Windows 7 Local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration - List of solutions I have attempted

Norwood

Hello everyone. I am at my wits end. As the title states, I am without internet connectivity at home. The error in the subject is what I get when I attempt to configure my connection.

I cannot even connect directly to my router by going to 192.168.1.1. I cannot even ping it...it tells me "General Failure".

I have disabled the network card and re-enabled.

Uninstalled NIC and reinstalled.

I have reinstalled drivers, rolled back drivers and even done a system rollback.

I have tried disabling Bonjour Service, but it is not listed...neither is it listed as:
##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"

I have tried the solution found here: kb/299357 (guess I can't post links). Using both the CLI option and the Fix It For Me thing.

I've tried to set my IP manually.

I have bi-passed my router and gone straight from the modem to the computer.

I've disabled IPv4 and/or IPv6.

My card shows up in my device manager as working perfectly (however there is a listing with an exclamation point for something called "Microsoft Teredo". When I attempt to enable it it won't start.

I then attempt to enable it and Windows tells me it doesn't have any software for it.

I am at a complete loss.

This all started because I wanted to share resources across my network and I installed IPv6 because it said IPv6 was needed to share resources across a Homegroup.

Is there something else I could be missing?

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Asus M4A77TD
4GB G.Skill 1600mhz RAM
Corsair 750TW
Sapphire 5750

I've been working with computers for about 15 years, this has me completely stumped.

Let me add

I have disabled & uninstalled any and all third party AV and/or firewalls.

Reset/power cycled modem & reset router to factory defaults.

Last edited:
The Teredo is related to the IPv6..should not be a factor.

Do you have a firewall in the router?

Are you working with a hardwired network or wireless?

If you open Network and Sharing Center, check the adapter settings and make sure the adapter is not disabled. Then click on the Local Area Connection and open the status window.

Click on the Details button and take a snipping tool picture and attach using the paperclip. If there is information you do not want to make public, use paint or something else to cover it.

There is also a diagnose button you might try. The trouble shooter in the networking area seems to do a good job, if it can, of restoring connections.

Do you show any red Xes on the Network and Sharing Center?

The Teredo is related to the IPv6..should not be a factor.

Do you have a firewall in the router?

Are you working with a hardwired network or wireless?

If you open Network and Sharing Center, check the adapter settings and make sure the adapter is not disabled. Then click on the Local Area Connection and open the status window.

Click on the Details button and take a snipping tool picture and attach using the paperclip. If there is information you do not want to make public, use paint or something else to cover it.

There is also a diagnose button you might try. The trouble shooter in the networking area seems to do a good job, if it can, of restoring connections.

Do you show any red Xes on the Network and Sharing Center?

I have removed the firewall from the equation. Straight from the modem to the back of the computer -- as I stated.

Also, as I stated, the adapter is not disabled, I attempted disabling and enabling it...neither worked. Even after uninstalling it, reinstalling it, uninstalling drivers, installing drivers etc.

The network trouble shooter is what gave me the error I am here posting about: "Local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

I have removed the firewall from the equation. Straight from the modem to the back of the computer -- as I stated.
There is always a possibility you did not have the correct MAC address set up for your ISP. Therefore, going around the router is not always a good indication.

The network trouble shooter is what gave me the error I am here posting about: "Local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration"
I asked you to post you IP configuration, but you did not.

Open a command window and type ipconfig /all. Use the snipping tool to take a picture of the result and attach. If you don't want to do that, what address does your computer show?

Since it appears you are using a wired connection, is the cable good? Any lights flashing on your NIC?

Are you sure your router is 192.168.1.1?

By the way, thanks for the feedback.....

Back