Windows 7 Need to reformat drive after trojan attacks

bimfi

Ever since I recovered from the virus/trojan attack in December, my PC hasn't been the same. I keep getting a pop-up from malware-bytes and spy-bot about a smitfraud c.generic and svchost.exe problems. Needless to say, there is something happening that I can not put my finger on and realize that it is a very difficult and time intensive procedure to try to remove these issues. Now, it seems that I cannot connect to the internet on it and other issues are gradually popping up also.
Anyway, I decided that the easiest thing to do is to remove all important files from my C: drive and then reformat it, possibly wiping it also. My C: drive happens to be an SSD drive, so I'm not sure if there is anything different or necessary to do for this type of drive. Before I go ahead and take the plunge, I want to find out if there is a data wiping program available specifically for SSD drives, or is it necessary to do so for removing a virus or trojan? Would simply reformatting the drive fix any possible threats? I haven't run a back-up program for the drive, although I did remove everything that I could possibly need from this drive. All of my personal files are on other storage drives in the PC. I will most likely begin a back-up regimen once I get it back running normally. Any suggestions on wiping/reformatting will be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Did you run the real Malwarebytes?

These fake Malware thing are pretty common.
Most of my friends have gotten them at one time or another.

Before you do anything extreme boot into safe mode and run the real Malwarebytes and see if it finds and eliminates the fakes.
I've found it able to fix these problems most of the time.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Download SuperAntiSpyware 5.0.1144 - FileHippo.com

You might try SuperAntiSpyware too.

Mike

I'm pretty sure that I downloaded and ran the real malwarebytes. But, to be sure, I am going to download it again from your link. I will let you know what I found out after I run it. I also believe that I have used the SuperAntiSpyware program, but again, I will do that one also. Thanks!

I downloaded malware-bytes again and ran it in safe mode. Although it did find some trojans, it still cannot rid my pc of the pests. As far as scanning the MBR, that is easier said than done. I truly feel that my safest route in the long run would be to reformat the SSD and start again with a "clean" install. Which brings me back to my original concern, how should I clear my SSD prior to reinstalling windows 7? Should I run "secure erase" from the Intel SSD Toolbox, or just run Win 7 disc and select the "delete partition" option? Will this be my safest bet?

Hi

My guess is that all you have to do is reinstall Windows 7 and select Custom Install.
It will format the drive as part of the process.

I don't think you can format your hard drive from a boot disk like you could in the old days with a Dos disk.

Here's a video showing step by step how to clear the drive, and install Windows 7.

How to reinstall Windows 7

Mike

It is fine deleting & formatting as part of the install. If, you do format it 1st, outside the install, do a Full Format, as opposed to Quick.

Drew

As far as I'm aware SSDs should be treated no differently in operation. Formatting the drive will clear ALL programs and data - including the virus. There is no need to "wipe" the drive.This is only neccessary if you do not want sensitive data recovered from a used drive - ever. So if you have all the data that you want from the drive, you can go ahead and format.

That is correct... the fact that it is SSD, makes no difference (well, other than the fact that SSD's are so damn fine). Just do the steps @ the onset of installing & that'll do the trick.

Oh, yeah, the other thing I wanted to mention here is regarding (trying) removal of severe 'infections' & these fake A-V/A-M things are some of the worst.
1. IF, the machine isn't incapacitated to some degree, one can attempt 'cleaning' w/ Malwarebytes, et al. Oft they make running such things impossible.
2. It's a lot of fuss, time, effort & the end result is no garrantee
3. Usually best to bite the bullet & rebuild
because & here's the crux of it all...
4. One may remove some 'nasty' but, not remove the damage done whilst the 'nasty' was there
5. It's less headache, in the long run & more of a sure thing to straight away, save data, rebuild & re-install software, than bother w/ anything else.

&, btw, MSE stops these fake securities.

Drew

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for all of the excellent suggestions and recommendations. I agree, that rebuilding the SSD will be an easier task than trying to clean the "malware" from the drive. And thanks for the links to doing so.

I have been using one particular antivirus/internet security program for quite a few years (Trend Micro), but decided to remove my "internet security" program, which does not seem to be doing it's job. I went with Drew's advice and downloaded MSE. It not only found the culprits, but allowed me to run another program called "Windows Defender Offline Beta", which seems to have removed the bugs. I have since scanned my PC almost daily, and have not seen any signs of them. Kudos to Drew! I am still going to rebuild my SSD when I get some time off. Thanks, again.

You're welcome
AND
Thank you very much; always great when been able to help. & thanks for sharing your progress. As I said, removing 'infections' does not always repair, @ the same time, damage they did.

As a side note, MSE & Defender are A-V & A-M combined & one of the very best securities available & what will be native in Windows 8 & ON by default.

MSE, BTW, can be set to scan automatically on a selectable schedule.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
Back