is Windows 8.

I suspect you went here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

If so,and you are in dire straits - no backup,etc, there are a couple of desperate measures you could try.
First, open "programs and features" in the Control Panel. Up on the left, click "Turn Windows Features on or off"
Scroll down and untick IE(x -Whatever version you have) Ok it and wait until the action is complete.Reboot and, if the OS does not start the sequence automatically, repeat the above procedure and tick the IE item. Ok again and reboot. See if this has sorted the problem.

If not, here is a reg file which will return IE registry to its original settings.First export your registry to a known location, so that you can recover it back to the original. Open the attached .zip and click the unzipped file, agree to the warnings. No guarantees, so at you risk. But if your OS has developed serious faults, then maybe worth a try.
Note. This is only going to have any effect, if it was the entry above that you tampered with.

Attachments

• iIEdown.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,831
Last edited:
thanks for all the quick answers i am on a windows 8 computer and running 64bit i went into hkeylocalmachine and thats all i remember sorry. i will try what you guys suggested real quick

To be blunt; at this point you are looking at a re-install of windows… reserve any important files first and consider it a lesson learnt i.e. always have a back-up plan!

As long as the machine is booting......
If you have the installation media (a condition which seems to be getting more and more rare), then you can attempt an inplace upgrade repair. I've done it once on Windows 8 and it worked pretty much the same way it has since Vista.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
Takes a while but it might be worth a try.

Generally speaking..... an inplace upgrade repair is non-destructive. So the short answer is no.
BUT.... I make no guarantees!

Will the the Windows 7 SP1 disk work with so many Windows updates? In XP if your disk wasn't close to what you had installed the Repair Install would fault. That's how I got into slipstreaming.
Joe

Will the the Windows 7 SP1 disk work with so many Windows updates? In XP if your disk wasn't close to what you had installed the Repair Install would fault. That's how I got into slipstreaming.
Joe
Since this was posted in the windows 8 sub forum, I thought that the topic involved Windows 8...
Of course the install media you use for an inplace upgrade repair should be equal to or better than the version you have installed.

My fault I was thinking of another thread involving Windows 7 and repairing that. Still it would be interesting to know how far out of date the install disk can be from Windows 7 and 8 from Windows Update and still work for the in place upgrade. In XP you had to be within a couple of months to succeed.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom