Windows 7 Icons on desktop hidden/disappeared?

Stigern

*** SOLVED ****

Yes. At some point yesterday all my icons where invisible when looking at the desktop. But when browsing trough it with explorer I can find back to them, or show all stuff at my desktop. But not without doing it trough explorer.

The right-click menu still works, and I can change desktop-wall and stuff. Also tried changing back to default theme, and removing My Computer and taking it back. But nothing seems to fix it :S Also tried several reboots, but still no icons show...

Anyone got some ideas?

EDIT: Picture:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

EDIT2:

Tried adding another user, and guess what, he got desktop icons! So there need to be something I have turned off etc.
Anyone got a idea what that can be?

Last edited:
Right click the desktop - personalize.
Over on the right, click "Change desktop items" You can then select whatever you wish to be seen.

Right click the desktop - personalize.
Over on the right, click "Change desktop items" You can then select whatever you wish to be seen.

Yeah, but it doesn't help, tried turned off all, and turned on all. Nothing changes.. :(

OK. Turn them on again and then try clicking the small blue square,(Show Destop) , far over on the right side of the Tasbar.

OK. Turn them on again and then try clicking the small blue square,(Show Destop) , far over on the right side of the Tasbar.

No luck :(

This is really a pain :p But eh, might just create a new user-account instead :p

EDIT:

A breaktrough :p It was a user error!
Somehow I had un-checked the Right-Click->View->Show Desktop Icons

Last edited:

This is really a pain :p But eh, might just create a new user-account instead :p

EDIT:

I panicked this afternoon as my Desktop Icons had vanished too even a reboot failed to bring them, I didn't fiddle with the right click menu before they disappeared either, but I found Stigern;5822's fix (red text) via Google and it solved my dilemma too.

EDIT:

me, too..i really panicked that all my icons were gone. i already run windows recovery, safe mode and all those stuff in system tools..i really did that careless mistake..any way thank you to this post my problem was solve after visiting the forum..

Desktop Icons lost

Great stuff, Stigern. I had the same problem and fixed it as you said.

Thanks

Somehow I had un-checked the Right-Click->View->Show Desktop Icons[/QUOTE]

Dektop Icons disappeared

me, too..i really panicked that all my icons were gone. i already run windows recovery, safe mode and all those stuff in system tools..i really did that careless mistake..any way thank you to this post my problem was solve after visiting the forum..

same problem resolved instantly.
Thanks guys

Nikoloz

Another way to lose desktop icons is when they appear on a second monitor that you are still configuring. Check this out by going to Control Panel, Display, Screen resolution. Or go to the control panel window for your display card.

Back