Windows 8 Need Win 7- 64 Back !!

Victour

Really liked the Speed of loading win 8 and the new clock and background.. hated the Icons... anyway I want to go back to Win 7 because I don't like the fact that anything is hard to find.. The windows button don't take you to downloads or Documents or Programs. I have to search to find anything.. My Games that I installed to test everything work fine Crysis , Crysis war , Doom, and Quake... Quake 4 was iffy..

So Now I want to go back to 7 but all I can find that would work is to do a complete New install without saving anything.. when I added 8 it was called a Demo therefore I thought I could Remove it without losing everything.. I installed win 8 and kept all my files, but Now I can't do that with Win 7, unless you know something I Don't I tried a win 7 repair NOPe.. When I tried to update IE to 11 I was told I could not do that with XP.. ??? Also only one of my Teri bites show up The other is listed in the Bios but not the Boot record.. it is listed as a Removable Drive.. So ! please let me know what to do to get my Win 7 64 Back..

Victour:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Sorry, but there is no short easy answer to your question.
Depending on how you went about installing Windows 8 Developers Preview, dictates how or if you can "get my Win 7 Back.."
If you installed it as part of a dual boot configuration to its' own dedicated hard drive or partition, things should be relatively easy and I'm pretty sure we can help you with that. However;
if you installed Windows 8 over top of your Windows 7 installation (look for the presence of a Windows.OLD folder on your drive and make sure you back it up and keep it safe as that is where all your old data is located) then getting back to Windows 7 will almost certainly require a clean custom install.
If you can explain in more detail as to how you went about installing Windows 8 on your computer, perhaps someone will have some additional information regarding their own experience they can share with you.
Regards
Randy

You're most likely going to have to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch. Like Trouble said, if you didn't install Windows 8 on a separate partition, there isn't a way to roll back. Most who test these preview releases and beta's, usually create a separate partition on their hard drive and dual boot or use a virtual machine to run it inside Windows 7 or whatever OS you have. Like Trouble said, look for a windows.old file and save it to a cd, or a flash drive. At least you'll have some of your data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any chance you made an Image of your Win 7 OS just before installing Win 8. If so your restoration will take about 10 minutes. If not, as already mentioned, save the windows.old folder to preserve your data, then prepare to reinstall Win 7 and all your apps and updates. If it would help you can download the Win 7 iso including SP1 to save a little time. Use your original key during the installation.

This is a great reason to look into Imaging. An up to date Image with the Imaging app of your choice would allow restoration in about 10 minutes.

I'd rather stand in the middle of the town square, at high noon, naked and take a beating with a willow switch than experiment with a new OS without first backing up my entire C: drive. That's as inadvisable as entering a Nascar race driving a VW Bug.

Free, or reasonable backup software has been around as long as there have been PC's. Even in the DOS days, pre-Windows 95, there was backup software. PC Tools was a good example. And, since 1997 we've had Ghost. It was even free for a while on driver disks that came with new motherboards. That's where I got my first personal copy.

There's not even enough room on this page to list all the available Backup Software.
Personally I'm still using Ghost 2003 for XP and Ghost 11.5 for Vista, Win-7 and Win-8.

Never, never, never....muck about with your OS and data files without backing them up first. That's suicide!
If you don't have a backup of your C: drive, , , , well, Good Luck.
If I had your PC here, I could attempt a recovery, but not till I'd done a complete backup of your C: drive.
If your HD was slaved off of another computer, at least your data files could be saved.

I really do wish you good luck,

The Doctor :cool:

Thanks so Much Trouble , Bigfoot and Ted that is what I knew but did not do.. I can just install Fresh always a good Idea anyway.. Thanks Again..! Live and Learn..lol
DR Who ! I didn't come here to be Chewed out ! but for some Help ! A Demo doesn't sound like something that would take over my computer. I play Demo Games all the time.. and I don't back up the OS everytime I download a game .. Because I use Microsoft... I also installed the Demo while saving my Files and personal files.. I am not Hurt that Bad.. My Computer possibly needed Cleaning anyway..

Unfortunately a demo OS is much different than a demo game. I demo apps all the time and am constantly "playing" with my OS. I have lost count on the number of times I have restored from an Image. I create new Images whenever I change my OS, updates, new apps that I intend to keep, etc. This way when I demo something that does not work, and hoses something, I can easily get back to where I was by restoring and up to date Image.

OS demos are another matter altogether. The demo replaces what's there unless it's installed in a separate partition. My first attempt at installing Win 8 DP into a dual boot situation was screwed up because I did start from within my Win 7 OS and the installation process replaced Win 7. Fortunately I did make an Image just before attempting this. Took 10 minutes to restore Win 7 (I was trying to install Win 8 DP from the iso image without burning to a DVD). As soon as I burned the DVD and booted to it, the installation asked me where to place the new OS.

DrWHo, since I "play" with these new things on my Laptop, I have little choice but to put the second OS onto the same HD in a second partition. I do not have a USB HD enclosure, nor do I want one. I also do not have a second HD I can swap into my Laptop (I could do this but choose not to). This is why I Image things as often as I do. My Imaging now includes both Win 7 (C) and Win 8 DP (W). This works very well for me. As you probably know I use Acronis True Image Home 2011 for my Imaging needs, but any number of very good Imaging apps would work equally as well.

Ok Ted, I went ahead and installed a second 1 teri Hd and moved everything to it. so Tomorrow I will re-install WIN 7 - 64 I am unable to get win 8 to recognize a USB Drive I don't know why.. one of my 80 gig is ok but a couple WD.s won't I also download Acronis when I downloaded Seagate Wizard.. So I promise not to do that any more.. It took several hours to move 600 Gig of files.. without using Acronis.. Glad I still have Time to Live and Learn.. lol

600 GB's, WOW. That's a lot of files. Glad it was you and not me! Whew! My needs are much lower than that in data storage/file storage.

I have not tried to plug into USB with Win 8, will have to try that next. (Am presently using Win 7 because haven't had time to switch over this am, to work in a while) I have tried many of my various apps, and all seem to work. Whenever I try new apps I will up date this list.

I have Imaged both Win 7 and Win 8 DP in one Image file. This way if my "playing" with Win 8 DP screws something up I can get back to where I was with minimal effort.

Good luck with your own "playing"!

edit: Today I tried my USB ports. All seem to work appropriately. Not sure what your problem may be.

Well got 80% of win 7 back on but wondering if maybe I should set up a Raid 0 config..?? I cheated on the 600 Gig used space..730 mb Movies X 85+ .I wondered how my 500 gig Hd filled so quickly.. Now I know..

I know a lot about Raid..... I got caught in a raid once and spent the night in jail.

Seriously, setting up a PC with Raid, can make file recovery almost impossible except for the most advanced Tech's.

Using a Raid configuration without seriously Tweaking and Tuning Windows, to get rid of all, or most, of the SAFE DEfaults,
makes as much sense as putting racing tires on a Yugo.

I can get much better performance with a single SATA II HD and a well tuned Windows. If you actually have room for a second HD, then use it for Backups. Keep the C: drive as slim and trim as possible.

:cool:

I've found an windows.old folder but cannot tell if there's anything there. When I click on it, it just reverts to more folders. As you can tell I'm not very savey when it comes to the internal workings of the PC. I downloaded 8 from and email from MSN so I'm not sure how it downloaded, I just know that I want to go back to 7. Somethings about 8 I like, but hate that applications and Word documents consistently go to a "non-responding" mode. I never had this issue with 7. And to many things are non-compatable with 8. I'm ope to help on how I can get back to 7.

Is there any chance you made an Image of your Win 7 OS just before installing Win 8. If so your restoration will take about 10 minutes. If not, as already mentioned, save the windows.old folder to preserve your data, then prepare to reinstall Win 7 and all your apps and updates. If it would help you can download the Win 7 iso including SP1 to save a little time. Use your original key during the installation.

This is a great reason to look into Imaging. An up to date Image with the Imaging app of your choice would allow restoration in about 10 minutes.

I've found an windows.old folder but cannot tell if there's anything there. When I click on it, it just reverts to more folders. As you can tell I'm not very savey when it comes to the internal workings of the PC. I downloaded 8 from and email from MSN so I'm not sure how it downloaded, I just know that I want to go back to 7. Somethings about 8 I like, but hate that applications and Word documents consistently go to a "non-responding" mode. I never had this issue with 7. And to many things are non-compatable with 8. I'm ope to help on how I can get back to 7.
The first thing you really should do is to backup that Windows.OLD folder somewhere safe, because inside there inside the "Users" folder you'll likely see your username folder which likely contains all of your old Windows 7 stuff that you want back.
Once you are sure that you have those critical files safe somewhere then you can give this a read and see if it works for you.
How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

No Beta OS should ever be installed, except as, follows:

1. On a spare machine
2. Virtually
3. As a dual-boot.
4. Run from a USB stick

Never as an Upgrade or replacement to an existing, current, non-beta OS. Never on a production machine.
Nor, BTW, can one move from 1 Beta of an OS to the next or from Beta to RTM, etc... from Build to Build or stage to stage, except by clean installs.

Programs & software must be installed, after a fresh OS install.

Cheers,
Drew

I know, I know... hindsight is always 20/20

Really liked the Speed of loading win 8 and the new clock and background.. hated the Icons... anyway I want to go back to Win 7 because I don't like the fact that anything is hard to find.. The windows button don't take you to downloads or Documents or Programs. I have to search to find anything.. My Games that I installed to test everything work fine Crysis , Crysis war , Doom, and Quake... Quake 4 was iffy..

So Now I want to go back to 7 but all I can find that would work is to do a complete New install without saving anything.. when I added 8 it was called a Demo therefore I thought I could Remove it without losing everything.. I installed win 8 and kept all my files, but Now I can't do that with Win 7, unless you know something I Don't I tried a win 7 repair NOPe.. When I tried to update IE to 11 I was told I could not do that with XP.. ??? Also only one of my Teri bites show up The other is listed in the Bios but not the Boot record.. it is listed as a Removable Drive.. So ! please let me know what to do to get my Win 7 64 Back..

Victour I knew when installing Windows 8 preview it was going to require a clean install if I wanted to go back. System is rather new so I didn't have that much. Believe me, After 8 days with Windows 8, I didn't care what I lost going back to Windows 7. I'd have lost a year of stuff to get rid of it. I backed up what wasn't already backed up and flushed 8 so fast the usage stat collecting servers spun. At this rate, I will be on 7 until the last day it's support cycle. And even then I might just be like the XP users and cling to Windows 7 for dear life. The only thing I liked about 8 was having my icons at the bottom of both my monitors and even that should have been where it's a continuation of your task bar, not a repeat. I hate Metro, I hate the new start thing whatever you want to call it. Using full screen metro apps is silly. Defeats the whole purpose of being able to tile windows or whatever you like to access them easilly. I hated the missing start button, having to put the cursor in this corner to find this and that corner to find that. I think for touch screen it is marvelous. If they want to put that stuff on their phones and tablets, I'm all for it. I have no desire to buy either, but at least the UI will fit the hardware. Just leave the desktop and lap top versions as is in 7 and make the under the hood of the OS better. So Victour just be thankful you CAN get rid of Windows 8. I sure am!

Windows7 is terrific & if anyone want to cling to it forever, that's ok, too.

However, that said...

Windows8 is far superior to Windows7, that's #1. Technically, under-the-covers it is amazing & the practical results of it being technically advanced are overt & striking! It's compatibility base is huge, it's fast & demands very little in terms of resources.

As for using & navigating it...

It is really sad that ppl are getting overwhelmed by the tile Start screen. Personally, & I'm not unique, that Start screen is of very little concern or interest & gets very little of my time nor is it visited very much or often. There is no necessity for Touch w/ Windows8 & yet it is, still, extremely easy, speedy & convenient to use, do things & find things. The so-called (old) start button & menu are not missing, per se; the methodology just somewhat different in the approach. Life & computer functionality is @ the Desktop and that is still the case w/ Windows8. I am an IT Pro & have always though highly of Windows7, still do. But, using Windows8, non-stop, since Feb 29, 2012 has been an eye-opening, impressive, joy.

Given a wee bit of time, a fair chance, possibly some guidance & advice, w/ some open-mindedness one can discover & appreciate how cool Windows8 really is.

And Apps, on the rare occasion 1 is wanted...probably do want it full-screen, while using it but, they can, in fact, be viewed & used @ the same time & in the same screen as the Desktop...btw. And one can get to an App w/out ever going to the Start screen, btw.

It's darn near fun, once you get to know Windows8

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom