Windows 8 If the Start button returns with Blue, will you use it?

Will you use the Start Button?

• Yes! I want the Button back where it should be.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like windows 8 the way it is.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Not bothered either way..

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LoL, I have listened to that for years from people that only half way know what is going on. It's like really? You really want to predict something like that? *facepalm* I really believe that Futurama had it right and there will be a Windows 3K. Like it or hate it, the fact still remains that Windows 8 is the start of a new level and outlook for computing. People can either stop complaining and crying about it and learn to use it or get left in the digital dust. Before any one says anything, I didn't say any one had to like it, I just said learn to use it. Technology wont stop changing and evolving, and neither should it have to. It is our jobs as people to change and evolve along with it. If you don't grow and learn your become stagnant, stagnancy breads ignorance, ignorance and arrogance is the down fall of any society. Just saying.

LoL, I have listened to that for years from people that only half way know what is going on. It's like really? You really want to predict something like that? *facepalm* I really believe that Futurama had it right and there will be a Windows 3K. Like it or hate it, the fact still remains that Windows 8 is the start of a new level and outlook for computing. People can either stop complaining and crying about it and learn to use it or get left in the digital dust. Before any one says anything, I didn't say any one had to like it, I just said learn to use it. Technology wont stop changing and evolving, and neither should it have to. It is our jobs as people to change and evolve along with it. If you don't grow and learn your become stagnant, stagnancy breads ignorance, ignorance and arrogance is the down fall of any society. Just saying.

Back when I was a TA during my grad years, there were many students that did badly on their tests and quizzes. They would come to the TA office or the Prof's office and complain, giving every excuse under the sun. By the end of the semester, 20 grandmothers were dead and 30 dogs had been run over by cars.

The point is productivity isn't determined by something like the damn start button. If you are a truly productive and resourceful person, you'd adapt and be productive and resourceful regardless. Just like if you had studied hard you'd do fine on the quiz or test regardless of if it was raining outside or not.

I mean, really? You can't work anymore because there's no start menu? Hint: learn to use the search function to launch apps!

And to all those who keep claiming that the desktop is dead and you are forced to work in metro, try to explain this screenshot of my computer.

multiple%20windows.png

Is that a desktop I'm seeing with 2 visual studios, excel, photoshop, word, notepad, starcraft (yeah, I'm old school), and gimp opened? If you keep insisting that the desktop is dead and you are forced to work in metro, how do you explain this screenshot?

In a free market economy, it is the consumer that has the purchasing power and the decision making capability to buy an operating system or not to, and to modify it in any way they want, under licensing guidelines. Therefore, I do not agree with this sentiment. If people do not like the Start Screen UI, they don't have to like it. It doesn't mean they're in the stone age, it just means they don't want to reach 3 feet across their desk to start mashing on their 27" HD monitor. Or has consumer choice become a forgotten value in the desktop operating system market? Why would that be :p

steve-ballmer.jpg

In a free market economy, it is the consumer that has the purchasing power and the decision making capability to buy an operating system or not to, and to modify it in any way they want, under licensing guidelines. Therefore, I do not agree with this sentiment. If people do not like the Start Screen UI, they don't have to like it. It doesn't mean they're in the stone age, it just means they don't want to reach 3 feet across their desk to start mashing on their 27" HD monitor. Or has consumer choice become a forgotten value in the desktop operating system market? Why would that be :p

View attachment 25234
This is an unfair assessment. Windows 8 does not force anyone to use a touchscreen. It works just as well, if not better, with a keyboard and mouse. My dual 24" monitor system ain't got no touch, and it works just fine for me.

Your post makes it sounds like the user has to have touch in order to use 8. This is simply not factually correct.

Look, what they did, @goodintentions, you might not want to hear. But it's my theory, and as such, my opinion alone. In the later builds of Windows 8, even, apparently after the Consumer Preview, they still had the Start Menu in there. Removing it was a brilliant marketing move. Because it would forever solidify people into an argument, of what OS is better - Windows 8 or Windows 7, which, as we both know, are Microsoft's products. I have nothing against Microsoft, but I think this type of divide and conquer tactic could backfire if a cross-platform virtualization schema is created that will bridge the gap between existing Windows apps and Linux. It has been toyed with using Wine and large servers, but its not commercially applicable at this time. When that day comes, Microsoft is going to have to primarily become a software company again. Any time I have ever answered any survey for Microsoft, about what I think they should be developing, its cross-platform virtualization. I imagine no one even knows what I'm talking about when I write that. But the tactic was, either you're on Windows 7, or you're on Windows 8, and you're going to use one or the other, and you're never, ever going to talk about Linux on the desktop. Thats a legitimate marketing tactic, but its the type of tactic that only an industry leader that has market dominance can use. I suppose this is one discussion that will never end!

I regret nothing I ever say, I think before I speak, but I do miscommunicate my ideas and it seems I have done that here. No one is above change, it is something we all have to deal with. Being a college drop out isn't a factor in my opinion. I never made a grade in school over a 50, I am a three time college drop out and now have an associates. I may have started late and been a screw up for a long time, but I am doing now and am looking at doing more. My down falls where my problems, not the accumulation of lots of other factors. I think I understand what goodintentions is saying, something along the lines of...be smarter than the device you are using...LoL I agree with the idea that not every one has to like it, but don't blame your inability to use it on that one thing that has changed. My main thought is that when people are closed off to change and are not willing to work with it then that is ignorance and arrogance, the way I see it. When it comes down to it, newbie, experienced, IT, accounting, Veteran, Professional, Master, and every one on this forum all started off in the same place with the change, we all had to over come the same obstacles, but the ones that do are the ones that try to. Don't get me wrong, not every one has to be the IT of the year and know everything about it, but try a little, and if you get stumped and just cant, then call in for some back up, it never hurts to say I need help. I plan on being here for a while, I have already asked for help once and am sure I will again. Oh and Mike, awesome picture, I near wet myself LoL

I regret nothing I ever say, I think before I speak, but I do miscommunicate my ideas and it seems I have done that here. No one is above change, it is something we all have to deal with. Being a college drop out isn't a factor in my opinion. I never made a grade in school over a 50, I am a three time college drop out and now have an associates. I may have started late and been a screw up for a long time, but I am doing now and am looking at doing more. My down falls where my problems, not the accumulation of lots of other factors. I think I understand what goodintentions is saying, something along the lines of...be smarter than the device you are using...LoL I agree with the idea that not every one has to like it, but don't blame your inability to use it on that one thing that has changed. My main thought is that when people are closed off to change and are not willing to work with it then that is ignorance and arrogance, the way I see it. When it comes down to it, newbie, experienced, IT, accounting, Veteran, Professional, Master, and every one on this forum all started off in the same place with the change, we all had to over come the same obstacles, but the ones that do are the ones that try to. Don't get me wrong, not every one has to be the IT of the year and know everything about it, but try a little, and if you get stumped and just cant, then call in for some back up, it never hurts to say I need help. I plan on being here for a while, I have already asked for help once and am sure I will again. Oh and Mike, awesome picture, I near wet myself LoL

You failed to think this time before you speak. You are assuming that we don't know our way around with 8. The issue is about "not liking" it and not about "not knowing how to use it".

Goodintentions, which part of my comments is saying that Win 8 hinders my work? I use Win 7 for work. I know win 8 by heart but it doesn't mean I like it.
I have both 7 & 8. I just prefer 7 over 8. If you only have Win 8 then you dont have a choice but to stand up for it.

Last edited:
You failed to think this time before you speak. You are assuming that we don't know our way around with 8. The issue is about "not liking" it and not about "not knowing how to use it".

So you knew every thing there is to know about Windows 8 the very first time you booted it...you didn't learn a single thing after you turned it on for the first time?

So you knew every thing there is to know about Windows 8 the very first time you booted it...you didn't learn a single thing after you turned it on for the first time?
I did. I learned how to make it work like Win 7. God bless the Classic Shell developers. Classic shell made Win 8 more efficient. I don't want a fancy interface. I just want a fast & efficient system.

Last edited:
I did. I learned how to make it work like Win 7. God bless the Classic Shell developers.

That reflects nothing on your knowledge of Windows 8...only that you can use other software to make the OS you are using work the way you want it to...that is not a bad thing, and in another respect shows your ability find an answer to a question...but still has no reflection of your knowledge of Windows 8.

That reflects nothing on your knowledge of Windows 8...only that you can use other software to make the OS you are using work the way you want it to...that is not a bad thing, and in another respect shows your ability find an answer to a question...but still has no reflection of your knowledge of Windows 8.
What are you talking about? Windows is windows. The only big difference is the interface which I prefer not to use.
Do you use Linux?

What are you talking about? Windows is windows. The only big difference is the interface which I prefer not to use.

That is way off...there are many difference between Windows releases...7 started the stand alone boot partition...8 started the process of boot 8 then select OS...XP started the hype for more theme oriented GUI...Vista removed the classic domain login dialog...2003 implemented pretty GUI into server systems...the list goes on and on with the changes that are made.

"I just want a fast & efficient system."

Windows 8 IS very fast & efficient! And does not need things like Classic Shell.

Windows 8.1 is even faster. Both are more quicker and efficient than prior Windows OSs.

The OS can , also, easily be used w/out ever visiting the Start or ALL Application screens or giving Tiles any time or concern.

Cheers,
Drew

"I just want a fast & efficient system."

Windows 8 IS very fast & efficient! And does not need things like Classic Shell.

Windows 8.1 is even faster. Both are more quicker and efficient than prior Windows OSs.

The OS can , also, easily be used w/out ever visiting the Start or ALL Application screens or giving Tiles any time or concern.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1

I agree. Speed is the only thing I like about Win 8. Nope, I am good with classic shell. And that is my personal preference.

Back