Windows 7 "This computer is not running genuine Windows"

When you try whoosh's solution, use the CD .. command to backup to the higherlevel directory. type cd .. and hit Enter again so you are at the C: prompt.

Now try running the script again. You should see some type of message stated Successful or activated, rather that just bringing you back to the users directory with no message.

I appreciate the response and effort, but, Link Removed due to 404 Error. Maybe the IP that I'm trying to apply is on one of Microsoft's blacklists?

Try looking in the c:\windows\system32 directory and see if you have this file.....slui.bak.

If so, rename it to slui.exe and restart your computer

Try looking in the c:\windows\system32 directory and see if you have this file.....slui.bak.

If so, rename it to slui.exe and restart your computer

I remembered a little while ago that I renamed slui.exe to something else, because someone suggested to do so. I F2'ed it back to slui.exe, rebooted, tried Whoosh's solution again, but I'm still receiving an error. Also, there's another file called slui.exe.mui, if that's significant in any way.

EDIT: Oh, and, I forgot. After restarting my system, my wallpaper reverted to solid black, and I got this screen upon start up.

Last edited:
No, the slui.exe.mui file should be placed in the c:\windows\system32\en-US directory.

Now try Orbit's patch again

Install PlusPatch
Install the Win7 Product Key
Activate Online

Renaming the slui.exe file might be the reason for all this, when you activate it modifies this file and if it doesn't exist, it can't be modified and cannot be truly activated.

FORGOT....Do these two files exist in the system32 directory:
slwga.dll
slmgr.vbs

If all goes well, you can also enable Dreamscenes, they are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the slui.exe.mui file should be placed in the c:\windows\system32\en-US directory.

Now try Orbit's patch again

Install PlusPatch
Install the Win7 Product Key
Activate Online

It said successful, and yet, nothing happened. >_< Are there any other working patches out there?

FORGOT....Do these two files exist in the system32 directory:
slwga.dll
slmgr.vbs

I's got both of these.

You're making this tough, aren't you:)

Create a restore point before doing this as I don't want to hose your system

Actual, whoosh was right, you don't have to back up to the c: prompt.

Try running this command from the command prompt:
slmgr /dlv

This will give you the Activation ID. This screen will stay up, so you can type the Activation ID in.

Now type slmgr.vbs /ato (enter the 30+number activation ID)

Something like:
slmgr /ato bfb30674-7-c9a-4624-****-**********

You're making this tough, aren't you:)

I'm sorry. XD

Create a restore point before doing this as I don't want to hose your system

Okay, done.

Actual, whoosh was right, you don't have to back up to the c: prompt.

Wee.

Try running this command from the command prompt:
slmgr /dlv

This will give you the Activation ID. This screen will stay up, so you can type the Activation ID in.

It did no such thing. I hate this.

Great

Go to Run, and type winver and see if your name is shown under the Licensed to:

Or open a file with Notepad or go to Control panel and see if you receive any messages like in the past

Great

Go to Run, and type winver and see if your name is shown under the Licensed to:

Or open a file with Notepad or go to Control panel and see if you receive any messages like in the past

Here.

I don't think anything changed. I'm still told that I'm not running a genuine copy, and opening control panel still brings up a window saying I have to activate.

Try running sklmgr.vbs /dlv again

Same result - I'm told I don't have a product key. Well, when I installed the OS, I never entered one. I figured I'd run the patch after I was up and ready, and everything would be well. I don't know, it worked with build 7k.

Try slmgr.vbs /ipk <put in your product key>”

Then run slmgr.vbs /dlv "to see if the Activation ID is displayed".

Then slmgr.vbs / <enter the 30+number activation ID>

That's about all I have.

So you got the error message running the first command?

There are so many switches and options, it's hard to tell in what order they should be executed.

I'm going to mess around with some 3rd-party utilities, make some changes to my system using the commands I've already given you and capture all changes in the registry.

I also have to go down a bottle of Jack Daniels and smoke about 5 cigarettes, be back in about 1/2 hour.:D

So you got the error message running the first command?

Affirmative.

There are so many switches and options, it's hard to tell in what order they should be executed.

I'm going to mess around with some 3rd-party utilities, make some changes to my system using the commands I've already given you and capture all changes in the registry.

I also have to go down a bottle of Jack Daniels and smoke about 5 cigarettes, be back in about 1/2 hour.:D

Okay, thanks a bunch. ^_^

No Problemo,

I was able to reproduce your error stating "Software Licensing Service - Error: product key not found.

these are the steps I'd like you to try:

1.Command Prompt:

slmgr.vbs /cpky
slmgr.vbs /upk

2. Orbit's plus patch:

Install using Run As Administrator

Choose option A>
Enter your choice ( I chose A)
Choose option C>

Reboot

Success?:D:frown::eek::eek:

No Problemo,

I was able to reproduce your error stating \"Software Licensing Service - Error: product key not found.

these are the steps I'd like you to try:

1.Command Prompt:

slmgr.vbs /cpky
slmgr.vbs /upk

The first command worked fine, however, the second brought up an error telling me the product key wasn't found.

2. Orbit's plus patch:

Install using Run As Administrator

Choose option A>
Enter your choice ( I chose A)
Choose option C>

Perhaps I'm using the wrong version of the Plus Patch. When I press A, there are no further options within that command for me to take. I press A, and it does the rest on its' own. Is this how its' supposed to look?

Back