Windows 7 Sound no longers works on my PC?

budmonster

I was doing some things with CCleaner and then I installed some over due Windows updates, just the critical ones.

After I restarted my PC(WIndows 7) I get no sound, nada. It seems like the drivers are installed, it says they are working properly and updated. For some reason I do have to types of sound drivers installed it looks like, I don't know what they are as I'm not tech savvy.

ikt79Dn.png

Any idea what I can do? I have an Asus monitor Windows 7 Help Forums a tiny speaker built in so it's simply the HDMI cord from the monitor to my PC. Screenshots below.

fYuquxh.png

PiZh4as.png

However, when I go here it plays a sound. If I click on 1 - VE247, the 1st one(I have no idea why their are two?), right-click, select properties. When I hit "test" I heard a sound. Thats it, I dont hear and movies that play on my PC. music, no sound on YouTube, etc. Only that test sound works.
wYcabKh.png

Do you have two monitors? Those VE247's are monitors that probably have available audio outputs. If you want sound to come from the computer scroll down the lower left picture and locate the sound device with a speaker icon and make sure it is set to default (right click it and select default)

I currently have headphones enabled.
audio.PNG

As neemo's suggestion is quite likely to work, just in case, I'm posting a thread that helped another User here solve his sound problem in Win8. Take a look, as it contains detailed troubleshooting steps in case you have a hardware failure such as failed RAM memory sticks or a Hard Drive. That PC is going on 8 years old, so if you have never replaced the Hard Drive in it, it's quite likely failing, and that can cause all kinds of problems that look like software or even virus issues.:skull:
You should know that Hard Drives in modern computers (built 2009 and later) are only designed to last 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops!o_O

Here is that link on solving sound problems: Sound Issue

If you get stuck or have questions; post them back here to this thread. We are here 24x7x365.

And, before doing any kinds of Windows repairs on your own, we strongly suggest that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID ANY IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Do you have two monitors? Those VE247's are monitors that probably have available audio outputs. If you want sound to come from the computer scroll down the lower left picture and locate the sound device with a speaker icon and make sure it is set to default (right click it and select default)

I currently have headphones enabled.
View attachment 34476

Is this correct?
xvnqQkT.png

I only have one monitor, Asus. The monitor has the integrated speaker. I just dont know why it shows AMD and Realtek under dev manager.

Edit: Also, the volume coming from my monitors speaker is extremely low. Is their anyway to boost it up or is just the type of monitor I have? Mine is Asus VE247H 23.6" 1920x1080 Monitor

Last edited:
Most likely the Monitor volume components have failed.:waah: The easiest thing to do, is to borrow another monitor from a friend or buy one (They are about $100 on TigerDirect) and plug it in and see if it works; if it does, you're old monitor failed, and stick that one in a closet for emergencies and use the new one, or if you borrowed one to test your machine; buy a replacement!!

If this doesn't work, you are looking at very complex troubleshooting involving testing your Hardware as mentioned, and backing up all your data to external media and performing a W7 reset or W7 reinstall from Factory Image. If you get to this point and test your internal PC hardware and all passes; this is your only option unless you take your PC and Monitor into a computer repair shop and pay a Tech to figure it out for you! If you can't afford to buy another monitor for testing, and you cannot borrow one with built-in speakers from a friend or anyone else, this is your last option--next to replacing the whole computer that is!

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Back
Top Bottom