Windows 7 Need help installing a OS

Firebeast

I have removed all the partitions on my hard drive(which was probably stupid) so that i could start from scratch. The problem i have is that when i try and use the windows 7 installation disk i get a message saying that my hard drive needs a partition. I have a created a ntfs partition with gparted on ubuntu(linux) but i still get the same message. My laptops screen is some what broken so i cant see the bottom left side of the screen(my monitor wont work unless iv got a os running) Can some one please help me get this working??

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Im not booting from cd but from a program called windows installer.

Last edited:
Where are your windows installation files kept? I refer to the os your trying to install now. Do you have them in a folder or on a disk?

Well if you can boot into the bios, you can change the boot order. This basically is a rule to tell the machine where to look for installation files and you need to make sure that your disk drive is first. If it already is first you simply need to pop the disk in the drive and boot up.
Your computer will then, when first booting up, use the files on the disk instead of what's on the HDD.

You'll need to watch out for a prompt asking you to 'press any key to boot from disk' otherwise the machine will boot from HDD.

Once your into the set up process you can wipe anything on the HDD and start again. This will create a new partition which once you finish the set up you can add extra partitions by way of the storage manager.

K, im in the bios menu but when i try clicking(pressing enter) any of the boot options they dont do anything at least not anything that i can see through the black blobs on my screen. How do i move them up and down the list?
when i press enter on the the screen just flashes, but when i select the harddrive (the first one in the list) i text box comes up saying the name of that drive.

EDIT: I now see that it says to use F5 and F6 to move them so i have done that and it looks like its loading from the cd.

EDIT2: K, Im now on the screen that ask where i want to install windows but the next button is greyed out, i have selected the option to format it and its still grey. How do i get it to accept and let me press next? I get this message when i press show details: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partiton style.
What do i do now? I see a delete button, should i select that?

EDIT3: Iv gone ahead and selected delete and then new and its installing now.

Last edited:
Yes delete all the partitions on the drive you want to install windows on and start again. Simply delete it and then click next and it will all be set up for you.

Thank you very much for your help, I think its now to going to install with no problems(If there ends up being any problems i will let you know). Once its done installing would you be able to help me copy it to a external hard drive(Im wanting to make a rescue disk)

K, its installed now but im trying to get it to work with my monitor so i dont have to see past my broken laptop screen

Im now having another problem, my monitor is not showing up on my laptops screen settings. How do i get my laptop to show up on my monitor?

Last edited:
You'll need to install drivers i guess. If you nip along to the laptops support page (google it) you can download the gpu drivers for windows 7 as well as any other drivers you might need.

My laptop seems to have a hardware problem, its not detecting my monitor, wifi card,and my usb(Which im trying to install my internet driver from)

bu ti cant install any drivers because the internet isnt working(so i cant get drivers from online) and my usbs arnt working(so i cant get them form my usb) so how can i install any drivers?

Edit: im going to try and see if ethernet will work.

Back
Top Bottom