Windows 7 Very annoying explorer.exe issue

gpd955

I have had a problem after upgrading Windows 7 over Vista Home Premium. Spent at least 6 hours on the phone back and forth with Dell tech support and they could not help. Originally it was thought to be a video problem but all of their fixes did not work.

When I installed 7, it went fine and worked well for the first few days. Then for a day or two, the desktop would not load then would after shutting down the computer but a simple restart fixed the problem. On Saturday, just the black screen with cursor. Was able to ctl-alt-del to task manager and start desktop by typing explorer.exe. It works fine from that point.

I've run virus checks, reinstalled 7, and done countless adjustments with tech support with no fix. I've checked the support forums and most are specific to Vista issues and not Windows 7. I've looked at the Vista fixes, most of which lead me to the registry, but all of the things that I am told to check for are there (explorer.exe in the shell folders, etc.). Can anyone help with this??

Are you showing any error or warning messages in the Event Viewer?

Have you looked to see if you have gotten updates just prior to the problem.

Have you tried a restore prior to that date? Checked for newer drivers?

Does it do the same thing if you start in Safe Mode?

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit?

Are you showing any error or warning messages in the Event Viewer? The most recent message is
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

This message appears a few times over the past few days (there's about 8,900 entries and only a few of these errors)

Have you looked to see if you have gotten updates just prior to the problem. I did not notice if it updated before the problem started.

Have you tried a restore prior to that date? Checked for newer drivers? I did, and it did not work. I also reinstalled Windows 7 and no change. The only driver updates were the ones the Windows did on the new install.

Does it do the same thing if you start in Safe Mode? Safe mode starts fine.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? 64bit

Back