Windows 7 System image back up problem

automagp68

I am have a major issue backing up my computer.

I have tried many things, here is the scoop

It is a win 7 machine attemping a system image backup. It is being backed up to a HORNETTEK JBOD 3.5 Enclosure with a 1TB western Digital drive in it. I can see and access the drive as normal.

When i start the back up it starts just fine and crashes at the lsat possible second before completion.

There is no firmware for the enclosure. I have resen permissions on all drives. Both my C and the destination drive. The drive is NOT USB powered although i did reconfigure the USB power settings.

No one seems to be able to help me. Does anyone have any idea?

Here is the error it throws

Any help would be so greatly appreciated

backup snip it.JPG

Thanks for the reply. I have completed that previously and returned no errors

I also did the. Automatic shadow copy fix alot of others have suggested. None of these fixes have worked

Which model do you have exactly?

Are you using a Desktop or Laptop? If Desktop, could you move the drive to an internal position out of the enclosure?

It seems the backup with close itself out during the last phase of the image. Do you have any Anti-virus software that might be interfering?

Did the enclosure come with any software you loaded or special formatting?

Do you have an option to make a Network backup for testing?

Which model do you have exactly?

Are you using a Desktop or Laptop? If Desktop, could you move the drive to an internal position out of the enclosure?

It seems the backup with close itself out during the last phase of the image. Do you have any Anti-virus software that might be interfering?

Did the enclosure come with any software you loaded or special formatting?

Do you have an option to make a Network backup for testing?

Hi
This is a laptop

No anti virus at all. It was actually on my to do list but i have read on this particular problem how anti virus can screw it up.

The enclosure came with no software. There is no updates, utilties, or firmware and it acts normally any other time. I was also able to back up other machines to the enclsure, all win 7 machines including my virtual machine on my macbook air with no issue at all.

No option for a network back up as i do not have the infurstrcuture.

All the usual fixes for this issue have not worked.

Also I tryed the windows vista fixed mentioned above and that did not work either.

Im really stuck. Im pretty comp savy as im an engineer but im at a loss this time.
Sorry for typos im mobile on my phone

Hi

I'm not sure if this will work because I haven't worked with Windows Backup much.

But, can you back up the drive to your internal drive and then copy the backup file to the external drive.

I know you can do this with Ghost or Acronis because they will allow you to search for a backup file. They will say it's not a good idea to backup to the same drive but they will let you do it.

Or perhaps you could create a new partition on your C:\ drive and backup to that first and then copy it to the external drive.

I recently partitioned my main drive and it was very easy and quick to do.
Just make sure you completely defrag it first do all the files are on the front of the drive.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions mike

Sadly those really arnt options for me.

However here is the lasted update on this 3 week long nightmare

After trying again yet another back up after trying the "vista fix" mentioned before, and also the automatic shadow copy i now get this new message

This is starting to really frustrate me.

latest.JPG

Im starting to pull my hair out and to top it all off everytime i try and do a back up and it fails somehow it is using a 100 gig on the destination drive and when i delete the failed backup to get the space back it only gives me about 90 or so gig back. So where is my space disapearing to now?

Also now it appears i have a shawdow copy problem and an input output problem!

If anyone else has any suggestions i would be so greatful. Cant take much more of this. And this machine is very important and currently not backed up

Thanks

Last edited:
I would look at some other backup software. People seem to have mixed results with Windows backup. I use Acronis and run it from the rescue CD. Paragon,EaseUS,and Macrium have free editions. They aren't full featured but will make a system image. Acronis is paid I think they may have a trial edition.
Joe

Hi

I'm a big fan of free software, but backing up my computer is so important that I purchased Acronis True Image.

It's very easy to use and I think they have a trial version so you could make sure it works before you buy it.

I have some files going back 15 years or so, so I have both my internal drives backed up to multiple external drives and now that online backup is getting cheap I may do that as well.

Do you have a lot of stuff already on your external drive?

If not. I wold copy what you don't have on you hard drive, to your hard drive and format the external to make sure you get all your space back and that it's clean, then try again.

The other thing that I would recommend it that you just copy all of your important files to the external drive.

I have one drive that doesn't have any backups on it, just all my data copied with no compression so that they are always accessible no matter what my backup software is doing.

If I have to reset my computer and install Windows and all my software again it's a pain, but not like losing my files.

Mike

Can you get us a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management windows with the drive attached? Use the paperclip.

There is a chance there is something on your system that is stopping the backup. If you have a folder or some reference to another location the backup cannot copy, it might throw an error. If the image backup goes normally through the picking a backup location and sees the drive OK, posssibly this is your situation.

Make sure you are not backing up the backup. Are you imaging just the primary partition and the System partition, if you have the small one?

Thanks for the idea mike

@ saltgrass,

Here is the snip it. The enclosure houses 2 drives. the 500 Gigdrive you see is formatted for my mac and uses time machine but it still shows in explorer. The backup destination is the "1TB" drive.

Here is the snip it.

I am really at a stand still and would really prefer not to use third party software. I just dont trust it at such a crucial moment.

latest 1.JPG

I don't have any more ideas but I trust the Acronis True Image more than the built in Windows backup.
Joe

I see you have an OEM partition on your Windows 7 drive. Someone, I believe Trouble, asked if the OEM backup or restore utility might supersede Windows Backup.

I asked earlier, which partitions exactly are you trying to image? If you are doing more than C:, try the image with just C:

I run a UEFI system and know the EFI partition is only on the boot drive. Don't know much about Macs or Time Machine, but when problems arise you cannot explain, look for something out of the ordinary. Perhaps having the other drive is messing things up.

@ saltgrass

No no i think you misunderstood me

That other drive is just sitting in the enclosure, The enclosure is a dual bay

that 500 gig drive is just the other bay thats all
Thats what i was trying to let u know.

The toaster houses two 3.5 inch drives. One dedicated to my mac the other to my PC

I am so stuck right now im starting to get really pissed off. This is why more and more people run ubunto or lion

You stated in an earlier post you have no AV. This should have been your first item on your to do list. There may be a virus or other nasty preventing what you are attempting. I would get an AV and AM (if you do have a virus it may prevent you from doing this) or try a good online scanner (may also prevent this). You may have to boot into Safe Mode and check for these.

Have you even tried a different app than Win 7 Backup? As stated by several people the Win 7 app has mixed results. Several other excellent alternatives have been mentioned.

You stated in an earlier post you have no AV. This should have been your first item on your to do list. There may be a virus or other nasty preventing what you are attempting. I would get an AV and AM (if you do have a virus it may prevent you from doing this) or try a good online scanner (may also prevent this). You may have to boot into Safe Mode and check for these.

Have you even tried a different app than Win 7 Backup? As stated by several people the Win 7 app has mixed results. Several other excellent alternatives have been mentioned.

Ted

Sorry i screwed up earlier, i failed to mention that i did install windows security essentials scanned and then disabled because i have read it can screw up the backup

Like many others here I use Acronis all the time. Did you ever get to check this out:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi, yes i looked at the link.
I tried its procedure but its not exactly the same thing because of the diferent OS but i did try it and still no help
Actually doing this fix is what gave me the double error now. So now its an I/O error and a shawdow copy error

so let me ask about this thing since u guys seem to like it and im starting to be anti microsoft after my last two nightmares both which are unresolved

See if i use acronis to back up, say something fails and i need to use the back up.

I install windows 7 and click restore from an image, and it takes the acronis image no problem?

Or do u have to build the new machine, and then install the acronis utility then restore from there utility?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom