Windows 7 Since few days ago can't connect to home network

mirald

Hello guys,

Since two days ago I simply can't connect with my home wifi network, or the connection is lost after 20 minutes or so and from that time my home network doesn't even appear in the avaliable networks list... (Ethernet connection is working fine.) I have nothing changed in my laptop that could interfere with wifi connection. I have another laptop and mobile phone that have no problem at all connecting with the same wifi network.

I tried to reset/power off the router, this didn't solve the problem. Tried to update and uninstall/reinstall the drivers (WIFI card: Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN), but still without resolving the problem.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thank you for the time

I am always thrown when I read statements like yours - "I have no wifi connection but ethernet is ok." wifi is ethernet! There are wired and wireless connections, one connects with a cable and one wirelessly but they both connect using the ethernet protocol. So the difference between the two is "wired" and "wifi", not wifi and ethernet. (not nit-picking - just helps if we all use correct terms in this terminology riddled business!)

It would be useful first of all to look at your ip configuration (run command prompt and the command ipconfig /all to see if there is anything unusual in there - post the output here if you are unsure about anything). A more likely cause is local obstruction/interference with the wireless signal. It may be weak due to being a long way away or heavy obstruction (like a very thick wall) between router and pc. It can also be a problem if they are too close (say within ten feet). (Compare with listening to audio - too far away difficult to hear, right on top the sound is too powerful and distorts). Other wireless devices in the vicinity can interfere with the signal (cordless phones, microwave ovens and a host of other devices which may be using the same band. You can usually modify the channel which your wifi is using and you may wish to try that. Many modern routers offer a dual band facility - they can transmit on the regular 2.4ghz and also the 5ghz frequency.

@Patcooke, I'm sorry for the terminology used, but this is not my field of expertise, that's why I am looking for help from you guys. Anyway, I thought ethernet was called the wired connection, and wifi the wireless one...

Regarding the obstruction/interference I can identify no possible causes, since nothing has changed from the time that wireless connection was working properly. The router is in the same location as before I had this problem, no walls in between, no microwaves... I also tried to change the channel but didn't seem to help (and if this was the problem, wouldn't this affect also the other devices?)

The results of ip configuration:

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3889:4a27:841e:cd5e%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.132
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.Home: