Windows 7 Installing New Mobo/CPU - Windows 7 Advice Needed

STLYoungblood

Hey guys - new to the boards but hope you can help!

I currently am running a Gigabyte motherboard and a AMD PII X4 970 CPU. Based on gaming performance, I'm looking to make the switch to Intel (I guess that gamble of waiting for bull/piledriver to blow me away didn't pay off :razz:)

Anyways, I've got several questions:

1) Is it possible for me to do a repair install vs. doing a full re-install? The reason that I ask is that I have a boatload of programs, music, and files scattered across 2 HDD and 1 SDD that would be a real pain to reinstall. If it's not possible, so be it, as this upgrade is happening, but I would definitely like to avoid that!

2) If a complete reinstall is possible, how can I save some folders and files? My main drive is a 7200rpm HDD with OS on it. My storage drive has videos from gaming, my wife's back up information, and various other things. SSD is full of games. If I have to reinstall, can I just not connect the SSD and Storage drive and connect them later without losing my stuff?

3) My windows version is the OEM system builder pack. I've read all over the place that it's license is tied to the motherboard. I chatted with MS support, and they said that it should be no problem to reinstall with my new motherboard and CPU, but do any of you have any experience with this going well or not? I'm actually quite nervous about it even though I have hear straight from the horses mouth that it won't be a problem!

I'll probably have more questions after I start getting responses, but I appreciate the time guys. I'm getting better with all this PC stuff, but still learning. For those of you wondering what I'm upgrading to, it will be the i5 3570k and the AsRock Extreme4 z77 board.

Thanks again,
STLYoungblood

Hello STLYoungblood,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

Leave the Storage and SSD disconnected for the time being, yes, you can connect them later, shouldn't be an issue.

Before going the re-install route, just connect your drive to the new system, it should, in all reality, boot up.

Keep us posted

Don

That would be huge lol!

So, just because I can be an idiot and want to make sure i understand, plug all components in with the exception of the storage drive and the SSD with games and just fire it up? If that's all, that's great. Would you reccommend downloading intel and asrock drivers ahead of time to prep?

So, just because I can be an idiot and want to make sure i understand, plug all components in with the exception of the storage drive and the SSD with games and just fire it up? If that's all, that's great.

It should and it has been done, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't, worst case scenario would either be re-install or a call to MS to re-activate.

Would you recommend downloading intel and asrock drivers ahead of time to prep?

I would wait and let 7 do it's thing on the new system, then see what you need.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Don

3) My windows version is the OEM system builder pack. I've read all over the place that it's license is tied to the motherboard. I chatted with MS support, and they said that it should be no problem to reinstall with my new motherboard and CPU, but do any of you have any experience with this going well or not? I'm actually quite nervous about it even though I have hear straight from the horses mouth that it won't be a problem!
If this turns out to be the case, then I have misunderstood what the OEM designation means. Especially going from an AMD to an Intel motherboard..., but I have no experience..

Good Luck..Let us know if you are successful.

Back
Top Bottom