Windows 10 Version 10240 some issues...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I have some new issues with version 10240.
One is that many of the Apps either won't open or open and close immediately.

This isn't true of all of them but it is for Mail, People, Calendar and the Store.

All of these worked in the previous builds.

Weather, Getting started and several others work OK.

I still don't have the dropdown menu from the Start Button active except for the basics, Run, Shut Down and Search.

So far everything else seems to work.

All of my software starts from the Start Menu this time.

So far nothing serious that I can't find a way around.

Mike

All opening 100% here, Mike. - Upgrade build on an old i5. I think it would be a good idea if you made a fresh install somewhere on your hard disk(s) to make sure you are not carrying over any inherited problems.

I am not at all sure how the "App" update system works, but wouldn't that be automatically taken care of with the upgrade??

In my case, I haven't looked in the store for many builds, yet the Apps are working for me - even on my fresh install.

After following this thread, I did a search for updates in the store, and a message came up saying none were available.

Hi

I think they said no clean install until retail now?
I can open the Store but it just stays blank, I do plan on doing a clean install once the ISO for retail becomes available.

I've been carrying the right click thing along for several builds but the other stuff all worked in the last build.

The apps that won't open from the Start Menu seem to open from other links.
For example the calculator will open from my keyboard key.

Well there's nothing I can't work around until the retail build, but I was hoping this would be pretty much bug free.
I don't know what could cause the links on the right click drop down from the start button to be dead.

All of the stuff will open from the file the links point to?

All the software and games that I've tried run normally.
It's only the Windows Apps that are glitchy.

Mike

Hi

I think they said no clean install until retail now?
Not really. They said no clean install for now.
I can open the Store but it just stays blank, I do plan on doing a clean install once the ISO for retail becomes available.
Is this really a bad thing? I don't use their store. Like 99% of the rest of the world, I buy my software from the manufacturer or from a store.
I've been carrying the right click thing along for several builds but the other stuff all worked in the last build.
Good thing they're putting a smiley face on the dumpster.
The apps that won't open from the Start Menu seem to open from other links.
It's still not done, but it almost is, so don't expect that to change. We'll probably have 5,000 posts about it by the end of the year if its a problem that everyone has.
For example the calculator will open from my keyboard key.
It's probably so you can figure out the price after one year. (bad joke)
Well there's nothing I can't work around until the retail build, but I was hoping this would be pretty much bug free.
I don't know what could cause the links on the right click drop down from the start button to be dead.

All of the stuff will open from the file the links point to?

All the software and games that I've tried run normally.
It's only the Windows Apps that are glitchy.

Mike
Clean install and hope for the best or go back to Windows 8 until July 29th.

Hi

I have some new issues with version 10240.
One is that many of the Apps either won't open or open and close immediately.
Really, you should stop continually updating your operating all the time. Every day, there is some problem. I empathize with you, to a point, but every single day, something is wrong. You should create a stable build, use that as your main backup, and the rest should be for testing. Lest we learn tomorrow your computer won't stop beeping and the keyboard types in reverse.

There are really too many unknowns regarding activation. But they have locked out the prior build activation keys, so don't try that route.

If you loose your activation status, you will probably not be able to get it back.

I upgraded to 10240 on a VM. Can I use that key I found with Speccy to make a clean install on a new VM? Is there a file you can copy from the old to the new that will activate the new clean install? There was one in XP I think WPA or something similar.
Joe

Well only 12 days to go until the "Real Thing?" then I'll update and when I can get an official ISO I'll reinstall on my other hard drive then reinstall all of my software, and see what happens.

As far as the apps go, I haven't found any that are really useful except maybe the Weather App, that seems to work pretty well.

I just want it to run my Graphic Arts software and my games.

Still don't have a clue as to how I'm supposed to register the install after I do a clean one on a different drive.

Mike

Hi Mike.

There is an update now available (Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3074665)). According to KnowAul, this covers more than security, but also bugs already reported in 240. Know idea why they called it a security fix. It might (?) help with some of your bugs.

The latest "Security" update seems to be related to some folks having problems with their Insiders settings and being told they needed to rejoin the program.

One person even showed the "Ring" was Retail instead of WIF. I just checked my system I did the clean install on and it shows Retail instead of WIF. The system with the Upgrade install still shows WIF. Maybe I already have a Licensed version of 10.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

With all the changes going on concerning the 29th, we may see several anomalies popping up. It will be interesting, but also confusing..

Back