Windows 8 Some files are missing.

antara

I've had a lot of trouble with my samsung laptop.The HDD has been replaced but I now cannot do a refresh or reset.I get the message"Some files are missing.Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files".The laptop came with Windows 8 installed so I do not have the installation discs.I can do a factory restore by pressing f4 on start up successfully but still shows the above message trying to refresh.Any ideas what caused this and what can I do about it?

That message will show up if you try to enter the recovery environment and the Recovery folder and its contents are not being identified (location or folder ID) or missing.

When the system comes back, you can try running a command in the Administrative command window and see if it completes.

reagentc /info

Next you might try
reagentc /disable
then reagentc /enable

If all the components are configured correctly, the disable and enable commands should help.

But as Pat mentions, it might be necessary to do some type of repair/restore to get the Recovery configuration in the BCD store reconfigured.

The result of the first command should be something like the following, but the path might be different.

C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info
Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
information:

Windows RE status: Enabled
Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\45a9a1d1-2552-11e2-8519-d25024cf0bd2
Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 45a9a1d1-2552-11e2-8519-d25024cf0bd2
Recovery image location:
Recovery image index: 0
Custom image location:
Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Thanks for the reply.As I said to patcooke,I will try these things when the laptop comes back from its latest repair.It amazes me that when I send it back to Samsung,they don't seem to have the knowledge ,the will or the expertise to sort these problems out.

Back
Top Bottom