Windows 7 Slow file copy

First of all - I love my RC 64-bit. Its stable, quick, excellent GUI and include all the drivers I needed.
BUT
One problem I encounter.. File copy and transfer is slow. When I copy files between SATA disks my transfer speed start up at approx 80 MBps but drops rapidly. After 20 secunds its doen to 30 MBps, and after 30 seconds more down to 13-14 MBps. This is below 10% of the theoretical troughput on Sata II. The average speed is almost the same as when I move files from a external disk over USB.
Any ideas anyone? I never had this problem on XP.

Additional info:

• core i7 rig with Asus P6T and 6GB ram
  • SSD OS drive
  • 1.5 TB Seagate disk
  • HW-raid with 5*1 TB HDDs

Kjell Arne

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. ;)

My guess is it's a mobo driver.. Maybe an incorrect one got installed by 7 or it could be that you just need to install a newer version of a SATA driver to rectify the problem.. Have you checked the Asus site to verify that the motherboard drivers you have installed are indeed the newest one's?... ;)

Hey Radenight,

You might want to check out some other posts, I've been getting a slew of these lately especially yesterday and today. Not sure why this is occurring all of a sudden.

Seems to occur on the 64-bit edition.

Hi,

I have upgraded to the last chipset beta driver on the Asus website. Same performance issues as the 64-bit Vista drivers I used. I thought that the SATA drivers was a part of the chipset package?

I now tested the HDDs in HDtune. It shows significantly higher read speeds on the single Sata-disks that reported by windows >100 MBps. BUT the Perc 5i array has a average speed of 60 MBps! Something is worng somewhere....

Windows 7 is only in RC. Recent tests show its slow at copying files. It should be fixed by the RTM.

I'd like to know where your getting your tests from because Windows 7 is NOT slow at copying files.. It's already at least twice as fast as Vista at this task and is only going to get faster as the developement continues.. ;)

Update:
The same performance issue happens on all the different scenarios I try:
- Copy files to my Perc 5i array
- Copy files between different singel SATA disks on on board controller
- Copy files between folders on same Sata disks.

I have tried to change drivers from windows 7 64-bit to Vista 64-bit and back. I have removed one and one HDD (including Perc raidcontroller) without success. I have tried a PCI SATA card instead of the MB controller. Still no change.

In all scenarioes the file transfer speed start up good and drops linaer to sub 10 MBps. It seem that the OS for some reason get more difficulties during the full process.

I would still love good suggestion on how to proceed ;o)

All Windows OSes have sucked at copying large number of files to FAT filesystems. I doubt you'd be putting FAT on HDs of a modern filesystem, but just tossing that out to rule out all possibilities.

Update.

After countless hours browsing the www and re-installing drivers, I found lots of people with the same type of problem. Most are on the 64-bit version of win7, and most also are on Asus X58 MBs. The last may just be coincidence…
By installing the latest beta version of Teracopy my transfer speed is now between 64MBps and 80MBps. It seems like fair speed. So my bet is that the beta OS still has issues related to file copying in certain situations with the native windows explorer. It may be a problem in the 64-bit version or a driver issue on Asus side.

Anyway – for me problem is close to solved.

Thanks for all input and help!

Kjell Arne

I have experienced same prob slow copy speed and reported copy time degredating to 20 hours for 4 GIG file after removal of CAPI2 drivers used by apps like youtube downloader problem was solved. The same problem in another win 7 system occured after update KB2345886 reversal of this update resolved this issue =D>

Last edited:
First of all - I love my RC 64-bit. Its stable, quick, excellent GUI and include all the drivers I needed.
BUT
One problem I encounter.. File copy and transfer is slow. When I copy files between SATA disks my transfer speed start up at approx 80 MBps but drops rapidly. After 20 secunds its doen to 30 MBps, and after 30 seconds more down to 13-14 MBps. This is below 10% of the theoretical troughput on Sata II. The average speed is almost the same as when I move files from a external disk over USB.
Any ideas anyone? I never had this problem on XP.

Additional info:

• core i7 rig with Asus P6T and 6GB ram
  • SSD OS drive
  • 1.5 TB Seagate disk
  • HW-raid with 5*1 TB HDDs

Kjell Arne
Update.

After countless hours browsing the www and re-installing drivers, I found lots of people with the same type of problem. Most are on the 64-bit version of win7, and most also are on Asus X58 MBs. The last may just be coincidence…
By installing the latest beta version of Teracopy my transfer speed is now between 64MBps and 80MBps. It seems like fair speed. So my bet is that the beta OS still has issues related to file copying in certain situations with the native windows explorer. It may be a problem in the 64-bit version or a driver issue on Asus side.

Anyway – for me problem is close to solved.

Thanks for all input and help!

Kjell Arne

I am experiencing almost exactly the same problem; I too have an ASUS board and a 64bit Windows 7. I'm running a fresh Win7 install, with almost no programs installed as of yet, and already I'm experiencing severe slowdowns of transfer speeds when copying large files (in this case old Steam game content files to a new install folder). I'm copying 3-15 GB of files of varying size at a time, and the transfer begins with speeds exceeding 20-30 MB/s, but quickly slows down to 3, 2, 1 MB/s and even below. Same happens when extracting large amounts of files from 7-Zip archives (I canceled the extract after the speed dropped down to 50k and the time remaining displayed 44 hours).

I've tried some of the suggestions in various forums, but none of them seem to help. I turned off Remote Differential Compression, tried copying in Safe Mode and using the command prompt, installed the latest drivers for my motherboard chipset and disabled Microsoft Security Essentials - nothing seems to affect the speeds much. The curious thing is that I'm not copying over a network or a USB connection, which appear to be the most common sources of file transfer slowdown; I'm simply copying files from a folder to another folder within the same HDD partition.

I'm sure part of the slowdown stems from the massive amount of data being moved; there are thousands of tiny files that amount to several gigabytes of data. But I still feel that the same operations were considerably faster under XP... Any solution to my problem yet? Windows 7 is not in beta anymore...

Thanks in advance!

WIN7 HANGS OR FREEZES COPYING FILES FROM EXTERNAL USB TO INTERNAL SATA
ANY HELP??

MAJOR PROBLEM:
Using explorer, move/copy a large folder with 75,000+ files, 4,700+ subfolders containing about 195gb from external USB 2.0 drive (Seagate IDE) to internal SATA drive (Seagate) - takes 8+HOURS and usually freezes part way through. :waah: Sometimes can't even cancel (even waiting >hour). Usually can't even shut down (must do hard power off reset). Even trying smaller folders usually results in same problem. Ugggh. I gotta get this done and get back to my REAL job!! :(

NO asian characters in files or file names (that I know of)
NO RDCompression (disabled during install)
Latest drivers (that I can find)
Never installed Kaspersky (running MSEssentials)
In SAFE mode:
First big directory (187gb, 140,000 files) copied fast (30mb/s) and flawlessly
Second and subsequent efforts met with same partial copy, then "freeze," can't cancel, hard power down needed :(

(Noticed possibly related problem downloading files from websites using IE8 - about 50% of the time, the download will stall partway through (even small files). Have to cancel and

DETAILS:
Just wiped and fresh installed Win7-64 on desktop (build 6.1.7600). Installed MSOffice 2010, Acrobat Pro 9. Configuration of Win7 included disabling Remote Differential Compression (RDC) service. Machine is delightfully zippee.

I installed the latest BIOS, and all the Win7 drivers listed on the HP website. Went to Intel website and loaded latest chipset drivers. All MS and manufacturer's updates installed and applied with no errors. System cleaned and registry scanned by CCleaner.

System boots fast, pops open apps and files, websites pop open, everything seemed ready to rock and roll.

Before I wiped my machines, I collected ALL MY EGGS IN ONE BASKET (yup, I know the risk), an external USB hard drive. About 600gb in 150,000+ files in a few hundred directories. First thing I needed to do is copy all that stuff back onto the internal SATA drive. The files are mostly pictures (.jpg, .nef) and documents (.doc, .xls) and some music (.mp3 mostly)

NOW I AM STUCK AND MY WORK IS PILING UP.... ANY HELP??? :confused:

Machine:
HP Pavilion M9600T
Core i7-920
6gb Ram
(NO overclocking on RAM or CPU)
Asus Nvidia GeFroce GTX460 graphics 768mb (overclocked by mfr)
Crucial 64gb SSD
Seagate SATA 700gb

EXTERNAL USB 2.0 enclosure by Adaptec, Seagate IDE 700gb

Last edited:
I am experiencing almost exactly the same problem; I too have an ASUS board and a 64bit Windows 7. I'm running a fresh Win7 install, with almost no programs installed as of yet, and already I'm experiencing severe slowdowns of transfer speeds when copying large files (in this case old Steam game content files to a new install folder). I'm copying 3-15 GB of files of varying size at a time, and the transfer begins with speeds exceeding 20-30 MB/s, but quickly slows down to 3, 2, 1 MB/s and even below. Same happens when extracting large amounts of files from 7-Zip archives (I canceled the extract after the speed dropped down to 50k and the time remaining displayed 44 hours).

I've tried some of the suggestions in various forums, but none of them seem to help. I turned off Remote Differential Compression, tried copying in Safe Mode and using the command prompt, installed the latest drivers for my motherboard chipset and disabled Microsoft Security Essentials - nothing seems to affect the speeds much. The curious thing is that I'm not copying over a network or a USB connection, which appear to be the most common sources of file transfer slowdown; I'm simply copying files from a folder to another folder within the same HDD partition.

I'm sure part of the slowdown stems from the massive amount of data being moved; there are thousands of tiny files that amount to several gigabytes of data. But I still feel that the same operations were considerably faster under XP... Any solution to my problem yet? Windows 7 is not in beta anymore...

Thanks in advance!

Its 2012 - Has this problem been solved, I am still experiencing this problem as well and can't seem to find an answer on the internet that can deal with this issue.

Thank you
Duf

TeraCopy could be an alternative, TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows - Code Sector. I've used it for a couple of years, works fine. Don't have any clinical comparisons, though. But you might check it? It has many additional qualities to the basic copy function.

Last edited:
Sorry this is NOT a solution its just an advertisement to fix (or maybe NOT fix) a windows 7 issue.

this forum is called "Windows7forums" not "Buymy Programforums". There must be a fix for the problem.... I just re-installed windows 7 64 bit and BEFORE the updates I was seeing speeds of 50 mb/s and better, soon the system fell to under 1 mb/s and no one knows what general problem could be the cause aside from an unknown windows 7 bug?

And the people in this forum seemed to have already lost my signon and can't retrieve it, not very helpful!

Duf

I understand your point, superduf. However, programs like CCleaner have been mentioned frequently and, having checked the rules, I couldn't really find anything wrong with my reply. If you don't like it, don't. No problem. If moderators or administrators find something wrong with what I wrote, I'm ready to apologize. Sincerely, I meant no harm, and sometimes a way around the problem is faster than banging one's head against the wall.

There's a point of Conduct, in the rules. End of this discussion on my part.

I understand your point, superduf. However, programs like CCleaner have been mentioned frequently and, having checked the rules, I couldn't really find anything wrong with my reply. If you don't like it, don't. No problem. If moderators or administrators find something wrong with what I wrote, I'm ready to apologize. Sincerely, I meant no harm, and sometimes a way around the problem is faster than banging one's head against the wall.

There's a point of Conduct, in the rules. End of this discussion on my part.

No Offense intended, a good program suggestion can sometimes go a long way, ccleaner is an excellent suggestion, been there done that.

However I would like a windows 7 solution, in a forum called "windows7forums", please don't misunderstand, no one seems to know what to do elsewhere on th einternet as well!

I did run accross a nuance just yesterday during another slow down copy I saw a dozen "searchprocessthreads" running during the copy and taking up precious cycles of disk access and will be looking into that, but I suspect a windows 7 bug,

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
Thanks
Duf

Back