Windows 8.1 How To Set Video As Desktop Background In And Windows

Safal Piya

Hi guys It's me Safal Piya and in this Thread, I'm going to show you how to set video as the desktop background in any windows os.
So Let's get started :razz: :
Step 1: Download VLC Player From Here
Step 2: Once you have downloaded it Just Open it.
Step 3: Goto Tools -> preferences -> Video And set the output to Direct3D Video Output.
Step 4: Close the windows box.
Step 5: Goto Video And check the Set As Wallpaper.
Step 6: See the Desktop.
And you are Done!!!!!!! :shades_smile:
Try It :thumbs_up:
Note: If it doesn't work Then Download the latest Vlc Player. It will work :wink_smile:
And Don't forget to say a thanks :curious:
Bye :)

Last edited:
hi safal. I have done exactly what you said but when i close the vlc media player the livewall paper vanishes . Pls guide me. Thanks

Then what's the use of it?
No matter what program you use to display a video wallpaper, as soon as you close that program the video wallpaper stops. Since Windows on itself doesn't support video wallpapers you have to use a 3rd party program and VLC is as good or better than any other program. You can hide VLC from the taskbar and minimize it to the system tray so it just runs in the background.

VLC is as good or better than any other program.

This reply is way old but wanted to mention - this is not really true. VLC actually doesn't display as wallpaper at all, and I'm not sure why it's so touted that it does because wallpaper means you have access to your desktop icons on TOP of the picture in the BACKGROUND, neither of which happen with VLC. It just slaps its video over your desktop. It's more like a screensaver than anything else and all you'll have access to is your start bar.

This will do it, DeskScapes : Software from Stardock . It's not free, but it's also not expensive and is a one-time buy, and will allow you to run unlimited length videos including sound, ripped from Youtube at up to 4k resolution. The Youtube video format is natively .MKV and DeskScapes only plays .WMV and its own .DREAM video formats, but it seems that the only difference between .MKV and .WMV is the file extension since simply renaming the Youtube video file to .WMV works just fine. 4K Video Downloader review and where to download | TechRadar does a great job of grabbing the video files too.

Right now I'm running a downloaded copy of a 4k 1.5 hr looping beach scene, has sound if I want it, it's the best solution I've found so far. Too bad I can't find any reliable way to stream a live feed to my desktop, as ultimately that's what I want to do... but the very few options out there that claim they can do it simply don't work.

This piece of tool would also help you to set up a desktop background on Windows:

1. Download and install DesktopHut on your PC.
  2. Download Windows 10 Live Wallpaper.
  3. Launch DesktopHut.
  4. Click on the “Select Live Wallpaper” button. Navigate to the folder where you stored downloaded Live Wallpaper Windows 10 and choose it.
  5. Click on the Play button.

Back
Top Bottom