Windows 7 Sudden shutdown Kernel Power 41 63

diabloclock

Honorable Member
After looking around the internet I've noticed this problem is quite common but...
As long as I am not playing a game my computer runs fine for hours this Critical Error only occurs when I'm running a game usually after few minutes. Most solutions suggested reinstalling audio driver/making sure there is only one. Well I only have one, it's up to date with one audio device running and was reinstalled a couple of days ago. I'm not yet sure if it occurs in every game which I am checking now so far I've experienced shutdown while playing Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033. Critical error is always the same and always a shutdown even though Restart On System Failure is unchecked. Here is the entire error

BODY{font:x-small 'Verdana';margin-right:1.5em} .c{cursor:hand} .b{color:red;font-family:'Courier New';font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none} .e{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .k{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .t{color:#990000} .xt{color:#990099} .ns{color:red} .dt{color:green} .m{color:blue} .tx{font-weight:bold} .db{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;border-left:1px solid #CCCCCC;font:small Courier} .di{font:small Courier} .d{color:blue} .pi{color:blue} .cb{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;font:small Courier;color:#888888} .ci{font:small Courier;color:#888888} PRE{margin:0px;display:inline} - <Event xmlns="Link Removed due to 404 Error">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-04-26T18:44:21.217200000Z" />

<EventRecordID>272434</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Rob-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Also attached is my dxdiag.I've ran RAM diagnostic and it found no faults after 13~ thorough checks. I will try reinstalling audio driver again as well as check whether all of my games trigger this error. I did run the System file checker from CMD cannot quite remember the command now and it showed returned no faults. Thank you and I am looking forward to possible solutions.

So far only Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2 have caused this error.
Just noticed I have missed a latest video card driver. Will attempt to try again after updating that.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    29.4 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
actually It might have been it. After updating the driver It doesn't seem to crash anymore. Should've known better to check more carefully before posting

Update: Problem still exists. Bad Company 2 that didn't trigger the error before does this now but after a longer while. What was about 5-10 minutes in Just Cause to is now about half an hour or so before it shuts down again with the same error

Last edited:
Please can nobody help me it's been months since this has been happening I have no idea what is possibly causing this

Those games are very intensive and you card is probably working very hard. I would suggest first, you open the case and maybe even put an extenal fan blowing inside. Are you monitoring the video card's performance?

If you lower the resolution or graphics quality, does it make any difference?

Have you gotten a minidump file you could zip up and attach?

Those games are very intensive and you card is probably working very hard. I would suggest first, you open the case and maybe even put an extenal fan blowing inside. Are you monitoring the video card's performance?

If you lower the resolution or graphics quality, does it make any difference?

Have you gotten a minidump file you could zip up and attach?

It never generates a dump. And no changing resolution or graphics settings doesn't make a difference. Error occurs on a bit older games too which should and do run just fine on highest settings like Team Fortress 2 and The Witcher.

What I did notice is this sound that's sort of like HDD grinding but it doesn't come from any of my HDDs but something else. Like these sort of "ticks" like a watch does.

I don't recognize the description or your sound. I have had situations where a game shut down, but not the computer and the sound kept going, but it sounded like studdering.

It may be shutting down in such a way it does not generate a minidump file, but if you have not already checked, open the System control panel-Advanced System Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery button and see if it is set to Small Memory Dump rather than Kernel dump.

Changed it to Small Memory Dump still no dumps generated. And reboot happens regardless of that ticking noise I heard earlier so it might be irrelevant

Problem has expanded somehow. I just experienced the same kind of crash but I wasn't in any gaming application but rather Firefox. System had absolutely NO changes during the past days but now it seems to suddenly shut down even when I'm not playing anything.

false alarm shutdown when not running a game application happened only once and hasn't happened again since. I still get the shutdowns during games. What I don't understand is why only some games do it but others don't. It doesn't even matter how demanding they are though with very little demanding games never do crash like Killing Floor, CS 1.6 while some more demanding games ran at maximum like Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, some ran on lowered settings like Just Cause 2 run without crashes while other less demanding games - Witcher, Left4Dead2 (lowered to about medium settings) do crash after about an hour or so. Splinter Cell: Conviction runs smooth with a few hiccups on maximum settings and actually runs longer before crashing compared to The Witcher. It just seems very random to me.

One thing crossed my mind. None of this ever happened until about the time Metro 2033 was released since it was the first game during which I ever experienced this and later it appeared games that previously ran fine. Anyways is reinstalling W7 an idea? Could it possibly help in this situation? (I did run SFC /scannow and a few registry checking programs. SFC came up clean and the programs did fix a couple of errors in registry)

Last edited:
All games are not alike. Even thought it may appear to be more demanding, or not, some games are more CPU dependent than others. Maybe they use more memory.

Something you might try is running the Resource Monitor while playing in a window and see if any components show more activity prior to the crash.

I just installed Metro 2033 so maybe my system will start behaving as yours.

It's very likely that the video card is overheating. Just Cause 2 started to crash the same way when I increased the graphics settings. So I took a shot and aired out the dust from the GPU fan and also decided to see if fresh thermal paste is needed. And yes the old patch/paste is pretty much near completely solid to sand structure. Makes sense since I bought my v-card from an internet store. My experience so far with them have been barely adequate at the best. So now I replaced the grease bot don't have much time to test so I'll report back back whether this did the trick.

Well that definitely delayed the crashes. Just Cause 2 runs on longer on the elevated settings but still crashes and v-card after that is seriously hot. Just Cause 2 IS a demanding game after all and I'm not surprised. It still doesn't explain Witcher or L4D2 crashing.

Here's a wierd thing it ALWAYS shuts down with this error when I attempt to play the dice poker minigame in The Witcher. Currently at chapter II and I have to play poker with Elven Convict but it crashes almost immidiately right after I click "Roll Dice".

Back
Top Bottom