Windows 10 HELP WITH SELECTION BOX

RUDY03

When I first installed windows 10, was just trying to fiddle with it, and you know....tried editing the registry in order to change the selection box colours. By selection box I mean, that box which appears when you pull your mouse towards a particular direction while pressing the left click. I got it messed up, and got stuff right by seeing the registry entries of a windows 7 pc. Now, my problem is, that the selection box on my desktop is like that of a windows xp...like with dots and dots, whereas the selection boxes inside other windows are fine...
Any solution??? Although, everything is absolutely fine with my other account which I never use...and the messed account is the Admin. Please help!!!
error 1.png
error 2.png

Well seeing as we don't and you don't know which keys you messed up and I'm assuming you didn't make a backup of the registry, you may be SOL. If you did this in HKCU then your best bet would be to create a new user and move your data over.

Well seeing as we don't and you don't know which keys you messed up and I'm assuming you didn't make a backup of the registry, you may be SOL. If you did this in HKCU then your best bet would be to create a new user and move your data over.
Uh...I do know which keys I messed up!!!
It was:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
in the registry editor

Then I edited:
1) HotTrackingColor
2) Hilight
I just chose a random value. But, then, I also corrected everything as it was ( Win 7)!!! But, as it seems, the desktop selection doesn't work....

Last edited:
I think create a new user, see how these keys are and copy the values to your current account

Hi

Do you use CCleaner?
Everytime I run CCleaner to make a scan of my registry it makes a backup copy of it.

It also has a utility to restore it, if you have done that before the changes you could probably just restore it back to the way it was then.

Mike

Hi

Do you use CCleaner?
Everytime I run CCleaner to make a scan of my registry it makes a backup copy of it.

It also has a utility to restore it, if you have done that before the changes you could probably just restore it back to the way it was then.

Mike
I do, when required, but never bothered to back up that Registry, cause I never knew it had to come to this... :(

Again, if you make a new user for this PC and log in into the new account, do you see then a correct selection box?

If so, you may try copying those registry entries to your own account, or you may even think of moving to that new account.

Hope this helps!
Henk

Again, if you make a new user for this PC and log in into the new account, do you see then a correct selection box?

If so, you may try copying those registry entries to your own account, or you may even think of moving to that new account.

Hope this helps!
Henk

Thank you for helping, my friend, but there lies the problem....I matched the registry keys of all three operating systems, namely windows 7, windows 10 good account, and the messed up account. All the registry keys are the same. I t didn't use to be like this back in the time of Windows 8...so I am sure something else is up....And, TBH I am not really aware of the accounts and stuff, so weird dumb af questions, but:

i) how to create a new account?
ii) Do I get admin priviledges in that new account?
iii) will all my awesome games, my school projects, and everything that I digitally value remain in there?
iv) will I have complete access to that just like I do in my current Admin account?
v) will I be able to delete my messed up admin account after I'm successful in all that?

i) Go to All settings > Acounts: there you can add a new one
ii) You can add Admin rights to an account
iii) no, unless you copy them over from the previous account, or restore them from your backup
iv) yes
v) yes

Henk

i) Go to All settings > Acounts: there you can add a new one
ii) You can add Admin rights to an account
iii) no, unless you copy them over from the previous account, or restore them from your backup
iv) yes
v) yes

Henk
Thanks man, you've been helping me a lot....seems I got to shift over to a new account, but can you just tell me how to copy games and other documents over? I mean, I already have two accounts, one perfect, not Admin, and another Admin, but messed up. I can access all files on both accounts by default.
Thank You.

You can use the standard tools like backup and restore.
And with admin rights you can always use "Drag and Drop" from C:\users\(first user)\Documents\... to C:\users\(second user)\Documents\....

But I am not sure what will happen with your game results. They are hidden someware in C:\users\(user)\Appdata (a hidden directory)

Hi

First thing is to just go to the game directory and see if they will launch from the .exe file.
If they do create a link on the desktop.

I've found that I lot of games, especially online games will create the connections the first time they start.

For the ones that don't run, save all your save points and reinstall, then paste your saves back in.
The saves are usually saved in the Users folder under the account name someplace.

I used to have a Wow installation on DVDs that I just copied into any computer I wanted to run it on.
When I'd get a new PC I'd just copy the directory back in and it would run.

Some games have a repair function that will fix them as well.

Mike

Good news (and bad news) guys!
Good news first, it seems this update fixed my problem with the selection box automatically.

But, this same update seems to have messed up my Groove music. Earlier I could say, "Hey Cortana, play some music" and she'd start Groove music with songs playing automatically, but now if I do the same, she says, "Sorry, I can't seem to find any music locally or in your collection"

Also, in Groove music, earlier, I could hover over the taskbar icon while on another window, so that the preview comes up, and there's these 3 media buttons (play/pause, forward, backward). These worked. Now, most of the time they're faded. I can't use those buttons and have to open the whole music window to perform any actions like play, pause, next, previous, etc. Seems like a weird problem, but the buttons come up working again after 5-6 songs have played, or no. They may not come up at all, just stay faded.

And, my final new problem is: I got a new gaming keyboard. So, its got all these multimedia buttons, which of course work, but, since that update, the same play/pause, next, and previous buttons won't work. I know they aren't broken, because they work with other player, like VLC, and WMP. They also, work with Groove randomly but mostly they don't. When they do, they do after those mini buttons on the preview start working, as mentioned above.

Please help me out gentlemen.
Cheers!
Rudy

Last edited:
Hi

I'm getting the same thing.
She always says that she can't find any music.

Cortana has a long way to go.

I bought a Echo Dot from Amazon, for my wife for Christmas and it's amazing.

Just to try and trip her up I asked her to play "All around my hat, by Steeleye Span" and out it came, so far I haven't been able to defeat her.

From IZ to Dave Brubeck to the music from Hamilton I ask and out it comes.

She also sets timers, gives the weather, news tells time, and does pretty much anything I can think of and she does it reliably.
All for only $50, it's no wonder that they have sold zillions of them.

For what it's worth, I haven't found any way to fix Cortana, and I've asked here as well.
I'm afraid we'll just have to wait until Microsoft updates and fixes it again (I've had this problem before).

I think the only reason we don't see a lot more complaints is that not that many people actually use her.

Mike

I read somewhere recently, that Groove Music has gone bye-bye as with older music services such as Rhapsody. Cortana is replacing it with new versions of Windows Media Player in W10, which you have to by from Microsoft Apps Store. Alternatives are the echo player which Mike mentioned, or good ole iTunes. In either case, you'd probably have to convert your entire music library to whichever new player/service you choose. FYI.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

So, do you mean by the next few updates Groove Music will be removed? And, we will no more be able to use any music with voice control on default Windows 10?
And any solution about those small preview buttons and my keyboard's multimedia buttons which only seldom work with Groove Music?
I meant these preview buttons:
Groove tiny buttons.png

They were normally functioning at the time of this screenshot, but mostly they'll be faded, so you won't be able to click 'em.

Back